Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA 2024 presidential election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Lake is an absolute head case, I can't see any moderate voter swinging her way at all. Feel the Dems will look to bury Sinema, and tie her obstruction to the Republican policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,645 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ron DeSantis has done an interview with nbc news and in it he admits that trumps lost and joe Biden in the president and I went and had a look at the replies to the video on Twitter and GOP/MAGA are losing their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

DeSantis always needed a miracle to win this considering how strong the fanatism of MAGA is and his obvious lack of charisma but this is somewhat better from him and that's not saying much.

His initial strategy I suspect was to peel of 10-15% of MAGA and hope the rest of the GOP who are not as devoted would flock to him, but because he has ran so far to the right that has alienated voters who were keen to move on from Trump and he has picked up no MAGA voters either so worst of both worlds.

If I were advising , I would tell him he needs to consolidate the non trump element of the base and not try to outmaga Trump, that strategy will likely end in failure, but it can't be any worse than whatever the hell he was doing last few months.

The hilarious thing about Lake was the governor race was in the bag for her at one stage. She was up against a candidate who even MSNBC were not keen on , and she clearly has a lot of charisma and knows how to work a room which you would expect with her TV background.

Despite all that, the voters were still able to recognise she was absolutely bonkers and said no.

She has gone further down the Trump rabbit hole , so much so that I even think Trump might find her devotion a bit cringe and hopefully it won't work out for her. I think Trump may pick someone like Haley, Scott or Stefnik as VP instead or her and I don't see winning a senate race unless the dems do something stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

That describes it well. Apprently De Santis is now officially a member of that rapidly broadening category, the RINOs. We're really getting a vibe of a cult in the process of devolving where every member who has evinced even the tiniest whiff of disloyalty in action or word is declared infidel or heretic. The disloyal member, the traitor or perceived traitor is always pursued with an animus far more bitter than the declared enemy and as the cult grows ever more fanatical the criteria for disloyalty correspondingly broaden. I'm reminded of IS and Mao's China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

Is RFK junior going to take on Biden?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What do you mean by "take on" ?

He's running for the nomination , but won't come even remotely close to winning the primary in any State.

Biden is leading by 50%+ across the board.

He's an irrelevance to be honest , the majority of his "support" is from Republicans trying to big-up an opponent for Biden.

That's a pity. Biden is a corrupt, incompetent war. He should be in jail not running for another term.

What a terrible choice, Biden or Trump.... It pains me to say it but I'd probably see Trump as the lesser of two evils.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

"I'd probably see Trump as the lesser of two evils."

The guy with multiple indictments and a life-times worth of confirmed criminality is the "lesser of two evils".

Sure.. That makes total sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,453 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You prefer a convicted rapist to be in the WH? Something tells me you're not being honest in your assessment of Biden.

• Advertisement

Had to Google it.

He was not convicted of rape but lets assume he's a rapist. Biden executed 7 children.

It's not an easy choice, intentional versus unintentional but unrepentant child murderer.

I'd lean towards Trump mainly because of Bidens actions in Ukraine versus Trumps promise to end the war.

A despicable pair and a very poor choice for the US electorate.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Trumps "promise to end the war" would only be done by pulling out and allowing Russia to take Ukraine. Which is entirely what he'd do.

Trumps destabilising political actions in office in regards to Russia and Iran have caused far more than ten deaths.

Williamson for all her flaws is a genuine leftist and running for sincere reasons. If you are left leaning and want to vote but find Biden to much I would suggest her in the primary or West (not that one!) for the Green party.

Echo chambers are the pits and contrary to what some say the left are as susceptible to them as the right, but when it comes to MAGA its much worse than that, these people live in a different reality altogether.

Its deeply unhealthy to be as attached to any politician as MAGA is , but when its a guy like Trump its insane.

Think of all those people with jobs, families who were dumb enough to go on the hillbilly coup, many arrested and some even lost their lives. Imagine throwing your life away for Trump who then ignored them!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,453 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Yeah, he's a rapist

Ate you saying no kids were killed under Trump?

As for his promise to end the war in Ukraine, how do you think he can do that?

I wouldn't believe a word he says, he promised to stop drone strikes, under his command drone strikes increased so much that he stopped the reporting of them.

No..

He's a rapist for sure

After losing in court , Trump went back and tried to sue again claiming that because the New York legal definition of Rape is incredibly narrow (must involve a penis penetrating a vagina) and because E Jean Carroll couldn't definitively confirm if he had used his finger or his tiny penis to violate her , that he was not a "rapist".

He LOST that claim and the judge clarified that he is in fact a rapist.

Kaplan roundly rejected Trump’s motion Tuesday, calling that argument “entirely unpersuasive.”

“The finding that Ms. Carroll failed to prove that she was ‘raped’ within the meaning of the New York Penal Law does not mean that she failed to prove that Mr. Trump ‘raped’ her as many people commonly understand the word ‘rape,’ ” Kaplan wrote.

He added: “Indeed, as the evidence at trial recounted below makes clear, the jury found that Mr. Trump in fact did exactly that.”

Mad stuff. There you have it. Murderer or rapist but definitely not RFK fighting for freedom of speech and better quality of life for the 99% of us citizens.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

RFK is certifiably insane. He is fighting for deranged conspiracy theories.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yes; esp. since he's a conspiracy nut claiming vaccine causes autism, wifi causes cancer and leaky brain etc. Clearly a guy who does not care for quality of life for 100% of us citizens instead. Do you want me to Godwin the thread with his quotes about jews etc. in general as well?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Trump said he could end the war in 24 hours: that's patently a ludicrous boast with no grounding in reality. We've had 4 years of exactly those kind of nonsense, boastful declarations that have amounted to nothing at best, and the mishandling of a global pandemic at worst.

Kennedy is a noted, dangerous conspiracy theorist. So you're right about one thing: none of the current candidates are particularly apt for public office, but Biden seems about standard and boilerplate. He's hardly the first US President with blood on his hands - so not sure why he suddenly requires condemnation above the man who's words caused an attempted insurrection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,452 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

RFK's family have come out and publicly disassociated themselves from some of his comments, as they were offensive anti-semitic dog whistling. That's "freedom of speech" to some people.

She said: “My feelings about my brother Bobby’s recent statement regarding Covid and ethnic targeting are very much aligned with my brother Joe, sister Kerry, and nephew Joe III – all of whom I admire for speaking out against him. There is a great deal of hate in the world and remarks like Bobby’s only serve to fuel that hate. Such conspiracy mongering not only creates more divisiveness, it actually puts people’s lives in danger.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

By your definition, Trump would actually be a murderer and a rapist, not to mention the insane number of financial issues that had arisen from his various "charities", etc...

Indeed , remember his family are barred from running Charities in New York State after being found stealing money from a Childrens Cancer Charity..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Bi partisan approval of carpet bombing, well any bombing in the United States. You don't hear much about that.

Nothing sudden about it for me, I really disliked Biden in the last election and was fearful he would be worse than trump but hopeful he wouldn't be worse. My fears were realised, he's worse than Trump IMHO.

If anyone actually cares about what RFK actually stands for listen to him on Lex Friedman.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/79FahX9EZKO61lXPIrBqz8?si=BSYvO1ubRA2wjLFSZDdFNg

He's been relentlessly smeared in the media but is very sincere. The pharmaceutical situation in the US is very bad and he's trying to hold them to account. I'm not into the whole vaccine stuff but if he wants big pharma to demonstrate proof of efficacy maybe they should just do it instead of attacking him.

Still think Biden is worse overall, they've only stopped the killing in Yemen because Saudi stopped. Ukraine is on Biden IMHO, it wouldn't have happened if Trump was elected. There's no profit in it. Biden torpedoed peace negotiations in April 2022, over 300,000 dead now. He an idealogue that doesn't care who dies.

We know what RFK stands for from his years and years of pronouncements. Which show that he is certifiably insane.

I mean that was a bonkers statement. I saw the video, he talks about bioweapons that could be ethnically targeted and cites a paper showing that two ethnic groups were more resilient to covid19. He in no way was being anti Semitic. It's sad, the media has rubbed him out. He at least had integrity.

• Advertisement

We'll have to agree to disagree. I listened to him speak for two hours on lex Friedman and he one of the least insane candidates I've heard in a long time. He really hates faucci and I can understand why, the individual regulators that work on drug products get $150k per annum in perpetuity. It's a huge conflict of interest and surprise, a huge advertiser and lobby group (pharma) hate him.

If you spend ten minutes listening to him in an interview or reading a transcript or his writings you might be surprised.

Advertisement