Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2023 Irish EV Sales

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭sk8board

It’s held up well, but you’d think they’d have increased marketshare over those 3 plates, considering the supply issues are largely gone, esp by 232.

easy to say it, but I think considering the price drops and stock pile, the EV marketshare of 241 will be a key thing to watch. If it’s flat around 18-20% again, it’s not a good sign. I think myself if theres deals to be had, people will buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Casati

Pity that chart doesn't show totals but it looks like absolute numbers diesel sales are flat (i.e. some of classified as hybrid diesel'), petrol sales up a little but most of the increase in car sales are down to extra EV/ PHEV's. I am surprised by that, I had expected diesel sales to fall in absolute numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭josip

It's definitely plateauing. Some manufacturers had supply issues in 2023, eg. Hyundai and Nissan, so there may be a bit of pent up demand from brand loyalists there. But that would be small. Affordability is the limiting factor at the moment for new cars. There are still not enough sub 40k options, especially from legacy manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,544 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Availability and market conditions may also be a concern. Some OEMs do not have EVs available as they have quotas to sell to meet emissions targets and thus only give dealers enough to sell to meet the target. I've heard a few anecdotal cases of people looking for EVs but leave with fossil cars and vow to change "next time".

A lot of EVs are still more expensive than the petrol/diesel concerns and in a time of inflation remaining high and a downturn expected, people are less likely to finance a more expensive upfront EV vs a cheaper upfront but more expensive ongoing ICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭innrain

Tracking the figures for a while now. Only new regs no imports.

% normalized to each year totals

If you prefer the absolute figures

• Advertisement
Advertisement