Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Spring 2023 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,457 ✭✭✭squonk

At this point, damn the cold. It has its chance and blew it. Some nice scoring days with decent sunshine and reheated in the teens is what I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I see my post got no thanks. I am crushed. Anyone would think cold was not welcome around here anymore 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Bring on the warmth. Once the clocks go forward I have less than zero interest in anything cold. Looking like this weekend and next week will be settled if a little cool, a welcome respite from the constant deluges of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well that's the good thing about cool weather it usually is drier than normal with it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We waited all winter for something to happen and nothing happened. It's a bit much looking for snow during the first 2 weeks of April outside of a once in a lifetime style event. At this stage I'm looking for outside garden lunch in a tshirt style of weather.

Looking at the charts it does look like things will finally start to settled down as we head into April, but will be rather cool rather than warm, but at least it will be a break from the Atlantic onslaught.

High pressure begins to take over from Sunday but it will be chilly.

remains dry till about Tuesday and staying on the cool side.

it may turn unsettled on the Wednesday but after this pressure rises again and we go into a chilly easterly.

High pressure in control generally to the end of the run with chilly easterly winds.

We finish up with high pressure moving towards the mid Atlantic and winds still in from the east.

I'll take it, a decent break from the Atlantic but it certainly won't be sunbathing weather. For much of this run eastern areas will struggle to reach 10C during daytime from Sunday onwards and we may see some night time frosts at times.

The overall trend in the GFS ensembles is a bit milder than the 00z run, this is one of the cooler runs especially towards the end.

Not all runs are high and dry either so there is a good bit of uncertainty in how settled it becomes and how long it lasts.

In terms of rainfall expect some rain over the next 2 weeks but nowhere nearly as wet as the past month has been.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Unfortunately looking like turning fairly wet at times from Saturday , expected totals building again, not too warm either , looking relatively cool at times and about average at times also. Some signs of potentially windy weather also from around Weds or Thurs next week depending on how the Lows track.

Rough idea of expected rainfall up until Saturday and then

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Safe to say the 'dry spell' has been a complete and utter bust. Raining here tonight already after barely 2 dry days. The ensembles have quickly flipped to a very wet and unsettled outlook.

We may get one dry day at the weekend if we're lucky then back to the deluges.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The models showing an area of LP with various, depths, tracks and wind speed around next Tues or so. Still out past +120hrs so only a wait and see how it pans out . Looks like a Jet influenced system . To note ECM was showing wet and windy yesterdays run on the 00Z eased away from it and now back again even stronger. I note also that the GFS showing less rain earlier but more on the latest run but not excessive.

I see a couple of cooler days currently showing up next week most notably Weds into Thurs, has a look of some convective weather in the unstable airmass after the LP/ depression goes through with possible hail / thunderstorms possibility and big showers and a couple of white peaks maybe for a brief time.

UKMO, ICON and GEM all showing a full blown rapidly deepening storm around next Tues / Weds, GFS dropped it but wouldn't be surprised to see it back on the next run or one after. ECM big winds off shore , strong along the coasts and windy overland.

Something brewing perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭adocholiday

ECM showing very strong winds in the NW for Tuesday night/Wednesday morning now. South and East will be blustery through to Wednesday evening.

GFS has it passing through much quicker and affecting the South and East

• Advertisement

In general looks possibly strong all right but still not cross model agreement but I would think a fair chance of strong winds. I have posted over in the other thread as leaning more into that time frame https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058286254/charts-up-to-t120-spring-2023-read-mod-note-in-first-post#latest

Edit : I have deleted the post in the up to 120hrs and opened a discussion instead, strong words form Met Eireann at this early stage.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058291471/tues-11th-weds-12th-april-2023-strong-winds-warnings-like-with-potential-for-impactful-conditions#latest

Has the look of being very wet at times in off the Atlantic and a mix of some cool weather with cold nights and maybe a touch of frost and possibly getting a few days in the mid teens towards the end of the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

And more coming after it,a stormy week

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

Probably like a 1% chance of it happening but the latest GFS showing a band of heavy snow Tuesday night/Wednesday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Looks like we will be wearing our winter jacket all the way until nearly May which normal for here... since we dont get a spring and its winter from october to May...theres a chance we could be going straight from winter to summer around the end of April...we will see sure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Some proper spring weather on the way? Fingers crossed for next week.

Been tracking the warmth for a few days now and the warm up in temperatures looks to be rather short lived, maybe a few days before we go back into cooler and possibly more unsettled conditions. Uncertain how warm it will get, majority of the models gets us to 17 or 18C while some of the warm outliers gets us to around 20 or 21C.

We are currently in a relatively cool, unsettled and chilly pattern between now and Saturday. However, big changes are possible from Sunday and through next week with warmer and dryer conditions. This is not nailed in just yet but I remain hopeful that next week we will finally feel mid Spring make it's presence felt.

Sunday see's things drying out and becoming milder as we switch back into a mild south-westerly windflow.

GFS is going for very mild to warm south-easterly winds as high pressure tries to influence our weather.

If this wind direction verifies temperatures could reach 18 or 19C and with sunshine possible this will feel very pleasant indeed.

As the week progresses winds will be more easterly so not as warm but still feeling pleasant if sunshine happens.

We finish up still mild but with the Atlantic possibly making a comeback.

Certainly next week is looking alot more pleasant than this week and nowhere nearly as unsettled.

This mornings Icon was keeping winds more long fetch easterly than south-easterly. This would give more cloudy weather with some showers and certainly cooler than the GFS. However the Icon 12z has now moved in line with the GFS and delivers a nice warm south-easterly.

GEM is similar but not as warm as the GFS or Icon with temperatures reaching 16 or 17C.

UKMO also similar enough with a brief south-easterly which then turns direct easterly.

We are looking at potentially the first warm spell of 2023, nothing too warm as it is only mid April but temperatures between 16 and 20C are possible next week for a few days, especially if decent sunny breaks occur. The positioning of the high pressure is key to how mild/warm/sunny it will get. Get the winds in from the south-east and high teens are possible with some sunny breaks. If the winds stay more easterly than this is likely to be more cloudy and certainly cooler around 13 or 14C rather than high teens. One to keep an eye on especially after all the rain and cool conditions of recent days.

More under the influence of Hp and a lot more settled, pleasant getting into the mid teens and low amounts of rainfall showing up, GFS warmer than the ECM a couple of days at the end of the run. Might be a bit breezy at times but no strong winds of note, could be a bit windy at the end of the week for a time. Good drying.

Will take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Posting this for archival sakes than anything serious, these maxima a week before May on 18z 😵

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Rather obscene charts for the time of year alright and hard to stomach, should they verify, after seeing 20c plus here today. On the colder end of the ensembles thankfully but the median itself isn't exactly mild.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Those cold charts are absolutely insulting with summer now not that far away. No doubt next winter we will be plagued by mild muck all winter with high pressure stuck over France/Spain for the entire winter preventing any proper northerly or easterly.

The GFS 00z has an insane amount of scatter, extremely warm uppers +14 outliers to -8 uppers and everything else in between. We lose the reliable timeframe within 2 to 3 days from today with so much scatter.

I have a feeling this summer is going to be very mixed with some major swings in temperature to be expected, we will probably be in store for more heat plumes and chilly blasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

I think we need to keep things in perspective.

Summer is still technically 6 weeks away.

These temps aren't unheard of for mid April. And it's only a short cold snap.

March had above average temps almost everywhere. And April temps are running about average so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

After next week's cold spell is there any signs in the models that the weather might take up? Just looking for some hope!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes there will probably be a mix of mild and cold spells after next week. Some warm weather but a lot of cool weather too. Looks quite a mixed outlook to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

IMBY GFS has some patchy snowfall but not accumulating on the 24/25th. Has a tiny dusting for the morning of the 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Just for fun, the most recent 18z GFS is going for a heavy sticking snow event in parts of the northwest and north midlands Saturday 6th May!

Where it's showing the higher snow depths, it's also showing total rainfall amounts for the 24 hour period of up 50mm so I'd imagine if the conditions did pan out as expected, you'd have a mighty slushy mess at lower levels with a sharp transition to deep snow with a relatively small increase in altitude. The area showing heaviest snow is not known for high ground so I'd be thinking the likes of Corn Hill (summit is 278m ASL) in Longford being the best contender for deep snow.

However, I have absolutely no confidence of this transpiring. Just posting whilst the charts are readily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes probably won't happen but the trend is more towards cool and unsettled to start May than warm and dry. However the week after might settle down. Higher pressure appears nearby that week.

Slowly improving temperatures from midweek, ECM showing good improvement from Friday at around mid to high teens over the weekend and better again the start of the following week getting past 20C, introducing foggy conditions as well with those temperatures and cool nights, we will see if it sticks. Currently anyway not too much rain in general in the Southern half of the country. Will be showers at time and some frontal rain but nothing huge it would seem at this stage.

GFS not as warm in fact only reaching 13 or 14c next weekend and showing more precipitation, GEM even wetter, a bit milder for a few days but turning a bit cooler again, UKMO not bad into the weekend. Bit of uncertainty so as ever.

C'mon the ECM !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭US3

Any sign of warmth or sunshine on the horizon? Not a good sign when this thread is so quite

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement