Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA 2024 presidential election

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Wifi causing cancer and causing brain leakage? Is that on the media as well when it's his own words?

Or is that media somehow rubbing him out as well? Did I mention that was a month ago? Oh, and don't forget cellphones give you cancer tumours because you hold it to your head. Yup, clearly a guy who should become president, very sane, fact based individual...

How about his anti vaccine claims from 2005 forward using two scientists only as evidence (father & son who "developed" an anti autism protocol by injecting children with an drug used to chemically castrate sex offenders that they charged $70k a year for suckers to buy). Not only that; but every single scientist, government, medical company AND non profit had been in on the conspiracy since the great depression as well according to him. But yes, he got great amounts of integrity.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, I won't agree on that. The man is completely **** insane. If you are being taken in by his bollox you really need to take some time out and reflect on that, and also maybe do some basic junior cert science

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users Posts: 28,206 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It was anti semitic dog whistling and of course you defend such a total conspiracy theory wingnut racist with false claims.

That is not what he said. This is what he said:

"COVID-19 is targeted to attack Caucasians and Black people. The people who are most immune are Ashkenazi Jews and Chinese."

And then the classic weasel words to weasel out of it after sounding the dog whistle. Not the actions of a man of integrity. The actions of a racist abusing science.

The paper cited didnt even mention Chinese profiles.

All it said was:

"It said one particular receptor for the virus appeared not to be present in Amish and Ashkenazi Jews."

RFK jnr added the racist dog whistling himself.

So you defend racist lies with misinformation.

He is disowned by his own family for his reprehensible remarks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/15/us/politics/rfk-jr-remarks-covid.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Not the first time the racist wingnut RFK jnr had family member disowing one of his vile public remarks.

This was his wife last year...

Even his wife, the actress Cheryl Hines, condemned the comment about Anne Frank.

“My husband’s reference to Anne Frank at a mandate rally in D.C. was reprehensible and insensitive,” she wrote on Twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

I did science in university and worked in the sector too. I would suggest listening to the Lex Friedman podcast I linked, earlier you seem to be blinded by your preconceived perceptions.

There's no way I can explain if you won't listen. It's like someone who's saying they hate ice cream but have never tasted it.

As I said, not mad on the vaccine stuff but the pharmaceutical companies should respond to his scrutiny and they're not. The pharmaceutical companies including one of the ones I worked for have done some seriously bad things. Nobody goes to jail. Just fines, regardless of the addiction and deaths as a consequence of corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

A quote from RFK Jr. in that interview

"And we’re making ethnic bio-weapons, bio-weapons that can only kill Russians, bio-weapons that the Chinese are making that can kill people who don’t have Chinese genes. So all of this is now within reach. We’re actively doing it, and we need to stop..."

And Mr. Great Interviewer just let's that nonsense go unchallenged. Lots more drivel from RFK Jr. throughout the interview, softballs galore from Fridman. He should stick to AI. I wonder what his interview with Kanye was like...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

No fan of rfk, he's a loon, but that's an absolutely believable concept.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The more you tell people to listen to it, the less I think you actually have.

You're "not mad on the vaccine stuff", but that is what defines RFK. That is his main 'appeal' to the loons that support him in the US, everything else is just fluff - insane fluff, but fluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It is absolutely fair to say that a very significant number of Americans hold opinions, views and beliefs that would be viewed as "a bit mental" by a majority of people in the rest of the world.

And that is true across all demographics , although quite heavily weighted to the "overtly religious, conservative" demo in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

This makes up a substantial amount of the population there. It's not a minority.

Every US president, singer, actor in American continue to speak about religion and God regularly, something that is regarded as either cringey or crackpotty in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Jaysus, you lot can't even get your stories straight. They 've been claiming for years that it was Boris who killed the negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

Boris on behalf of NATO, i.e. USA. Nothing more to say here really. Hopefully whoever gets elected won't push the nuclear button.

Very easy when its a made up story to get the details wrong on retelling. No anchor to truth.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Pharmaceutical companies prove efficacy and safety of vaccines to regulatory bodies, not to crackpot conspiracy theory loons. That would be why they completely ignore his inane ramblings.

The NATO killing a peace deal nonsense is an easily confirmed lie also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Anyway a lot of garbage polling out their, but this crew have a stellar reputation and Iowa the first state is obviously important. Trump lost last time and can afford to lose again, but if he wins its over for the rest.

He has a nice lead , RDS not totally cooked but its an uphill fight for him, Scott the best of the rest but he needs a miracle here.

Most interesting of the also rans, Pence in such a strong evangelical state is going absolutely nowhere and Vivek who has got a lot of hype is at a mere 4%. The fear with Vivek despite all the hype was he merely just someone hot online or did he actually have real support outside the terminally onlinel?

This polls suggests the latter.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Once again , the GOP can't organise themselves to mount a meaningful challenge.

58% of respondents want someone other than Trump - They seriously need to pick one (Not DeSantis) and the rest need to go away.

Splitting the "Not Trump vote" between a dozen or more no-hopers just hands it to him.

The hope the donors had the no hopers would drop out and they could all get behind one person to beat Trump most likely RDS.

The problem though is for quite a few no matter what they may think of Trump in private he winning the primary is fine for them.

Scott and Haley have refused to lay a glove on Trump who has had absolute zero reason to waste any time in criticising them, both have aspirations of been Trump's VP so they are going nowhere.

Then Vivek who many suspected and was pretty much confirmed today is running to peel away support from RDS. He doesn't need to worry about donor money as he is loaded so he will stay in the race as long as Trump needs to win.

Its going to be Trump bar some black swan event, its hard to have much pity for the GOP, maybe a blowout in 2024 may wake them up somewhat.

Oh no sympathy from me either , but I just don't understand the logic of a load of these people running and I certainly don't understand the logic of running but refusing to criticise your opponent.

They are supposed to be trying to beat Trump yet none of them are willing to actually go after him for his many many weaknesses?

If you aren't going to actually throw a punch why step in the ring?

• Advertisement

Yeah its quite cowardly and if I can spot it then well who can't?

Its also somewhat high risk as Trump isn't exactly known for his loyalty.

RDS for all his flaws will at least be able to say in 2028 he tried to win , what exactly can the other say?

Cause they are hoping the refs step in and eliminate their opponent. It's the only plausible explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Yeah, definitely feels like maybe they're thinking all the court cases will ultimately prevent him from running and they don't want to alienate his base as its probably the largest single block in the party (depressingly)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I didn’t watch it, but apparently there was a bit of a debate yesterday.

Looks like Pence, Christie and Haley came out the more electable in the General, which means there’s not a hope in hell for them in the Primary. Ramaswamy may be a good debater, but I don’t see a hope for his positions as being electable. That said, I seem to recall Haley said some odd things over the last year which may be held against her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

To me Christie, Haley and Pence came out strongest. Ramaswamy was a bit of a clown tbh. I guess he will do well with the MAGA crowd.

I guess he will do well with the MAGA crowd.

Kinda all that matters at this point. I suspect rather by definition anyone we think did well is not going to be viewed as doing well in the main demographic they are going for. For many of them it is an audition for VP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I know it wasn't surprising but it was utterly depressing to see that not a single candidate was willing to admit that Climate Change is being caused by humans.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Haley said that China and India in particular need to curb emissions. That statement makes no sense if one doesn't associate human-made emissions with climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Ha. That's a good point. Bit of a logical fallacy right there.

• Advertisement

RDS was much stronger on this in his early days as governor tbf but has clearly slipped. That version of him would beat Biden relatively easily, but heh 3 years ago is an absolute age in politics though!

Regarding the timing in March as alluded to, its going to be a hell of a visual Trump in court one day and then the rabble coming out in force the next day to vote for him in the primary.😲

The also rans in the GOP primary have tried to touch on it, but nobody outside cable news and their families listen to them, the likes of Haley, Vivek , RDS if remotely serious about winning this are going to have to level with the base and explain how DJT is in serious trouble and how its going to hurt not only his chance of winning in 2024 but kill down them elsewhere.

Advertisement