Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2:UV Achtung Baby Live at the Sphere - Las Vegas - Fall 2023

Options
  • 13-02-2023 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭

'U2:UV Achtung Baby Live At The Sphere' - a special run of shows marking the band's first live outing in four years - will see the world's biggest rock band launch the world's most exciting all-new state-of-the-art venue, MSG Sphere in Las Vegas this Fall.

U2 have always – since their earliest days, including the industry-defining ZOO TV Tour which broke the mold in 1991 - pushed the boundaries of live performance, with ground-breaking stage shows that embrace the latest in technology and innovation. The news that the band will launch the Sphere, the state-of-the art venue currently dominating the Las Vegas skyline, is fitting for a show from the world's most thrilling live band. 

The announcement comes with confirmation that Larry will take time out to undergo and recuperate from surgery in 2023. These Las Vegas shows will see Larry and the band welcome drummer Bram van den Berg who will be sitting in to join Bono, The Edge and Adam onstage at the Sphere.

Bono, The Edge and Adam said, "It's going to take all we've got to approach the Sphere without our bandmate in the drum seat, but Larry has joined us in welcoming Bram van den Berg who is a force in his own right."

More information here and HERE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peMw65Pljoc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

This is going to be expensive. Might still go though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fafy

Venue is quite something, there is no doubt about that. MSG are in for planning, for an identical venue in London, by Olympic Park near Stratford.

But i’l keep my cash, i’d say prices for this will breach anything thats gone before.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/business/tourism/msg-sphere-work-moves-indoors-for-screen-sound-system-2471693/

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

I wonder will tickets be cheaper as a quarter of the band will not be playing..... Fat chance! 😂

Any word on ticket prices yet? This is likely when I'll bow out of the running....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Looks like the drummer replacing Larry, Bram van den Berg, is Dutch. Probably got a preferential tax status for using him 🤓

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JKerova1

This is supposed to be a celebration of Achtung Baby. Larry was an integral part of the Achtung Baby / ZOO TV sound. Songs like Zoo Station, The Fly and Acrobat all hinged on Larrys drums. Celebrating Achtung without Larry is ridiculous. Doing a residency in Vegas is the sort of thing Celine Dion and Britney Spears do. I never thought I would see U2 do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Gotta remember these guys are in their 60’s, it’s possible that touring around the world no longer holds the attraction it used to. The Sphere looks amazing and they are probably getting an outrageous amount of money to be the act to open it, so it all makes sense. The biggest acts in the world have done residencies since the days of old blue eyes and the king.

My understanding, is they signed up to this a few years back, and they are now locked in, and contractually bound to deliver. Its been suggested by some, that they would knowingly and deliberately, exclude the founding member. I’m definitely not buying that.

Larrys recovery period,(from sugery) is unknown, and clearly, will be well into next year.

some good, well researched, background in this article:

https://medium.com/@u2isable_12816/achtung-babies-if-they-build-it-will-you-go-efbbd411307

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Would love to go though when I went to see them last Bono never stopped talking between songs. He completely ruined the flow of the concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Doing these Vegas residency thing is not some sell-out. The biggest stars in the world do it. Elvis Presely did hundreds of shows in Vegas. Guns n Roses, Aerosmith, Celine Dion, Elton John. What would make U2 unique that they shouldn't go for it? It's a fantastic opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,780 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Out of my price range a lot but they are pretty cool

Nothing most drummers can't play. Though I should say while Queen were never same without Freddie I also noticed a huge difference without Deacon on Bass. Completely different feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JKerova1

That's not quite the point. I'm sure most drummers could play The Fly or Zoo Station. Like Edge's guitar parts aren't that difficult to play but you couldn't imagine another guitar player filling in for him. The Stone Roses replaced Reni for a while but while the other guy did a good job it still wasn't the same.

A lot of classic rock bands still going full of replacement members with most/all cashing in off past reputations.

Some times it's works (few examples Iron Maiden with Bruce, AC/DC with Brian) sometimes it doesn't (Guns N Roses in 2000s was just not the same, Spandau Ballet have a new singer)

No disrespect too Larry and Adam but U2 without one of Bono or Edge would just be plain wrong. Adam was replaced for a few shows wasn't he ??

This upcoming show will be very interesting and doubt phones will be allowed in meaning there might be an 'official recording' of the tour. Saying that there's no sign of the Joshua Tree revisited recording

Wishing Larry the best in his recovery and hoping too see him back in 2024. Best wishes to Bram behind the kit, what a **** gig too get tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Completely agree about feel. Recently Opeth parted ways with drummer Martin Axenrot and had to get Sami Karppinen as a stand in for the US tour. Watched footage of the tour and to my ears, it just wasn't the same. Competent but different.

They've since got a new permanent drummer, Waltteri Väyrynen, who is much closer to the original feel. Did a great job on the recent tour and I'm looking forward to see what he brings to future new studio material.

And that's not even mentioning the fact that some Opeth fans never got over Martin Lopez leaving back in 2006 ! (in fairness he's a superb drummer with a lovely jazzy feel)

Opeth have the interesting distinction of being a band where every original member has been replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Megadeth never the same without Nick Menza.

Slayer never the same without Dave Lombardo...

Metallica would be infinitely better without Lars Ulrich ....

Riders on the Storm/ 21st Century Doors never the same without John Densmore

A replacement drummer rarely gets that same 'feel' as the original drummer.....

Would love to see U2 , but i think prices will be waaaaaaaay too much ...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Coincidentally, I did think of my favourite band when reading this thread, I didn’t think Metallica would be the same after Jason Newsted departed, definitely disagree with you about Ulrich.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Muse did a fantastic cover of Streets at Glastonbury when they headlined a good few years back with the Edge guest appearing.

The enjoyment and energy in the performance was fantastic to watch. I think it was a mix of having the edge on stage with them as well as the fun involved covering a brilliant tune. The camera panning to the different members of Muse throughout the song with big grins on their faces, which you rarely see them do on their own songs.

I honestly enjoyed that performance of streets more than the majority of times I've seen U2 play it. I know when you're playing these songs night after night the enthusiasm isn't always gonna be there. But Larry seems so strained trying to ensure he's keeping up with a click track most times that he barely cracks a smile.

Anyways my point is you can slip in another amazing drummer or bassist for a u2 show and it wouldn't make a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Following on from the above comment, Muse drummer played with a feel or a groove that you rarely see Larry play with.

My own personal opinion but judge for yourself

https://youtu.be/SbH-uJ31uPY

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭weadick

I haven't liked the way Larry played Street's since the lovetown tour.

A click track is to be anticipated, not kept up with. Your point I guess

I can imagine replacements for Larry & Adam.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Kilteragh

And let's face it, for the Edge as well. He's not exactly Hendrix, Clapton or Slash.

Love him or hate him but Bono is a amazing front man. Without him U2 are just another band.

U2 have always been more than the sum of their parts. There are four individual personalities that make up the band, each important in their own way. U2 without Larry, Adam, Edge or Bono is not U2.

I heard Sam O’Sullian, U2’s studio manager and Larry’s drum tech, has departed the band, just a retirement. He has been with the band since the mid ‘80’s,

He’s now working in the community/schools, in West Cork:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4R3oPHal0sqQ4xKXAvmhrL?si=Kl-pSLq7R329fkwdG18ttw

Sad to see one of their old crew going but wishing him all the best on his retirement.

• Advertisement

Advertisement