Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eviction after 50 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

There are former social houses near my mother in Dublin 5 that sell for at least 500k. Houses that were provided by the state a few decades ago now are prime real estate. Isn't globalisation a wonderful thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

What has that got to do with globalisation? The state shouldn't be selling off properties for a pittance.

I think kids from council estates are a bit rougher and a bit more streetwise than the innocent little middle class lambs. At least I can say that I was much more so than say my kids are now. We are lucky enough to live in a private house in SCD and thankfully not in a housing estate, private or otherwise. My kids are nowhere near as streewise as I was at their ages. There were a few fairly rough people in the estate, one of them was even murdered in a fairly gruesome manner (won't say exactly as it would be easy to find out where I lived if I do as it was quite unique!). If you live there, you know who to avoid etc. Overall, it was only about 5% or so bad apples.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I think kids in general are less streetwise overall - while I didn’t live on a council estate neither was a ferried around in a Volvo estate 😀- it was walk to school on my own at the age of 7 onwards then bus to school on my own then cycle into city centre …on my own.

I had a great time back in the day aged 9 or 10 hanging out in the city center whilst waiting on various extra curricular activities to start, on my own in shops like Woolworths playing with the toys, going for a burger in the newly opened Burger King etc - all before the age of 10.

I know Tusla would be called if someone heard that happening today but back then I was a free agent going/coming to my various recreational activities- not a bother on me.

Enormous levels of immigration, gruesome amounts of fiat currency, globalist investment funds....take your pick.

"The state shouldn't be selling off properties for a pittance."

Correct, but it did. Like a lot of decisions that were made by older generations, we now have to pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭TokTik

Lists could be thinned out by removing those that don’t need to be on it. EU nationals who cannot pay for themselves can be repatriated. We don’t do this. Might get things moving a bit quicker.

Good luck with that. Only last year, the state had leaflets printed up that informed of the generous benefits on offer in Ireland to all arrivals, had them translated into a dozen languages and distributed them all over the world. We can speculate on the reasons for this, but the intention is clear; the state wants more people here, damn the consequences.

Ireland has in general high quality immigration, with educated workers coming here to work in the tech industry. So, population growth is good thing in my opinion. Ireland is underpopulated. Obviously, there is no reason for workers from outside the EU to be working in basic jobs like taxi driving etc, they consume more resources (health, schools for kids etc) than they contribute, so it is a net loss to have them here.

Ireland's being underpopulated is often stated here. This is a very abstract thing to say, for what exactly can be considered to be an optimal population? Usually, the justification for this belief is that Ireland has less people per km2 that the UK or Holland. That's true, but it's not a question of space as much as it is a matter of available resources. We have a shortage of accommodation and enormous pressure on services.

If we had empty houses all over the Dublin, and empty hospitals then I'd probably agree with you, but we don't.

They could probably be thinned out a bit, but I see the main issue as being the perverse incentive towards unemployment, don't work, get on the list AND get a better house than those who are working their asses off. That doesn't sit right with me. Obviously people like that still need to be housed, so they can use HAP, which is objectively worse than social housing. The other option would be they could start working and try get on the social housing list.

• Advertisement

Accommodation can be built. The highly skilled immigrants are contributing more than they take and so are a net win. Generally people who emigrate to work are fairly driven to do well. Their kids generally do well too as they still have that hunger and memory of how difficult things can be. They are a huge asset to Ireland in my opinion.

It can be built, and it is being built. However, people arrive at a rate that outpaces construction and the availability of services. There are apartment blocks under construction all over Dublin, yet rents and house prices continue to go up. I'm sure that many immigrants are fine people, but it doesn't change the situation.

Also, I thought that we were meant to be cutting emissions and looking after the environment. What's "green" about enormous construction projects? An empty field full of grass is about as green as anything gets.

Anyways, I won't try to change your mind. I'm a single, childless man with absolutely nothing to lose. If the population of Ireland is content for the country to turn into some sort of globalist hub....well I've rather stopped caring :/

Post edited by RichardAnd on

I really don't understand your points. The people will have to live somewhere, so it is better that highly skilled people are here in Ireland contributing to the development of our country. To take your second paragraph to its conclusion, if we were that concerned about the environment we could just avoid construction altogether here and have people live in tents in the green fields permanently.

It sounds more like you don't really like the additional competition for resources that you have had to deal with. But you mentioned in other posts that you could have focused more on areas of your career to get a higher paid job and you could have bought a property years ago. That is all on you, your own personal decisions.

"It sounds more like you don't really like the additional competition for resources that you have had to deal with."

I really don't see why anyone would like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A TD might have a six-figure salary, but also has practically no job security either. (which is why so many are teachers, solicitors, estate agents, publicans, landlords, etc) I suppose he could fall back on the carpentry!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JCN12

One would think the family currently being evicted after 50 years, have more of an issue with greater competition for resources than RichardAnd.

That may be so, I still think we are not quite at the point where valuable social housing should be used for serving TD's. Really if he had any decency he would give up the house and sort his family out himself. Maybe in the future when we have so much social housing we can give it away with cereal box tokens, he could apply again. If left wing TD's were not in social housing and a single FG TD was, there would be uproar about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

An empty field full of grass is basically a "green desert", it's contributing virtually nothing to either the environment or biodiversity. If we're going to dress anti-immigrant sentiment up as concern for the environment then let's at least be creative about it and advocate for all those empty fields to be planted with native broadleafs or rewetted or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Tensions rising in Kerry over newcomers in full time employment who are not being asked to contribute towards their housing costs.

The original article I saw on MSN (now seems to have been removed) mentioned many are in full time employment and actually earning OVER the limit for social housing. But it is mentioned in this one below:

If this is true, this should not be allowed to continue.

Raising genuine concerns about Ireland's immigration policy (or lack of) is not "anti-immigration sentiment" in any negative sense. The levels of immigration to this country are placing enormous costs on people, and they have every right to raise these concerns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭thomas 123

He is dead right.

Take nationality and status out of this for a second.

Person A in fulltime employment gets everything for paid for.

Person B in fulltime employment has to pay for rent, bins, power, food etc

What's unfair about what that councillor said?

< Edit I see we are in agreement, but will leave it here in support of the councillor >

He could certainly be charged a full market rent.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭herbalplants

It is true. This issue has been highlighted before, perhaps over 6 months ago. Ukrainians are on full time wages but getting still hands out like full time rent paid. It is unbelievable.

Fairly often, you come across posts from Ukrainians looking for accommodation, all wingey how they had to move few times yet underlying in their ad that state will be paying for their accommodation. How is this fair on the locals! Funny enough, I saw few looking only in top dollar areas poor lambs won't be seen living where working class live! Yet the working class paying for their rent!

Living the life

I had to laugh (or cry) when something like this came up at a family dinner a few weeks ago. My uncle dismissed all concerns with the words "Ye all needn't worry. When the war is over, they'll all go home!"

Generation Live Aid at it's best...

Many will stay and contribute. I really don't understand this middle class entitlement to be honest. It seems very "Main Character Syndrome" to me. The state isn't run primarily for your benefit as I am sure you aware. Also, I don't see any reason why the Ukrainians shouldn't have to pay for their accommodation, it should be handled at the state level.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I am not sure is it a middle class syndrome. A lot of people want everything handed to them. They waddle along with life after school/ college get to there thirties living life and it's opportunities. If life dose not fall into place for them in there thirties they look around for someone or something to blame

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

In a nutshell, thats why you shouldnt rent long term in Ireland. Especially in high cost areas like South Dublin.

This same situation will be the lived experience for many life time renters when they get to retirement age.

A person retiring tomorrow from an 100k a year job that can afford private rent today, will not be able to afford it on their pension income alone.

Huge ticking time bomb approaching for long term renters which will force many into social housing in areas they dont want to live in, if they are lucky enough to be housed anywhere at all.

There is a kind of infantisation in Irish society, interest rates go up => state should help, can't afford to buy a house => state should provide a subsidy etc. There are certainly some who think the state should act like a parent.

Motivated immigrants add a lot as they have a real drive to do well. This means additional competition for "locals". I don't see why we should reduce the number of these types of immigrants to suit the locals who don't have the same drive.

Maybe I just sympathise more with this type of immigrant as I am from a fairly modest background, rather than those who grew up in Terenure who complain they can't afford to live where their parents live. They had all the advantages growing up, so it is on them if they fail to do well themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Not the thread for it - but when the state keeps acting against the interest of those people who are trying to buy or who bought at high prices due to high rents I can see why they would be annoyed.

Take for example a new estate - on one hand you have investment firms buying property to rent, on the other you have the councils desperately trying to acquire social housing at all costs. The couple who are out working in the middle then getting spit roasted by the two of them end up taking on a massive mortgage on a massively over inflated houses. All of that goes on then to exacerbate the situation we import people en-masse who will be a drain on the state in the very least in the short term, then that lower-middle class person will be expected to support yet again. More competition on housing then for everyone, higher prices paid.

The government will bend over backwards to accommodate at all costs while seemingly doing nothing to help those who have helped themselves be self sufficient .

• Advertisement

I wonder what "Generation Live Aid" is supposed to mean. I presume just another attempt to vilify people based upon their age 😴

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement