Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭giveitholly

15mm of rain so far today and still pouring down

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Another shitshow of a day. Heavy thundery showers that annoying breeze very little sun and just that horrible light we get so much of in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lovely evening now after the thunderstorms, hopefully this is the turn.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭acequion

That "horrible light" lol 😁 You mean the gloomy light? I'll get lynched for saying this but I'm no fan of the endless daylight this time of year. Lovely in fine weather but in our gloomy climate it's just never ending gloomy days. That's one reason why I'm a fan of winter and the shorter days. You can pull the shutters on the weather. I'd prefer it down south where spring and summer days are long and bright but not overlong. We're up north and not down south, I get it. But that endless gloomy light! 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Well since 4pm the sun been shining. That turned out well after hailstones earlier in the day.

14⁰ Meath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Lovely evening in Dub after some showers several hours ago. Great start to May so far, I'll have to go against others on this thread - so here's some positivity to balance the tone! Temperatures way warmer than average for May here in Dublin, and pretty much every other ME station. Exceeding the LTA mean daily max on all but one day up till the 10th at DA. A great little storm on Monday, a huge downpour on Tuesday that was fun to witness. Can't speak for everyone, but I'll take thundery downpours all summer long. Some lovely sunshine around which is starting to feel nice and toasty on the skin.

Another two days nudging towards 17-19c to come. If we get some favours next week with the alignment of this HP, all hope might not be lost. But if it's sunny even under a colder airmass, at this time of year it will feel alright out there.

As people tried to point out in April - there are too many dizzy expectations about the weather here during Spring. April was warmer than average everywhere, which you wouldn't believe reading some of the discussion on how cold it apparently was, and so is May so far. Chasing heat at this time of year ends in one thing usually - disappointment. It can happen, but it's simply not the standard fare, there's also 19 days of the month to go.

I'm with you all in chasing a bit more sunshine, but it hasn't been cold lately (EDIT: apologies to those on top of mountains or on the coast that maybe are a few degrees worse off). Heating's been off in my woefully insulated house since mid-April, and we haven't dipped below 18c at all, spends most of the time at 20c indoors. Can't complain at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

It's a typical Irish May so far for me. Actually reminds me of 1995 a bit.. and we all know how that summer turned out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Yep been a very typical May in Cork so far, definitely not cold, some pleasant days. Plenty of sunshine too and quite dry. We must be getting away with it down here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yeah Cork hasn't been too bad these last couple of days. All of the rainfall is convective, which requires instability and a bit of heat. Cork is too near the coast for it to really kick off, so its just not affecting us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Look NW. I’ve never seen a brighter looking star

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭OldRio

Fire lit last night in this house. Fields are flooded around the area. Growth in my seedlings, in polytunnel, is behind schedule.

Co. Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Not a bad morning so far. Sun in and out and not too cold and breeze has died down. Everywhere is very damp though yesterday’s showers carried some punch. Went for a walk this morning early it was like a March morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭compsys

Spot on John. I try not to join the conversation most years but can never help myself lol.

April was way warmer than average almost everywhere (as I said it would be to Gonzo when he was saying that it was 'cold' and 'miserable' and going to be the first below average month of the year).

Temps in May are running about 2º above average so far. The next 7 days look fairly mild and settled.

Days and days of plus 20º temps are just not the norm in Ireland in April and May...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

April may have been slightly warmer than average but it certainly didn't feel it with so many wet days and deluges. I do agree tho May hasn't been too bad. The norm here in May is usually 12 to 16C especially when there is an easterly wind involved. While we have had some deluges this month, they have been in the form of thunderstorms and that makes the rain more bearable. May 2023 I will certainly remember for the thunderstorms because I've had 4 of them with one of them being particularly impressive, the most amount of thunder and lightning I've seen since 1985. I've seen years and years go by without a single thunderstorm in this area so this year is very different. Today is a lovely day and temperatures are good, tomorrow could be even warmer. The coming week doesn't look overly wet like what we had in March and April. A good deal of dry weather on offer over the coming week.

The poor weather over March and April was probably fairly influenced by the SSW end of February so fingers crossed we're nearing the end of the northerly shots and that there is something much warmer and dryer in store for summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Lovely day today in Galway City, especially this morning. T-shirt weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,845 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Amazing day in Galway. Blue skies all day. Got my first sea swim in - chilly but nice to start in May.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A glorious afternoon in Meath, gin blue skies and strong sunshine all day, finally had the lunch out in the garden and sat in the sun for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭appledrop

Omg I finally got to wear a summer dress today!

OK it was a long one and needed a cardigan with it but that's good progress.

Very late in year for its 1st outing, think the last few years the dress came out as early as March.

Tomorrow is looking even nicer, I'll put out 3 loads of washing to make for not being able to put any out for rest of May!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭appledrop

Highs of 21 degrees expected this weekend after cooler and wetter than normal spring season

Just to back up my point that it has been a miserable spring so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Claremorris 20c today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,930 ✭✭✭pauldry

A lot of high cloud tomorrow so sun will be hazy but Southerly aspect means 21c will easily be attainable. Cloudy in the West by 6pm.

Will ye ever stop talking up the weather 😏 Irish weather really is impossible to dress up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Pretty incredible that national media can just make up the weather and not actually fact check. Spring has been wetter than normal, no one argues that. But 'much cooler'? Completely fabricated.

Source Met Eireann monthly statements below:

March: "Temperature: Above average in most places after a cool start. Nearly all mean air temperatures were above their LTA for the month."

Stations below normal, just 3 -> Markree, Mace head and Sherkin.

April: "Temperature: Above average everywhere. All mean air temperatures across the country were above their LTA for the month."

And May so far is deviated above the LTA in a big way.

Anyone on the Gaelic calendar who goes by a different Spring:

February: "Temperature: Above average everywhere. All mean air temperatures across the country were above their LTA for the month."

Spring may have been miserable because of dullness and rain - but sorry, can't just make up statements like that for the sake of an article.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Todays Max

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭compsys

It hasn't been cooler than usual. April temps were above average EVERYWHERE. And above average almost everywhere (including Dublin) in March. And May is running way above average.

It has been wet though in most places.

Feel free to check for yourself.

https://www.met.ie/climate/past-weather-statements

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Makes sense, summer doesn’t start for another 2.5 weeks 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭OldRio

We had our best day of Weather since last July yesterday. Beautiful blue sky and sun. Misty start this morning but sun burning it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Great afternoon sunshine yesterday.

No sun burning anything off here this morning. Wonder will the fog and cloud move off from Meath?

7⁰ Meath

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement