Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Cloudy here in carrick most of this week very depressing 😞 hopes that stubborn clouds fecks off 😑

• Registered Users Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭pad199207

After what seems like non stop sunshine all week, cloud has arrived in S Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Today was the warmest day of the year so far, with 21.6°C recorded at Moore Park, Co. Cork

The highest temperature ever recorded for May was 28.4°C at Ardfert Liscahane, Co Kerry in 1997.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

That's really interesting about the highest ever May temperature. Great to hear we hold a record for good weather in Kerry.😀

In fact I remember that heatwave in May 1997. I remember it for not being there. I was living in Dublin at the time which didn't have that heatwave, while amazingly over south west it was a scorcher. I remember being so jealous that I couldn't be there. Dublin jealous of Kerry for its weather for a change.😄

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The ECM was predicting for today higher temperatures a couple of days ago and on the earlier run this morning slightly overdid the temperature predictions and GFS slightly under predicted.

ARPEGE was good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Rare that Cork gets the highest but I'm most surprised at Wexford being right down there with poor Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It looks like May will end up being a very dry month.

Mace Head is showing 30.6mm which is well below the long term average of 81.7mm.

The past 2 years had 60mm and 106mm.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The dry May was well needed after a very wet first half to January, all of March and much of April. Fingers crossed we get a reasonably dry June to August period. It can rain all it likes again from mid September onwards into Winter.

Another very dissapointing day here in Meath, this morning was sunny but a wall of cloud has put an end to the sun once again.

Post edited by Gonzo on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

Regarding the rain. It's only last week and this that cattle and horses have been moved outside onto pasture.

Today follows a familiar pattern. Lovely morning for an hour or two. Then wall to wall cloud. Frustrating. No doubt by 8 or 9 pm the cloud will roll back and we will have a clear sky.

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Stunning morning Meath.

Cloud rolled in around 130pm

Dull and overcast 19⁰

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Stunning day in Greystones with wall to wall sunshine all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Not a cloud in the sky in cork city again today, out sunbathing all day, drink in hand. Long may it last. Unfortunately heading to Alicante next week, where it.... Doesn't look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭highdef

Another day of wall to wall sunshine in Torremolinos however some altocumulus have just arrived, signalling instability in the atmosphere. Thunderstorm warning in place from midnight till midday tomorrow and once that system moves off, it's looking settled with lots of sun and temperatures in the mid 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭adocholiday

The weather has been just perfect in South Wicklow since last weekend. Long sunny days, the last 2 days with unbroken sunshine until evening. This is the sweet spot for me, warm and sunny enough to sit out comfortably and little to no wind. Once we go above 20 I get cranky! Long may it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A nice 22 degrees at Shannon and Valentia at 5pm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭pad199207

Another stunner of a day in S Wexford, blue skies all day long. Fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,119 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

23°c in Shannon Airport at 6pm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It seems the south of the country has done much better with sunshine. Most of this week has been cloudy in Meath, yesterday being the best day. It was lovely this morning then thick cloud all afternoon, only in the past hour has the cloud broken again and it's a nice sunny evening.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Been mostly cloud free here around Tralee today, got up to 20.9C out by the coast and currently 17.3C

Plagued with cloud and cool breezes here until today, getting up to mid teens or so with that ever present cold Northerly all week, now so much more like summer unfolding . Last night felt a bit miserable with the overcast sky and cool breeze , what a difference today, just come in with shorts and t shirt and still nice and warm where there is a bit of shelter.

Shadows now being cast at 19.48, MR and Mrs chairs will come into use tomorrow evening again hopefully!😀

Looking at that satellite image hard to believe the south-eastern half of England still looks brown from last summer. I would have thought it would be green all over since they had a very wet Autumn as well as the wet March and April just like here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Today's highs ,hopefully met eirrean realise there's, edit : sorry I didn't see that Meteorite58 posted it ,my bad :/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Beautiful day in Cork City, quite warm and humid at times, but very pleasant.

ME's temperature predictions seem to fluctuate a lot; was forecasting 23C for tomorrow earlier, but now 21C max.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Plenty of sparks the past hour, about every 5 to 10 seconds. Think a new cell is approaching. No rain so far.

Looks quite brown all right on these maps, must have a look trough some more hi res sat pics later to compare.

Temp rising steadily in Kerry, 19.7C now at my site with mostly cloud free skies, a few cumulus bubbling up. Something especial when you get good weather at the weekend.

Bar 1025.5mb, center of the HP still some way off the NW. Set to move more over us the next few days, looks like we could see up around 22C today and looks lower tomorrow, 20- 23C or so on Mon, up to around 24C on Tues, highest temps in the Western half of the country.

Good to see decent temperatures predicted for the W and NW in the coming days and won't do too badly here in the SW also but large parts of the country getting into the high teens- 20's, improving as the week goes on it would seem and good chance of decent temperatures towards next weekend also. Rainfall looks set to be very low if any at all, only trace amounts in places.

Out in the garden doing some work in Cork City this morning and the conditions are more what you'd expect in high summer. Grass already starting to look a bit parched, all pots bone dry and the ground is rock hard. A lot of localised showers at the start of the month, but most seemed to miss me. So hard to imagine these conditions in March and at the start of April when we had Biblical rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,926 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Was a beautiful morning in Dublin for a run up to Howth summit, overcast now though. It's funny, RTE have highs of only 13 and 14 for the next 7 days in Dublin, seem pretty low for pretty much June at this stage.

A few hours of elevated lightning last night and more importantly, a good drop of rain fell. Was cloudy earlier in Torremolinos but it has cleared off now leaving it mainly sunny. Photo below is looking east, where you can see the back of the front way off away at this stage. Weather is currently forecast to be good from now on...not hot but pleasantly warm mid twenties expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭esposito

A run up to Howth summit, that must have been tough going! Fair play though. Stunning photo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement