Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2:UV Achtung Baby Live at the Sphere - Las Vegas - Fall 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭v10

I had to download the Ticketmaster app from the US appstore (on iPhone) to see my tickets .. I now have two Ticketmaster apps on my phone, one with Irish events and one with US events.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭argentum

I have that already done and have tickets for other shows in Vegas that I'll see when I'm there ..just no U2 ticket 20 days out.

When did your U2 ticket arrive in your account and how many days before the gig

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭skinnyfries

We’re seeing them on 20th October and the tickets landed in my account this morning, a week before the gig.

I’m still waiting for your report!!

Heading over next weekend for 4 nights, gig on 20th. Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭furiousox

Sorry... jet lag! 😀

Vegas is Vegas so if you've been before you'll know what to expect.

Temps are still very high, 33/34 by day, 28 at night so change from shorts to jeans but at night but still no need for a jacket.

If you want a drink with a view go to the Skybar in the Waldorf Astoria around 6pm, great view of the strip as the sun goes down.

We also had a lovely breakfast in the Bellagio, just coffee and a pastry sitting on a balcony in the sun near the pool area.

We did a quick trip to the Hoover Dam one morning (collected @ 7.45am and back on the strip by 12.00) with "mr las vegas tours" which I'd recommend too.

Now to the gig,

There is a small U2 exhibition in the Venetian (closed on mondays) there's not much to see really, but it's a good opportunity to buy some merch as the stands in the sphere are v busy.

The best way to get to the venue on gig day is from the Venetian hotel, there is a walkway linking the hotel to the sphere.

There are some signs, but ask a staff member if you're stuck or just follow the U2 t-shirts!

We got to the sphere entrance about 5.50pm, they were supposed to open at 6pm but it was 6.30pm when they opened and the line behind us was huge by then.

Bottles of water are for sale while you queue in the walkway, I'd recommend grabbing a couple and you can bring them in with you.

(No bags allowed into the venue btw)

The lobby area is breathtaking when you walk in, ultra modern and huge.

The queues for merch got busy v quickly, we were in block 406 so we carried on up to our level.

The merch is on sale on each level so the queue on the upper level wasn't as bad.

(T-shirts are $50)

We weren't hungry and we had our water so we headed to our seat in 406.

When you walk into the sphere itself the sheer scale of the thing is difficult to take in, it is VAST!

Hold onto something solid and look up and around you and take it all in, it's breathtaking.

The climb to our seats was quite steep but once you get seated you adjust to the angle quick enough.

It was funny watching everybody holding onto the railings with both hands as they "climbed" to their seats, there were a few anxious people that needed a bit of reassurance to get to the top too.

When you look up you might see a bird flying around the dome, it's not real of course, just part of the projection.

I'd advise to be in your seats by 7.00/7.15pm as the queues to enter start to get busy.

A DJ appeared in a lit up Trabant car around 7.30pm and played some good 80s/90s tunes for about an hour.

Then, showtime!

Two helicopters appear projected overhead, the band appear, they start "zoo station", the dome behind appears to crack and light floods in....it's absolutely incredible!

From there it just get's better and better, the American audience seem to absolutely love U2 and are wild.

The video graphics for "the fly" and "even better than the real thing" are just mind blowing but there are many more highlights too.

I won't spoil it for you, all the songs are on youtube if you want to have a look (but don't!😃)

I saw the original Zoo Tv show back in the 90s and saw Roger Waters doing The Wall in the Aviva but this is a whole different experience, very hard to describe the sheer scale of the thing.

The sound is very good, crystal clear although I didn't notice the "360 degree headphone effect" that was mentioned.

U2 aren't my favourite band but I love the Achtung Baby/Zooropa era and having said that, they put on a hell of a show and Bono's voice sounded very good on the night.

At show's end we stayed in our seats for about 15 mins to let the crowd thin out.

(The queues for merch were massive after the gig so make sure to get yours beforehand)

We made our way outside the venue rather than through the Venetian as we wanted to get some photos of the sphere outside.

It was still busy and crowded but we were back on the strip for a beer and a pizza slice fairly quickly.

So that's it (kind of)

It's hard to describe in words the sheer size of the place and what the gig experience is like because something like this is unique and has never been done before.

Safe to say you will have an unforgettable night, enjoy every minute!

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

U2

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 37,898 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Saw on Facebook that the steps in the higher section are a journey on there own

Oh wow, fantastic, thanks so much for that. You’ve really put me in the mood now! Out of interest, can you get a beer in the Sphere?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Usually the lead and bass switch between Adam and the Edge is for 40?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭fafy

• Advertisement

I got my tickets in the first presale (u2.com) for next weekend (Fri 20th Oct) and I don't know when they appeared but it's months ago now.

Great review, I'll be arriving in Vegas on Wednesday for show on Friday in GA and Saturday in Section 407 ... can't wait !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

This gig looks absolutely awesome. Up to now the best stage effects I ever seen at a gig was sigur Ros in London Hammersmith closing song ()8 on their takk tour in 2006. But this sphere looks better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭webpal

Is that for a pint? Can you bring into GA do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭fafy

$18 per pint apparently, but of course the U.S. pint, is smaller, no idea on GA and alcohol, but i don’t see why not

For those who are lucky enough to have travelled already, what’s the story with the dreaded overhang and obstructed view?

We’re section 105 row 23. Thanks a mill

I'm not 100% but I think you may not get a full view of the visuals from that seat.

"U2 at the sphere" is a good fan page on Facebook with lots of info on seating etc.

If you're concerned about restricted view you can contact ticketmaster now or guest services in the venue on the night.

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Anyone buy a vibee package for the venetian???

Does anyone know when will u2 tickets be in my sphere account manager???

It's convoluted it seems! Grrrr. Am supposed to be going around beginning November. Please can people post their ticket experiences

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭webpal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Some good recordings of a few songs from the show here.

Not particularly enamoured with any of them, they are all too slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Very nice clip of The Fly here inc drone footage, this is much more like it audio wise.

Nice flyover of Beautiful Day

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Aladdin Sane

I attended the shows dated 5th and 7th October and both were mind blowing. The sound comes at you from all directions and the band sounded great. At times it felt like an outdoor show, particularly during the desert scene for “Where the streets have no name” and the Las Vegas backdrop during “Atomic City”. The setlist changed by 3 songs over the two shows I attended.

To all those going in the coming weeks, you will have a blast.

Adam

Great photos, really sum up the sphere experience!

CPL 593H

@skinnyfries

There's a conversation going on about this very subject right now on the 'U2 at the sphere' facebook page.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The stage itself looks very small. Will a band with large entourage, eg the killers, Guns n’Roses or Sigur Ros be able to do a gig here??

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭argentum

My show is on November 1st and my email arrived last night from Vibee with all the info listed and my tickets arrived into my account

so two weeks out from the show

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭citycentre

This is U2's own stage designed specifically for their gigs. The venue has the facility for a section of the screen to be moved back so the stage can be set into sort of an "alcove". These are old visuals but give an idea.

Good view of the stage "alcove" under construction here:

Great from a flexibility perspective but to me this would take away from the stunning seamless visual effect of the spherical screen. I'm glad U2 decided to push their stage forward of it to show the screen off to the full...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Thanks Argentum. Dying to get them - not exactly sure at this point what seat numbers etc we have. Very exciting isn't it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, no issue with that. You can also order pints off staff when standing in GA and they will bring them to you (as long as you're not too far forward).

The whole show is so immersive that it's just unbelievable. I was swiveling around like an 8-ball, you're just always trying to take it all in. The audio is special too, it's not over-bearing, you can still almost have a shouty conversation. 😂

I must have worse vertigo that I realised as I nearly fell over during Even Better Than The Real Thing as I was on the GA floor and it felt like the whole stage was falling down. 😆

Epic. Enjoy.

Advertisement