Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eviction after 50 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Ah here! I had to give up work in my 40s to care for my dad. I turned 50 this year. Dunno when my caring role will end but when it does, I’m going to be straight back into the job market. I have absolutely no worries about IF I will get a job as I will get one.

You make it sound like women my age are geriatrics with no future prospects. I also had crazy hot sex last night that 30 year old me would be proud of. Yeah, that’s right. I’m still very much alive and kicking 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sadly it’s not.

It used to be but they bought in a new pay structure about 7 years ago. They can’t keep good engineers, the private sector is paying double.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

no investor can buy the house , the yield is to low.

mid someone pays 800k. Then they’ll loss lots of it ok inheritance tax or CGT.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If he is long-term with them and working on the engineering side I say his earning would be near 100k/year if he was a good worker.

Jobs like the ESB are often seen as a poor job during a boom when you are in your 20's and 30's but by the time you get to your 50's when in physical work in the private sector you need to slow down you earning are still increasing.

As well remember the seeds of the problem they find themselves today was made by decisions they made 10+ years ago.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭danfrancisco83

“We are not going to qualify for anything and we face living in the car,” she said.

Presumably she means spending a lot of time in the car commuting every day from Meath or Kildare, like a lot of people do? Or, is she saying that the only alternative to living where they do now is to sleep in the car to avoid a commute?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I think it is more than possible to get a job in your 50s..don't you think? Many non nationals with no English language come here in their 50s and get a job.

If not, world doesn't owe her a living and free housing.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

"They can’t get HAP, because they are over the threshold, but they cannot afford the rents, not even close to the rents that are being charged in their area."

Seems open and shut. They cant afford it live where they would like to. The fact that they have already been there for 40 years is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Back when rents were much cheaper than mortgages it could often make more sense to rent, but not now and probably never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

It is always easiest to see the trend continue (I think there must be some sort of cognitive bias) but then it changes on a random Tuesday. No reason why renting can't be cheaper than mortgages at some point in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

There are some pretty big reasons in the Irish market why any investor would demand a significant yield to invest.

I can't see that changing on any random Tuesday.

Unless the entire rental market is taken public.

• Advertisement

An investor at the moment would demand a significant yield to invest especially given interest rates, I don't disagree with that. Most people didn't see the interest rate environment changing from long term near zero to expectations of +4% ECB.

In 2006 we had property experts claiming that by 2014 average Dublin house prices would be €750k. They came to that figure by using a disco stu type projection analysis I presume (disco music sales up 400% in 1976).

There are all sorts of unexpected things outside of peoples control that will influence the market in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

I was thinking more of the 'hyperactive' regulatory risk as it was put in a recent article in the IT.

And the huge price risk any glance at the historical house price index in this country would show you - small country with massively volatile economy dependent on FDI means massive house price risk.

You also have the 'can't evict non-paying tenants' risk.

So I can't see rental yields dropping below mortgage repayments unless people are renting from the government.

I've just reminded myself of this case in the Irish Property Market thread, any updates? I presume they just got to keep living in the house under the same conditions, otherwise we would have seen RBB crying outside court for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Any updates here?

Most likely a compromise was reached where the family agree to pay an additional shilling a week rent and the house will be returned to the owner when the last family member dies. "A sensible and fair outcome for all", the judge proclaimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 agent starling

Case closed. So turns out they do own a house, yet are claiming to be potentially homeless. Can’t qualify for any type of housing aid cause he earns too much, she doesn’t bother working (why would you when you’re married to ESB wage and living almost rent free). Harassing the executor’s house. And Boyd Barrett supporting them knowing all this, what a clown. How (media) people take this professional parasite seriously…

Post edited by agent starling on

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Ah, I see. So you lease ground at a nominal sum but they don't call it 'ground rent', even though you are renting the ground.

Fuck me, there some know-alls on this place!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

So do they have to move out to facilitate the sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭Ginger83

If they own a house who is living in it? What happened with the executor?

I have no sympathy for them. They obviously believed this day wouldn't come and enjoyed a lifestyle to suit someone with no accommodation costs and now it's poor me. The wife is too used to not working and now feels she shouldn't have to.

It's a prime example of why there is a rental problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

No, it's not, it's a rare situation possibly representative of less than 1% of the housing market it has no relevance to the normal rental market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Over holding and playing the system is not a rare situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 shangobango

So it turns out they have a house in Kilbarrack.

I can't believe the Executor gave them a reference despite them not paying 6 months rent of the misery €30 per month.

What a joke these guys are playing the victims of on the back of actual real cases out there. Makes me sick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Deeec

Boyd Barrett should be very embarrassed after helping this crowd of scroungers out. It really does show what a gullible idiot he is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭893bet

A pair of **** who realistically have been taking advantage of an elderly landlord for decades.

Co owner of a home they can't use. The irony is lost on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭daheff

This is exactly what's wrong with our housing market from all sides

Somebody incentivised to rent long term.

Renting in a nice area long term because they can't afford to buy in that area.

Probably spent more in rent over that period than to buy a home at some point. And still have nothing to show for it.

Evicted because of low rent being paid./New landlord.

Landlord holding a property for >50 years.

Nowhere to go on eviction.

Overholding for nearly a year.

RBB getting involved for sympathy after all of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

LOL. Fairly easy to see where this is going.

RBB + CATU = Dragged out by the gardai in front of photographers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If RBB did embarrassment he'd never be able to get out of bed.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement