Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbie (2023)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I think any men who just like films and have seen any of the trailers or clips from Barbie will still see it. But I assume that's what the Oppenheimer counter programing was about. For the kind of man who couldn't possibly go to Barbie.

Funnily enough I was talking to some friends the other day who are chronically online, and they laughed at me when I mentioned going to see Barbie, and when they realised I was serious they were very confused. They had no idea what it was about, who was in it, hadn't even seen the trailer. I was shocked because of how much time they spend online and on social media but they hadn't gotten one bit of the Barbie hype that seems to be everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,974 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Really goes to show that everyone's online experience is different, depending on what the algorithms decide to serve them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it certainly isnt a lads film or a father son film, It's going to appeal to groups of young people, teens and twenty somethings that just see it as the collective cool thing to watching at the moment.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Greengrass53

Same here. I couldn't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Greengrass53

Saw a trailer before Indiana and did LOL. Wouldn't have dreamt of going to it but can't wait now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So basically, the primary, most important demographic Hollywood has focused on for the last 15 years? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Absolutely and Oppenheimer being the non intersecting Venn diagram more or less, hollywood has been dire with the lack of light/comedy type films for whatever reason so hope it does well ,

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Yeah, I just felt like Barbie is absolutely everywhere, intersecting all areas of interest, but I was proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Barbie review embargo tonight at 12, and Oppenheimer tomorrow evening I believe. Hope they both get very positive reviews, thou I look forward to seeing both

There's already reviews for both online from places that wouldn't break an embargo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I gotta say though, whilst it has been broadly in good spirits the way Barbia & Oppenheimer have been pitched against each other as rival films, is very weird.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I would say the general cultural mood around the two films has been broadly positive - a genuine celebration of two auteur blockbusters at opposite poles of the tonal spectrum being released together. The trades might be playing up a rivalry, but the cultural consensus is very much ‘Team Barbenheimer’ and only playing up the most playful of feuds.

That said, if there is a rivalry it’ll be between Nolan and his former studio Warner Bros. The breakup there was nasty, so I’d say he’s likely peeved that they’re programming their bigger summer film against his.

I think the vast majority of it had been in good spirits. Anyone taking it seriously probably needs to get out more.

It's been interesting to watch though, this kind of self spawning promotion though. I doubt even the most savvy of PR people could have made any of this happen on purpose. There's just something so ridiculous about the content of the two films being compared that it has just gone beyond the classic counter programming that's been happening for ever.

If anything it probably benefits Oppenheimer the most. Nolan is a film maker that appeals to some but not all, and I for one would have had very little interest in seeing Oppenheimer in the cinema, if at all. But now it feels like seeing both is a cultural moment and maybe I'll go and see it after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,665 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well I was just looking at booking for both this and Oppenheimer and there is actually some screannings sold out for both already which is great to see but more for Barbie than Oppenheimer.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Bit annoying for the OmniplexMaxx screenings as they're both sharing one screen. Barbie during the day and Oppenheimer at night.

Ms

That must be annoying all right.

I considered doing both of these in one day at the Vue nearest to me but it just does not work out for me. Too late for my liking.

Decisions decisions lol and I just remembered there is a history walk on local to me Friday I am thinking of going on too :)

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Oppenheimer is 3 hours long, there's no way I'd be trying to do both on the same day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Reviews are coming in and, in the least surprising news ever, Gerwig has seemingly done it. Never in doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, if it was the Omniplex here, i'd be doing Barbie at 5 (so leaving house at 4.20ish) and Oppenheimer at 7.40 so wouldn't really be done in the cinema until close to 11 when you take in ads. I probably could have done it when I was younger but not now

If I was to attempt both in one day I think I'd want to do Oppenheimer as early as possible, have a few hours break, and do Barbie in the evening.

I saw one Letterboxd review of Oppenheimer that said "now I have become deaf, the destroyer of ears" which is very clever, but also suggests its not something I want to be watching late at night and trying to wind down after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,326 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭nachouser

Barbie, Drive, Oppenheimer, 28 Days Later, The Wolf of Wall Street for the win. It would leave you with a smile on your face, at least.

Ms

No fear of that happening to me anyway. I am already half deaf :(

I probably could have done it when I was younger but not now

Ye the same here.

I even remember going to see 3 films in one day once. No idea which films they were lol but no way would I do it now.

Crazyiest Cinema thing I ever done was seeing Star Trek 09 eight times over 4 days in 4 different Cinemas lol. That was back when you could. But when I think of it now I think what a waste 4 times or even 2 was enough.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,086 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Booked tickets for Saturday to see Barbie in the lighthouse, only tickets left are for early and late night showing everything else sold out.

There's 13 showings of Barbie in my local smallish cinema today, and all the evening ones are pretty much sold out, and the earlier ones are filling up fast.

I genuinely don't think I've ever seen anything like this. Even when a new Marvel comes out, the first day might be pretty busy but they'd never have that many screenings of it.

The sales in the Light House are mad. I know that's basically the flagship cinema in Ireland for the film (along with the Stella) but definitely have never seen virtually every screening on opening weekend sold out.

Had thought it was because it was shifted to a smaller screen because of Oppenheimer 35mm, but nope - screen one is included! That's 277 seats per screening.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I suppose it hits a lot of different demographics. Comedy, PG-13 so younger audience can go, girls/women day/night out, date movie. And then plenty of guys plan on seeing it as well, with or without Oppenheimer.

Ms

Yep that's it. Seen one guy sitting in front of where I was sitting this morning watching Oppenheimer with his Girlfriend and she was clearly dressed for Barbie. Fair play them if they do both on the same day.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Speaking as a power-mad CMOD, I am wondering if I should just merge the Barbie and Oppenheimer threads together - just for the sake of cultural consistency?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I did Oppenheimer at midnight and Barbie at 1in the afternoon so technically both in the same day.

Barbie is brilliant, well written, well acted, well directed and just a tonne of fun. Anyone who writes it off as misandry or toxic is a moron incapable of understanding subtext.

Advertisement