Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2023 Irish EV Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭innrain

Found/remembered the stats page.

https://stats.beepbeep.ie/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

1 in 6 cars with 232 plates are BEVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Any examples?

are we talking BMW iX and Mercedes eqe/s?

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Slightly higher for 231 plates 18.45% vs 16.80%, but EV sales tend to go further into the sales period due to delivery periods (and Tesla not aligning deliveries with the Irish plates)

You can see this in 231 where EVs were at 14.55% for Jan-Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

ID.4 is now number 5 nationwide, just in case the fact that I can't drive anywhere without seeing 6 of them wasn't evidence enough

Kona is in the number 10 spot, is that only available as an EV now or is there still a hybrid version?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Charging at any motorway lay-by just got even more exciting in '23.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,912 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ID4 has been a massive success for VW in Ireland

• Advertisement

Things are getting better, far more planning applications for charging hubs than ever

They just need to get better a lot faster

I'd say the biggest obstacle at this point is people who are reliant on public charging.

There's a few doing it and hats off to them, but there needs to be a big improvement in urban areas so people without home charging can be confident they can grab a charge during their weekly shop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭sk8board

Around here in Dublin commuterVille it’s bizarre how many families have the id4. There’s lots of Hyundais, kona’s, Tesla’s, id3 and the rest, but the ID4 is head and shoulders above in terms of customer choices it seems. Of the folks I know, they were mostly changing from another VW, which seems to be crucial for peoples confidence to make their first BEV purchase.

Oddly enough the model 3 did well for tesla in July, and sales number are up year on year, but it’s actually having its worst year in the Irish market share - it’s the 40th most popular car in the 2023 sales chart by model.

I'm also in suburban paradise here and the number of ID.4s around the place is mind boggling

I'm not exaggerating when I say I usually see 5 or 6 when driving around my small corner of Swords

I'm not even counting my own one 😉

Spotted my first new generation Prius today, it's a fine looking Ioniq clone 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I regularly see one ID4 driver who appears to have changed to his second ID4 recently.

I was checking on VWFS today to see how many organs I'd have to sell when my PCP contract is up

It said I'm close enough to the end to order a new car

They even have a nice term for it, you're "renewing you contract" with a new car, and a new pile of debt to boot 🙄

There's a lot of folks getting to the end now and probably trading in. VW don't really have any equivalents so if you have an ID.4 and need the space your only options are another ID.4

Well, there's the ID.5 and the ID.Buzz, but there's no way I'd get enough money from my clapped out liver and kidneys to afford one of those

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

Will you get anything with a decent spec though? I think we might have to hold on to the Id.3 unless something else comes along in the next year.

No, if I was to trade in for the same price I'd have to accept a fairly large downgrade in spec, which seems pointless

I think I'll be paying off the loan ASAP and keeping the car for another 3-4 years

I'll have to bite the bullet on depreciation, but in every other respect the car is extremely cheap to run, and the cost to change isn't worthwhile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Great to see EV sales increasing but ice sales are also rising which is very disappointing. Think an increase in VRT is needed to soften demand of gas guzzlers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭PaulRyan97

The problem there is there really isn't that many "gas guzzlers" sold. Unless you count a Corolla or Yaris Cross hybrid as a gas guzzler.

The Tucson is the most popular vehicle and while 60% of it's sales are diesel it's only because the diesel is by far the cheapest option. Not exactly a big fuel hungry engine.

Increased VRT is just going to put more pressure on people, they need to increase incentives for EVs for at least until the middle of the decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

There's practically nobody that needs to buy a brand new ice car these days. There are thousands of second hand cars available if you don't want to buy a new EV.

A little different for people who need 7 seaters, vans, trucks and the odd professional driver.

Nobody needs a brand new Yaris cross, and compared to a Yaris it is more of a gas guzzler.

Extending BEV incentives is good but the sales of ice are rising and will be pumping out CO2 etc for the next 20years, much better to reduce the numbers at source than have to scrap them all when they're banned from urban areas etc before end of life.

the current policy is to reduce the incentives on EV’s (as a means to force price competition maybe), rather than increasing taxes on ICE. That’s not changing any time soon.

the unknown around residuals is a big point. depreciation was originally negligible when volumes were low, but now that volumes of 2nd hand EVs hitting that magic 3 years old , depreciation is very heavy.

if you’re a low mileage driver (in my case my fuel savings versus 100% home charging would be €800 Pa), the EV version of a car is still far too expensive.

Also, and probably a bigger point, not everyone who is buying a new car cares about cars in general, nor EVs. they buy a Yaris Cross hybrid and get on with their life.

edit: there’s still a huge unknown around out-of-warranty EVs

edit: only a small fraction of people can afford a new car. Most people want the cheapest car they can buy with a warranty - Dacia’s success here is a great example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

0% interest on the ID4, personally find them extremely dull to look at, the ID3 is much nicer though I’d still choose the Cupra Born or MG4 ahead of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Cupra is massively overpriced and over rated brand. The proof is probably in the group decision to end the SEAT brand. Cupra was introduced basically as a premium SEAT, but now its just a replacement, but at premium prices compared. imho.

I drive a SEAT.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

whats the story with the ID4 in Ireland ? Are there stocks being kept on hand by the distributor thats driving sales ?

I heard from a few sources in Germany that Ev sales to private buyers there are practically non existant, only company/ leasing customers are interested, and the ID4 plant is winding down due to lack of demand, so throwing a few 1000 Evs to Ireland with standard specs (and finance through VW bank) would be easy to arrange

What's the story as in why is it a success, or how quickly can I buy one?

For why it's a success, I guess VW have a lot of brand recognition here and the ID.4 is well suited to Irish drivers (what with us being on a comparatively small island)

For Germany, I guess to be 100% clear the ID.4 plant isn't winding down

For starters, there's two plants in Germany, Zwickau and Emden. Zwickau is still at capacity and Emden capacity got reduced from 3 to 2 shifts. There wasn't actually ever 3 shifts, the plans to move to 24 hour production got delayed

The reason is there's more supply than demand at the moment. Partly this is because the US plant started production recently, resulting in a lot more productive capacity

Partly it's because state incentives for EVs in Germany for commercial customers wound down, resulting in a drop in demand

Partly it's because Germany is now in a recession with customers being more unwilling to make expensive purchases

And finally it's probably largely because the Tesla Model Y is the best selling car in Europe at the moment. Tesla's advantages are far more pronounced in Europe IMO with things like the Supercharging network and Autopilot being more valuable for very long road trips

Does that mean there's price cuts incoming? According to VW bosses, no

But we've seen lots of 0% finance offers, scrappage deals and sales events happening recently, which are effectively just price cuts by a different name

So how quickly can you buy one? Well if you're willing to ring around some dealerships, are somewhat agnostic about the colour and spec, and have your deposit ready to go, you could probably be driving one in a day to two

Great answer.

to add to it - anyone coming out of a 3year VW pcp on zero % are seeing offers elsewhere of anything from 6-11% interest on finance, while they (me included) have been on zero for many many years now.

our decision here in the next 12 months is to move to an ID4 or just buy out the balloon and keep the current car longer.

even though there’s lots of choice, the ID4 is by far and away to easiest and most attractive option once you’re already in the VW tent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭innrain

the beepbeep data is up. EVs are 1st place on the fuel breakdown. YoY nearly 50% more than last year, close to overtake HEVs.

ModelY is on 1st place on the all cars sales for September, with 6 units more thank Kia Sportage. Overall, this year, ModelY is 12th very close to RAV4 and above Tiguan.

• Advertisement

EV sales down 19% YoY in Sept, which is a surprise considering tesla delivered cars. while overall sales down 10% in Sept.

ID4 sales staying up remarkably well for a 3rd year.

m3 sales level YoY despite big price cuts, but are declining since the start of the year deliveries of price-cut cars. Let’s see if the appetite returns in 2024 for the updated M3. Clearly some prospective m3 sales moved to the MY or other EVs.

top EV sales this year:

Advertisement