Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbie (2023)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

That's the front of my Letterboxd this evening! I can't see it until Wednesday now and I'm feeling very left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Saw it last night. Thought it was good but not absolutely amazing, if I’m honest. The concept is just weird and I found it hard to get on board with caring what happened the way I would with a “normal” movie. But at the same time, it’s obviously very original, which is great!

Ryan Gosling is great and looks like he’s having a blast. His musical number is a highlight 😆 Margot Robbie was made for this role and does the heartfelt bits really well. I dunno, I just found “the message” was extremely heavy handed at times, even if that’s how Gerwig meant it.

I’m glad it’s getting great reviews and it’s great to see the cultural moment it’s having, but I’d be curious to see what other Boardsies make of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭santana75

I was sitting by the window of a cafe thats very close to a cinmea yesterday and in the time I was there I saw throngs of women and young girls decked out in pink, obviously heading to see this movie. I'd guess its gonna be a big hit. Interesting side note.......saw an interview with Tom cruise on the red carpet some where in the world and he was asked if He would be gong to see "Oppenheimer" or "Barbie". Tom's very earnest response was that he would be going to both, back to back, on the same day. That guy genuinely loves films.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Looks like it's going to land above $150m opening weekend in the US - even higher than the Super Mario Bros movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,250 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

An absolute riot.

Very funny, subversive, weird (in a good way) and with a sweet message at the heart of it. Time flew.

Stuffed cinema, lots of pink, laughs throughout people clapping at the end. Lighthouse jammed but lapped it up and well behaved (all sold out).

It's called Barbie but it's stolen by ken, he has a lot of the best lines, Robbie is great but Gosling wowsers.

Also the set design, staging etc is a thing of beauty. Small little touches throughout.

Oppenheimer tomorrow!

Oh Allan and weird barbie and her toy accurate dog, get some good laughs too

Post edited by gmisk on

• Advertisement

Just out of 1225 in lighthouse zero seats, all sold out as well as all Oppenheimer showings. Great to see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Terrific fun and easily the best communal cinema experience since seeing Glass Onion in a full-house.

It's a giddy, goofy film first and foremost - overflowing with jokes, self-awareness and playfulness. It's a reminder of some of the big broad comedies of the 90s and technicolour musicals of the 50s and 60s, but really its well of cinematic references run a lot deeper. Some very overt references and homages to some unexpected (and named) films throughout, but it's also drawing on films as diverse as Toy Story, Hausu, The Brady Bunch Movie, Playtime and more in the way it presents itself. All bathed in garish pink, of course - it shouldn't be any other way.

But yes: incredibly funny film. So many great laugh lines and visual gags (and even maybe the funniest narrator intrusion I've seen in a film), and that's why I'd definitely recommend trying to see it at a busy screening if at all possible. Gerwig is a fantastic comedic director and writer, and her cast is packed with great comedic performances. Robbie is in some ways the most grounded and emotionally-demanding performance of the lot, but she gets plenty of moments to shine as a comedic actor though. But it's definitely Gosling who gets the really juicy stuff here - his Ken is a delightful idiot, especially in the second half of the film as he learns about his bizarre idiot-version of the 'patriarchy'. It might be too broad to go the distance, but really it's an award-worthy performance IMO.

It's definitely 'a Greta Gerwig film', rising above Mattel's cynical motivations to craft something that feels like a distinct and worthy film in a short but increasingly impressive filmography. From her sheer efficacy in being able to do a lot in a very short scene to her wonderful work with ensemble casts, she's a brilliant filmmaker. You know when people give out about a director's voice being drowned out in a Marvel movie? This is a good example of why a corporate blockbuster need not just be a 'for hire' gig.

There is a satisfying emotional core here, and the film almost gleefully embraces the complex social status of the Barbie doll and gender stereotypes - this is relentless in referencing, mocking and deconstructing it all. And of course it reflects its own status as a corporate product that's as much brand management as auteur cinema. But while it certainly has a point-of-view, the film is so endlessly good fun and good-natured and all-consuming in its satirical targets.

Will it hold up as well as Lady Bird or Little Women on repeat watch? Probably not. The film is so restless and busy with ideas some definitely don't land, and of course it can't overcome some of its own inherent contradictions. But I can only repeat that I had a magnificent time. And seeing it with a delighted crowd, laughing along with seemingly boundless enthusiasm, reminded me of that particular magic of the sold-out cinema experience. Sometimes all you need is that one first screening with a game crowd for a film to leave a long-lasting impression.

Very fun little read on some of the random discontinued dolls that pop up in the film

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Terrier2023

i hated it !

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

I hated it also. Was too bored to pay any attention to any message or story in the movie . Couldn’t wait for it end but then I am not it’s target audience . Parents had brought little girls along and they were bored from what I could see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭thefa

I felt much the same as yourself but would label it more along the lines of average than good.

You put it well re not being a normal movie and becoming difficult to get invested in the characters and outcome. The message is heavy handed alright!

Was hoping for more laugh out loud moments but I think the movie is trying to cast a fairly wide net and suffers a bit because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Enjoyable and quirky summer blockbuster with great acting but nothing too special. Felt at times like it was trying to be a few too many things at the same time.

Have absolutely no issue with the message itself but have no idea why they decided to slam us over the head one more time with it in the final scenes. It is the type of thing that looked bolted onto the end because some executive or focus groups somehow didn't understand the million other references throughout the movie.

Overall a great use of IP that could have bombed if misused (likely whatever Amy Schumer would have done). Nice that a studio finally did the smart thing and targeted the female demographic for nostalgia like it has been doing for males for decades. It has been a market just waiting to be tapped into.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Loved it!

Was brilliant!

Ken and Alan were gas!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Tempted to go see it given all the positive reviews!! A mate of mine was chatting about gonna to cinema and it was similar conversation to the lads in this link…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Only quoting myself to say ‘mega hit’ may have been a conservative estimate :) Absolutely mad stuff - biggest opening of the year, biggest opening ever for a film directed by a woman, Light House in Dublin reporting their busiest weekend ever (helped by the equally staggering success of Oppenheimer, of course). I think it’s full-on cultural phenomenon territory, honestly - even a marketing blitz as ubiquitous and expensive as this one had can’t account for that level of success.

Delighted to see it, honestly - thought the film was terrific fun and it’s exactly the type of fun, playful and ambitious film you love to see audiences embracing en masse. I think a lot of studios and Mattel will learn the wrong lessons from it all, but hopefully at least some will understand the main one: let cool filmmakers make the film they want, regardless of the ‘IP’ involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭samo

I really enjoyed this, it wasn’t high on the list but the rain and grey weekend tipped me over the edge yesterday! I got to the cinema and wall to wall teenagers and women in pink (my 6ft 2 17 year old son who I dragged with me loving me at this stage!)

I seriously questioned my sanity (in my defence going to Oppenheimer next week) but 2 hours nicely passed by, definitely not a kids film, Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling were great, visually it’s a treat. Some messaging very overdone at times but overall an enjoyable watch. Even the teenager said it wasn’t the worst film he ever watched !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Wonderful to see both doing so well, it's just great to see cinema becoming a real thing again post-pandemic. I was a bit concerned that Oppenheimer would be smothered by Barbie so I'm delighted to see both doing really well instead

Its great to see the cinemas doing so well after several years of interruptions. Be interesting to see how long the strikes last and how they effect things though. Dune is the next really big film slated for release in Novemeber, but if they can't promote it, and if the festivals don't happen things could get delayed. Barbenheimer could go all the way to the Oscars if the usual awards season shtick doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I seen Barbie today and loved it. I must say do there was some annoying parts like tha Barbie Barbie Barbie constantly part lol. But mostly it was fun but it is most definitely aimed at children.

but 2 hours nicely passed by, definitely not a kids film.

I have to disagree. This is must definitely a film aimed at kids the way the narrating is done and all the advertising of the dolls during and after the film

• Registered Users Posts: 85,505 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think Barbie could do well with Golden Globes nominations but I want Ryan to sing at the Oscars his Ken song from Barbie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

It's brilliant to see cinemas full all weekend. They badly needed it.

I don't think I've ever seen cinemas so full.

If you look at bookings even today, lots of screens are full.

Streaming is great and it's nice to have lots of content but I love going to the cinema still and hope they have a place in the future.

Dingle cinema has closed and is for sale and locals are fundraising to try to save it.

If I won the Lotto, I'd be tempted to buy it but Dingle is such a small town it's hard to see it breaking even.

I guess they make their money in the summer with tourists having nothing to do if it rains.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The movie was tracking to be a mega hit well, well before any reviews were released. I'd argue it was a cultural phenomena on night one where more than half the audiences in most theatres turned up in pink or costumes - again not something that reviews nor word of mouth came into.

I don't see how this is primarily a 'cool filmmaker' doing their thing lesson to learn. The positive word of mouth likely has put it over the top, into that historic territory, but the fantastic marketing and the historically underserved female nostalgia market had set this up an open goal for a director.

Like most of these monster hits, everything had to line up for them to work and it has. For me, the wrong lesson to learn is to claim any one element in the mix is the 'main' reason for success.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Was a pleasure to goto the cinema and see Oppenheimer. Think the over saturation of Disney / Super Hero Movies + Covid put cinema on life support.

The Barbie movie is an original movie for this generation to claim their own, is different from the Disney dirge and also FUNNY it seems. This is a very rare combination.

Definitely going to go see it. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I haven't been to see a film in the cinema since a star is born but very tempted to see this while I'm on holiday in a country where it is not banned 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

yeah but tom cruise is incapable of saying anything negative, especially regarding cinema so id take everything he says with a pinch of salt tbh. he was also asked recently to name his 5 favourite movies and he basically just said "oh i love all movies", they pressed him for a proper answer and he said the same thing.

i think if you asked him if he liked 'triumph of the will' he say yeah cause i just love movies, ALL movies.

saw barbie last night, enjoyed it overall without being in love with it. not exactly the target audience myself but i could understand why someone who grew up interested in the brand would love it. got a little bit ott with the 'god men are complete idiots arent they' schtick at times so i can see incel-types hating it (i see ben shapiro has done a review, havent watched it but im presuming he'll spend most of it complaining about this)

The idea of Ryan Gosling up against Cillian Murphy for Best actor at the Oscars is just as funny as the two films opening on the same day to me. I can't imagine Murphy actually doing the whole campaign trail thing, even if the strikes are over, but the idea of one of those actors on actors interviews with the two of them just tickles me.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭jam17032010

I thought it was rubbish. Way too serious for a kids movie. The "message" was a bit dodgy in places too. As for humour, it's Will Ferrell type humour, which is not funny IMO.

My 3 daughters often watch Barbie cartoons on Netflix and they are a lot lighter, funnier and give a more positive image of Barbie as a positive influence on young women IMO.

This will do well because of the pester power of kids as well as nostalgia in older girls/women, but it's not a good movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭jam17032010

Fair enough, but it's advertised before other kids movies (the little mermaid) and it's about a kids toy and the posters are saturated in pink. What parents aren't going to bring their daughters who want to go?

• Advertisement

A film can be suitable for kids without being aimed at kids. It's 12A, right, which means suitable for 12 and over, if accompanied by an adult, which means not for kids. It's up to parents to look at what they're bringing their young teens to see. One look at the trailer would have told anyone it's something entirely different from the animated Barbie films. And I'm not sure there's many 12 to 16 year olds actually watching the animated Barbie films anyway.

Advertisement