Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbie (2023)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The hype over this remains baffling to me. I'm still totally confusticated about this; though some of the gags did make me laugh.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I genuinely have no idea why I'm so excited for it. I have no affiliation with Barbie, and I had polar opposite reactions to Gerwig's previous 2 films (hated Ladybird, loved Little Women) so it's not even like I'm just excited for new Gerwig. I think, for me anyway, what it boils down to is that it just looks like it could be a fun time in the cinema. I assume it's the feeling people who like Marvel films get every 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm getting Tim Burton vibes as in Willy Wonka, Alice in Wonderland, Edward Scissorhands mixed with Truman Show but damn I'm excited for it

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

Ryan Gosling seems to be being Ryan Gosling in this rather then Ken, he seems to be laughing at the film in the film.

Post edited by pjcb on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

Yeah I kinda felt he was off compared to Margot Robbie's sincerity

• Advertisement

I didn't think that about Gosling, he just seems like he's being Ken, tbh. He's a little bit arrogant, very sure of his role in life, at least as far as life in Barbie land goes. I'd assume they're just playing up the comedy aspect for the trailer and not giving too much away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

From that new trailer, it doesn't look like it'll be taking itself too seriously outside the Barbie world.

I did have a laugh at the dudes doing the jump across aisles while they were trying to catch her 🙂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A headline that basically speaks for itself. In case anyone was wondering if the sets were real?

"Barbie film required so much pink paint it contributed to worldwide shortage"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

This looks brilliant and that it might fit into the genre of movies trying to decipher what's real and what isn't

Only gripe is Margot Robbie looks too old for the part reminding me of Diana Ross in "The Wiz"

• Advertisement

Continuing this film's weird trend of headlines: it has been banned in Vietnam cos a doodle seen in the trailer looked too close to the disputed area in South China Sea, Vietnam not liking the implication from this crayon drawing 🤭 ...

First reviews are in, all very positive so far. Run time is just shy of 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

😳 I think you could not find a better Barbie than her !! She is only 33 (and a very fresh 33 at that)

Literally can't imagine anyone else doing it.

I shudder at the thought of the previous planned version with Amy Schumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Is there more to life than being Just Ken?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope this gets Oscar nominated for best song for him to perform

• Registered Users Posts: 30,834 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Major Johnny Lawrence vibes there 😅

I know the Barbie v Oppenheimer things were mostly just people having fun but I found it hilarious that someone asked Nolan if he'd seen Barbie yet and he just answered "No" in a kind of grumpy way.

Meanwhile Robbie and Gerwig were posting pictures of them with cinema tickets beside the posters for Oppenheimer, Mission Impossible, and Indiana Jones. I think Tom Cruise did the same but with Barbie instead of his own film.

Oppenheimer definitely the least fun of the summer blockbusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Cruise is the ultimate pro on the red carpet, However I do believe him when he say he will watch both on the same day.

He has them in the right order too I think myself.

I mean he's clearly a cult leader, but I believe nobody loves movies as much as Tom Cruise loves movies.

Side note - My local cinema has 5 showing of Barbie on sale since last week for opening day. 4 in their fancy old fashioned screen, and 1 in their biggest screen. There's lots of tickets sold for all 5 showings already. They've only got Oppenheimer in their other fancy recliner screen for 1 showing, and nobody has bought tickets yet.

I don't think anyone really thought Oppenheimer would outsell Barbie though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The film’s going to be a mega hit. Actual projections are massive and the marketing blitz is fairly unprecedented. But anecdotally speaking this film has broken through in a way I haven’t seen in a while - I’ve spoken to lots of people planning entire days out themed around going to see this.

And of course it’s going to body slam Oppenheimer, but one’s a three hour long serious drama about the creator of the atomic bomb and the other is a bright, summery comedy based on a children’s toy. Not exactly apples and oranges, but sure cinema is better with both of them and I’m sure both teams are delighted with the cross-pollination that’s going on in the promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Not sure about that Johnny - loads I’ve talked to seem to think it’s a cheapo tacky kids film and no intention of seeing it...

”my little pony” effort was one comment.

then of course there’s the feminists/trans crowd and other groups planning on protests at screenings in the States and UK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Tracking numbers are obviously just a forecast and could change, but latest ones have it opening to Mission Impossible sized box office, if not bigger, in the US - and having a long tail too. https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-box-office-forecast-ninja-turtles-mutant-mayhem-and-meg-2-early-prospects-barbie-tracking-soars/

Anecdotal evidence will obviously be different depending on social groups, but cinema screenings for opening weekend are already selling out or doing exceedingly well in some cinemas near me. It’s almost certainly going to do very well for itself.

If the actual movie is crap though, word of mouth and disappointment will kill it super fast. Hype can be a double edged sword.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this film. Self aware brand management is still brand management and it's a little depressing that the biggest excitement of the years is Mattel effectively producing marketing masquerading as a movie. suppose we have The Lego Movie to blame for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If it's half as fun as the trailers make it out to be it will be a smash it.

The world needs some lightness and fun in it right now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The Lego Movie was the exception of being a genuinely good, fun film that happened to be based on a toy - and indeed managed to get a lot of fun, inventive gags out of that origin.

I haven't seen Barbie, but the fact that the first trailer had a great visual gag riffing on 2001 sold me on the idea that this might be a similar situation where the creative team manage to go beyond "it's a toy ad" and deliver something actually good in its own right.

Time will tell, of course, but compared to the bland, fairly artless feel of e.g. a lot of MCU films in recent years (and other Hollywood output to be fair) this at least looks like it's trying to do something very specific. I'd much rather things like this than the four-quadrant Generic Hollywood Film approach, I know that much.

In Gerwig we trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

A few film journalists I would trust have opinions up on Twitter e.g. Helen ohara she loved it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think as well with it being Barbie, it'll push away a lot of men from seeing it. It's going to outgross Oppenheimer obviously but not sure in comparison to Mission Impossible

Advertisement