Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2023 Irish EV Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭creedp

Presumably 1st deliveries won't arrive until after New Year? No price reductions here as yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Indeed, for early 2024 delivery. €42,990 the same price as the old model here I think?

That's roughly the price of a very basic spec Kona (tiny crossover) with less range 5 years ago. Inflation? What inflation!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,682 ✭✭✭✭josip

You'll have to add another €1,200 for those who refuse to buy a "Paddy-spec" white car 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭eagerv

Hey, wash your mouth out.😁.

Actually it's an extra €2,097 for Blue or Black. And €3,226 for Red or Grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭sk8board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭DrPsychia

I had the pleasure of sitting in a highland in Munich. I think it's stunning in white. Far better looking than its predecessor. Very sleek with the new headlight design and tail lights. One thing I dislike about the M3 in general is that I find it a bit awkward to get out of, not due to mobility or range of motion reasons but I always manage to bump my knees off the underside of the steering column/steering wheel even with easy entry. Never had such a problem with other similarly sized saloons. I wish the steering column had more vertical adjustability.

I really dislike white cars but I would not pay at least €2k more for a colour. Yes, white please 😂

Why is the VRT higher when you order the optional extra €1300 blue or black? Does it go over a certain threshold? First one below is white, second one is blue, note the price is only €1300 higher but the VRT is much higher on the blue:

Personally I would bite my tongue and pay the €1300 extra. But not the €2097

• Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭eagerv

There are various types of white🙂, Tesla use a nice sparkling one. Looks well on a typical dull day. It is their only bright colour. Pity they discontinued the silver, I thought it looked great with the white seats. I dislike the flat creamy whites often seen on Irish cars..

I know the colour well, most Irish Model 3 and Y are white because it's the cheapest option. It's not as bad as the traditional white van white, but in my book not an awful lot better either 😁

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Unsurprising to see the Model Y has an almost 50/50 split between black and white. I guess people want the car and care less about it's colour.

€2k for a colour is madness lads.

even the likes of bmw ‘only’ charge €850 for their i4 colours

the best new Tesla you can own is the cheapest model 3 that money can buy, end of story :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I really like the way BMW offer their individual paint colour, having the option of over 120 colours to choose from is great. I imagine you pay quite a lot for the choice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,561 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You can pay BMW 5k or more for a color (the frozen tanzanite blue I wanted was 4.5k and that wasnt in the top tier).

I actually like the newer white that tesla have, when they changed to multicoat white and dechromed it actually suits the car well.

The 3 is so cheap compared to other new options it's madness. My dad recently spent nearly 40k on the top spec MG5 estate, ordered when the 3 was 54k and the Y over 60. He didnt want an suv or saloon but I think if he were ordering now he'd have a Y RWD. They are just so cheap for what they are.

I mean, it's competitive on price with the Ora Funky Cat 400pro, that's insane.

It's €1300 (indeed way too much already), the rest is extra VRT

Here's what happened to my brother in law when he went to buy a new Audi Q4 in January of last year, you will like this 😁

Audi: "so you want it in grey Sir, yes?"

BIL: "no grey is awful, I want it in blue"

Audi: "Sir, you really want it in grey, trust me"

BIL: "No thanks, I don't like that colour"

Audi: "Any other colour is €5700 more because it doesn't qualify for the VRT grant"

BIL: "yes grey please, it's lovely"

That's the same reason my 3 doesnt have the nicer wheels and doesnt have a towbar. Either (or both) would have added 5k to the price as the car didnt qualify for the grant anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

Is it possible to add a tow bar safely after purchase?

Not on the 3, no. They have to be spec'd with it from factory. On a Y yes it is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭innrain

Numbers for October are up. Agreeing that there are small number I still note the EVs are in first place in the fuel mix for the second consecutive month. YTD EVs are very close to the HEV numbers and will probably overtake them by the end of the year.

On the EV market the first 3 manufacturers account for over 42% market share, with Toyota catching the top10, with 648 cars sold this year with only 3 in 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Overall for YTD, Nissan doesn't even make top 10. Leaf sales have cratered by 50% compared to 2022. Its no wonder they have dropped the price by €5k and offering 0% finance.

Considering they were the pioneer's its a sad state of affairs for them. They could have been ahead of everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Yeah if they had upgraded it a few years ago with the likes of CCS and better battery management. The Ariya looks good but was told by my local dealer that they had no availability and it's too expensive vs the competition

New EV registrations down 20% year on year for the 3 month period Sept 1 - Nov 30.

EVs are still +44% for the whole year, but a noticeable change (on lower volumes), in recent months.

non EV’s (incl Hybrid) are -10% in the same period.

Theres a noticeable cooling in the market overall

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭creedp

Was talking to Nissan dealer recently and he said they were allocated only 2 Ariyas since launch and one is a demo. Seems a strange approach especially when the Leaf is essentially dying a slow painful death

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

95 Arias sold until they pulled the production allocation away from Ireland in September 2022.

If pricing doesn't fall in line on its return (if it ever comes back) it will be very expensive vs an ID4 and will struggle to shift any.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SeanaciousD

That'll be down to A) The price of new cars and B) A lot of people would have bought a new car/EV when the automakers were desperate to sell them in the middle of COVID at the end of 2020/2021, prices were reasonable and almost all finance was essentially free.

Now 3 years layer however they're in a situation where the value of their car has cratered, finance is not free, and the price of the same class of new car has shot up massively. So people are just opting to pay off the car they have and keep it. I know of a few people in that exact position.

Looks like VW are reacting to the problem right now, will be interesting to watch if the others do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,682 ✭✭✭✭josip

Have prices cratered for those who bought 3 years ago? Anyone who bought more than 2 years ago would have bought at a lower price than peak and are only experiencing normal car depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SeanaciousD

Well if you have a Tesla or VW ID, the answer seems to be yes. Teslas price cuts have hurt the trade in value, that is already known. And I'm seeing comments in other threads that now since VW have slashed up to €10k of their new EV's, dealers are refusing to give trade-in values for current owners until the price settles down.

Ultimately for most people the end result from both pricing and finance rates is your monthly repayment has probably gone up quite significantly, at a time when inflation has risen faster than most peoples income. The natural end result is people walk away, keep the car they have, and sales plummet.

I think all that matters is comparing the market share over the plate period, it was crazy to create articles about how in June '23 47.92% of cars sold were Electric, just as picking months now to do the same reflects shipping trends instead of sales. It will be interesting to see what the percentage is for full year versus each 6 month period.

Jan-Jun this year was 18.45%, we're still currently showing roughly the same share for July-November. The overall market is down, but we're still very noticeably on a 6 month cycle.

(beepbeep - July-November)

Yeh we’re doing exactly this at the moment - paying off a smallish balloon on a perfectly good 3yo petrol family car that we bought at a great price at the time, on 0%.

thankfully it’s nothing to do with affordability, and all to do with simply sitting it out until the EV market settles.

• Advertisement

Final numbers for the year, EVs were at 18.43% share for 231 plates and 19.19% for 232. 222 platers were 18%. That's 3 periods in a row where EV sales have maintained a similar sales percentage.

Advertisement