Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2:UV Achtung Baby Live at the Sphere - Las Vegas - Fall 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭flasher0030

It's grand in the main, and I would love to hear all of Achtung Baby in a live setting. But could really do without Beautiful Day, Elevation, Vertigo and Desire. They have so many better tunes than those - and which could still liven up the place - New Years Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bad, Pride, Walk On, Gloria, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I see they have gone back to butchering Ultraviolet.

The U2360 version of that was great but everything since has been a travesty, what are they thinking.

Where the Streets have no Name seems to have a few verses changed too.

ZooStation was excellent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

You wouldn't want to suffer from motion sickness anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

The Sphere show is incredible. I was a bit of a sceptic but I was blown away. Achtung is by far my favourite album so I loved it but I could see how some more casual fans would be less enthralled. It did remind me a lot of the Joshua Tree tour in both good and bad ways. I was up at the back of the stand so couldn't see the band at all when they weren't on the big screen. Highlight for me was Love Rescue Me with the Edge on bass.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Aladdin Sane

I’m travelling to Vegas on Tuesday for 2 gigs this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Massive U2 and Bono fan..but I'll be honest , I know age is part of it..but his vocals are not doing it for me...age, reality of life...but his vocals were a massive part for me...his screams etc...

What's the future of the venue after this residency ?

Will it hold traditional concerts or will the costs be too much and the only way a gig would work is if the artists splashed out on the visual aspect ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭Fanirish

It’s going to be max 3 or 4 residencies a year.

no traditional concerts. Takes 4-6 months minimum for visuals to be modified for the space.

visuals are the selling point of the venue so it only works in tandem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Bring plenty of money. It's more expensive now than it ever was.

Apparently Harry Styles is in talks about a Spring residency.

• Advertisement

Re “Bring plenty of money. It's more expensive now than it ever was”.

I was there for a week last year. It can be as expensive or cheap as you allow it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

I think I'm in the minority because I thought it was awful :D

While the visuals are very impressive, the band and stage are incredibly underwhelming when they should be the centre piece. If I go and see a band, it's the band I want to see, not some fancy screen.

Regarding the band, I seen a few clips over the weekend. I'm not a lover or hater of U2. Bono seems to be singing the Joshua Tree songs slightly different to the original (and the crowd). I didn't like it, is this a new thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Bono's voice is shot. Old age I guess.

The band are always gonna be secondary in a venue like that. As a spectacle it must be amazing but as mentioned it definitely takes away from the band performance. The band themselves seem static on stage. Probably because they know people in general are focusing on the screens so there's less pressure on "performing".

Give me a sweaty gig in whelans any day over that "Instagram day out".

Also I saw some tweet from todayfm where they sent a young one over to the gig .... asking the crowd members to finish off the lyrics to u2 songs. Dreadful crap and a real 2fm vibe off it. Really got on my nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Any tips for a fairly cheap hotel in Vegas not too far from the centre of things, flights booked, ticket organised

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Bobby_Bolivia

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Planet Hollywood, Flamingo, Linq or Horseshoe all decent budget options with a great location.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

His voice was excellent at the book show in the Olympia last November, I was very impressed by it.

However he only sang snippets of songs, probably only sang 25 minutes in total, out of the 1 hr 45 show.

Big difference between that and singing for 2 hours.

While the visuals are very impressive, the band and stage are incredibly underwhelming when they should be the centre piece. If I go and see a band, it's the band I want to see, not some fancy screen.

It was the same for the Joshua Tree Anniversary tour, a huge screen wasted showing some artistic bollix by Anton Corbijn.

It should be showing the band members first then have some scenery/artistic stuff on the rest of the screen.

The band looked like flys in front of a tv screen.

I really enjoyed the shows in the 3arena, the screen was used very well there and the B stage was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

It's a great show and I really enjoyed it but I can't help but agree with some of the comments. Even Where The Streets Have No Name felt a bit flat. The band and stage were very static. The fact that it's just a small stage with no runway into the crowd or anything hinders Bono a bit. Also probably just age wise he is not able to get around like he used to. I thought the crowd were full of day trippers with no knowledge or interest in lesser known tracks like Acrobat or Ultra Violet. But even the Croke Park shows can feel a bit like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

Was at the Saturday night gig. It was spectacular from start to finish.

Bono's voice was great to my ear.

The venue is about visuals as well as the band. It worked great together I must say.

The crowd were a bit static around us but we stood up and everyone around us followed and seemed to really get into it. Chatted to most of them.

Prob one of best gigs I was at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭v10

Good to hear, heading myself for October 20th show. Most of the negative reviews/opinions seem to be coming from people who weren't there and just saw clips online which obviously won't translate for a show like this. From what I can see most people that went only have positive things to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

Yeh, exactly!

If ur in the stands I'd def recommend getting up and havin a boogie. We were in 300s. I said to folks behind me to let me know and I'll sit down. They seemed to appreciate it. They were all on their feet and really gettin into it which added to the experience.

You're in for a treat. It was an absolute cracker!

The whole Vegas thing added to the experience. The place is nuts !

Any questions feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

I think it's natural to think of VR when looking at the incredible visuals from the footage on Youtube. Like VR, looking at a video vs actually using it (or being there in this case) is in no way comparable. The other thing is there's been lots of comments from folks who attended saying the audio was incredible.

Anyway, good luck to anyone fortunate enough to be heading over, I'd really love to be going myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭moby2101

There seems to be a bit of speculation that U2 will be heading back to Sphere in March or April for a shorter residency with Larry on the drums .

Edge mentioned it in an interview with one of the American radio stations.

HOPE so, currently tapped out going to Paris for a couple of weeks.

Im cancelling Christmas in our house, alm monies will be going towards a Vegas fund !!

Definitely very possible and demand will be there

How is the substitute drummer doing ?

What a gig too get, surprised they didn't go for a 'A list' substitute

Aerosmith also touring with a new guy but a lot of bad luck with that tour so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭MOR316

He's fine. Plays the songs as they are. Nothing bad to say.

The only thing I'll say is you 100% know it has a different feel. Larry is brilliant and unique at what he does. All 4 are unique and that's what makes the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭JKerova1

For anyone going over the U2 cinema in the Venetian is pretty good. The Zoo Station museum is fairly crap but we saw Red Rocks in the cinema and enjoyed it, great sound quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭furiousox

In situ, waiting for the band.

Gig report to follow 😃

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

Heading over for the 27th and have two spare GA tickets for that night either for trade for two for the 28th or getting to the stage of being for sale,obviously you'd be coming in with me on the 27th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭argentum

For anyone using Vibee how did that work out

I'm going over for early November and no ticket in my Ticketmaster account yet

I have a booking ref and full payment has been made for Hotel and gig but they said about 5 weeks before the gig Id get the ticket

Advertisement