Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Probably makes sense. Unless Madge goes all diva about not doing Saturday and/or being upstaged by Taylor. Madge has a history of being a bit of a prat regarding other female "rivals".

The state of her though, fcuks sake

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I think that Glasto are doing it cleverly, aiming for a balance but not confining themselves as Primavera have done. When you set quotas for gender then race, disability, sexuality will follow and you tie yourself up in knots. The Eavises are wisely going down the egalitarian route but giving themselves some wriggle room.

And, as ever, the acts that can sell out large venues will be the acts that get the big slots irrespective of their race, gender, etc.

As before there’s no great difference between any of the nights. The days of Saturday being the main headliner are long past. It happens regularly (Macca, Stones) but in the past twenty years it can just as equally be Friday (U2, Arcade Fire, REM, Radiohead) or Sunday (The Who, Blur, Stevie Wonder, Beyoncé, Coldplay, The Cure, Ed Sheeran, etc). It’s basically down to touring schedules and artists negotiating spots.

The Saturday night headliner gets a longer and later time slot still. GnR will do 2 1/2 hours.

Anyway Taylor defo for 24, maybe Madge but I suppose Rhianna or Dua Lipa too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Do you folks that pilgrimage to Glastonbury go to other fests or is it Glasto all the time?

Why not Roskilde or something else?

Having enjoyed camp fests like EP, sziget and non camp like mad cool/nos alive I'm curious and perhaps would like to go next year.

Is Glastonbury your fav or do you have a better fest.

Like I can imagine trucking over all your stuff to the UK is a slog. What's the sound like?

What's it like watching the main stage on the outskirts of the crowd when the main act is on?

What's the main selling point to you?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Ive been to Witness, Oxegen etc loads, Picnic a few times, Glasto (lost count) Mad Cool, Rock Am Ring and now go to End of the Road every year.

End of the Road is the only one that comes close to Glasto in terms of the buzz there, albeit a lot more chilled and easy. First thing I judge, can you bring your own booze in. If not, its a no from me.

Sound at Glasto is usually great. Theyve had new audio guys for the last decade or so. I bring less and less every year. 1 rucksack and the missus brings a small rucksack.

Theres nowhere like Glasto. Apart from the New Orleans French Quarter festival but thats a different jaunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Hah. Yeah, it's quite possible that they would have 3 female headliners. Can you IMAGINE the frothing at the mouth at that? Hahahaha All the usual suspects (Who have never been) would trot out the usual "XYZ is not Glasto material". They would lose. their. freakin'. MINDS at that :)

Friday sad Saturday’ headliners have finished at the same time (11.45) for several years. Sunday is usual 11.30.

McCartney got longer but that’s to be expected. I’ve never known any priority in time for Saturday nights. At the previous fest in 2019 The Cure had the longest set on Sunday night. The last festival before that in 2017 Radiohead on the Friday night had 2hrs 15mins, 30 mins more than Ed Sheeran on the Sunday and 15 more than the Foo Fighters on the Saturday. Clashfinder was my source.

Any night is good for an act to headline, though some artists may see it differently. And I reckon Madonna would not want to compete with Taylor Swift on crowd numbers over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭crl84

Imagine EP, but far less commercial branding shite. And about 10 times the size. Far more hidden areas and a much better lineup. Glastonbury has approx 100 stages. They only show 6 of them on TV. The first two days don't have anyone playing on the big stages, but have 30 odd stages open on the Wednesday, and even more on the Thursday.

Roskilde has about 8 stages and is far, far weaker than even the main two stages at Glastonbury IMO.

Taking stuff over is fine. We get the ferry and drive with a car load of stuff. Friends have also flown and checked in their gear, and then picked up supplies in a taxi on the way to the site.

What's the sound like is an unanswerable question. There's 100 stages with 100 different setups/configurations, with 100 different sound engineers....

Never been to Sziget, but EP doesn't hold a candle to it, especially what EP has become in the last 5 or so years.

I still go to other festivals, both camping and non-camping, but Glastonbury is by far the best of them all IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The first couple of times I was at Glasto, a couple of our group were always of the mindset to sit as far back as possible to avoid the crowd. Looking at the crowd, it always looks like a nightmare from the distance.

However later (Once the couple stopped going) we decided to give it a go to go in further. When at the Pyramid now we usually aim for between the sound stages, towards the front and this is no problem. Yes, it's crowded. You will not be sitting down for the last couple of acts on the Pyramid. But there is room to breathe and move than it looks (Usually). But, of course you can grab your chair and sit further back. Sound on the main stages are fine, even back a bit due to the layout. The Pyramid and Park have slopes behind them, West Holts has a lot of stalls around it etc.

I've only ever also been to EP and a couple of other much smaller festivals. As has been said above, Glasto is large. It can take you 20 mins + to get from one stage/area to another (You most certainly will get your ten thousand steps in). But if you stay at the main stages, you are missing a HUGE amount. (Having seen the Arctic Monkeys there before, I would be giving them a miss if I get resale tickets).

Hauling your stuff... Depends on what you want, how you want to get there and where you want to go. I'm old... so very old. So we usually fly into Bristol. Usually Wednesday. Do a big booze shop and some last minute things (Wellies maybe) in Bristol and get the bus on Thursday morning. Usually stay 5 mins or so from the Bus gate area as it's far enough back that music won't cause an issue if you are back early (Although removing trees between Other Stage and this area lead to a noticable increase in volume. But this IS a music festival and if one complains about the music being too loud, maybe it's not for them 😀).

So when leaving the tent to head in, I usually have my chair, fleecy top, poncho (Depending on weather), bog-roll, baby wipes, empty 1.5 litre bottle for water and booze. As I don't drink shorts, I try to stick to wine for alcohol as drinking gallon after gallon of beer and then standing in the middle of a crowd for a few hours is... yeah, is taxing. (But I do sample the local ciders. It would be rude not to, in sommerset). So it's not too bad at all. Some go lighter, some haul carts.

If it's your first time, pace yourself, have a realistic timetable (You are NOT going to catch a bit of clashing acts). hydrate and have fun. It's both bigger and smaller than you think and both more than and less than you expect. I know that sounds stupid. But at times we make it sound like it's heaven on earth. It's not. But the people and craic is great ans it should be experienced by anyone who has even a passing interest in music festivals.

• Advertisement

I’ve been going on and off since 1986 and for me no other festival is anywhere close. I’ve been to several Picnics, Reading, Oxegen, Latitude, Primavera Sound, Pohoda and some others. All fun but there’s one on a level above the rest.

The creativity on display at Glasto is peerless and everything good at other festivals seems to emanate from there. Free-flow is excellent, the range of acts and stages is top notch and it’s effectively a twenty-four hour event.

There are downsides. It’s now exorbitantly expensive, particularly when you add in flights, coaches, food and drinks but good planning lessens that cost. It’s also far more tiring given the walking distances and length of event, effectively six days including travel. I do an average of 26/27km per day there. That exhaustion can be offset by relatively early nights (eg 2am) and less booze/substances. There are next to no showers but I had a solar one with me on the last 2/3 visits. Not great but does the work.

The weather is also a worry. The ground is soft and takes little rain before it turns into a mudfest. I’ve luckily never been to any of the really bad ones and last year our group had alternative plans in place should it have gone wrong. I’m too old to sleep in a soggy tent and get rained upon for five days. I’d just cut my losses and run. It’s also pretty busy but you learn pretty quickly how to avoid the worst crowds,

In short, as a festival goer it’s somewhere you’ve got to go to at least once. I go every 3/4 years these days. I just can’t afford every year in terms of cost, holiday time, childcare, etc.

The good there far far outweighs the bad. It’s so full of little joys and quirks that are unmatchable with more added every year. It keeps evolving, and those who say it has lost its soul are way off. It remains the very best on offer.

EOTR looks excellent, pals rave about it. Always a great lineup but I’ve never been due to the EP clash. That will probably change soon, and wish I was going this year with Wilco playing. The acts probably ensure an older very mellow vibe. And I guess you but early birds plus arrange transport well in advance so not too expensive? Enjoy your 2023 fests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Thanks everyone for your stories. Definitely some good lessons to absorb.

I agree re Glasto but what do you mean by ‘what EP has become in the last five years’? More pop acts for sure but still plenty of great stuff, two of those years lost to lockdown btw and 2022 had less international travelling acts.

Cheers.

Yeah early birds were about €220, flights were €120 to Bristol. May rent a car if its cheap or even just a taxi. About 80 quid and then the bus back.

Great thing about EOTR is its 4 days. Wilco are on Thursday this year. King Gizz on the Sunday. Nice long break. And the weather is always good. Think the last rainy day was in 2011!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Fanirish

2022 has the most amount of international bands touring throughout the summer months.

EP has evolved in last 8 or years, expansion of branded stages/areas, capacity increases, new areas such as terminus etc. programming has changed to compensate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,171 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

All in you'll have no change out of €1500 fyi, at least I don't expect to anyway.

Dude, you’re really tempting fate with those last two sentences. 😄

I sincerely hope you’re right, and I’ll be particularly envious on the Thursday night. There are few better live bands on the planet than Wilco, what a way to start a weekend.

We all know how EP has evolved over the last two decades but I’d asked @crl84 what he’d specifically meant by his negative take on it.

And what do you mean by ‘2022 has the most amount of international bands touring….’ Did you mean to say 2023? Or 2022 ‘had the most….’? And relative to which years? Sorry @Fanirish but it’s not clear.

You stated that 2022 had less international acts touring, you didn’t state any comparison year. 2022 had the most international bands touring especially throughout the summer than any other in recent decade. Bands couldn’t even find tour buses to rent cause demand was so high.

between rescheduled festivals and concerts last year was over subscribed for bands around europe.

• Advertisement

Difficult to ascertain because of your grammatical error. I’d also naively assumed that you were aware of less international acts playing European festivals as booking was occurring while lockdown was ongoing. 2022 suffered from the lingering effects of the lockdown years.

EP 2022 had five US acts, one Australian, one Norwegian, one German and a smattering of other Europeans. The U.K. and Irish festivals had a much higher proportion of acts from these islands than is usual. The Yanks & Canadians weren’t really touring.

If you have an accredited empirical or journalistic source for 2022 having the greatest number of international acts touring please post a link. If not then please stop spoofing. Again.

EP 2022 had over 30 international acts alone from the top 3 sections of the poster, similar to 2019.

if taking just about Non European acts EP 2019 had 6 (the strokes, Mitski, Courtney Barnett, Billie eillish, duff mckagan, parquet courts) in the top 3 paragraphs. So again nearly identical to the 2022 figures you posted above.

you are the one who threw out the blanket statement that less international acts around last year, when even just comparing between EP 2019 and 2022 that is not evident.

I count 7 non-European acts on the 2022 poster.

You omitted Brittany Howard, Richie Hawtin (Canadian bred and passport carrier), Maceo Plex and Soja, from the first thee sections of the 2019 poster. Therefore that’s 10 in that year, a clear 43% more non-European acts than last year from the top end of the lineup.

And once more - If you have an accredited empirical or journalistic source for 2022 having the greatest number of international acts touring please post a link. If not then please stop your spoofing. You’ve already been at it on the Picnic thread falsely confirming several acts for this September that are not playing so no more nonsense please.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

There were also shortages of bus/truck drivers, along with any other in person jobs, last year.

I would suspect that supply side factors had the greater effect than demand on bands finding a tour bus.

I mean the changes in EP in recent years compared to say 2013. It was pretty clear.

This is a Glastonbury thread.

You don't need to turn every single thread into you defending and white-knighting EP and taking offence at every little criticism of it. It's laughably pathetic at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Look at the changes to Reading Festival in this time period. A shambles. Festival industry has eaten itself.

You introduced EP in this thread, not I. Your quote, oddly comparing it to a festival you’ve never been to! Nor obviously checked the 2023 lineup of.

”Never been to Sziget, but EP doesn't hold a candle to it, especially what EP has become in the last 5 or so years.”

Every festival has its faults and I asked you what those at EP have been since 2018. Please clarify. Ad hominem stuff not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Unlike other festivals R&L has always ran with the trends of the time their main target audience is feckless students.

Sziget looks like a binfire this year tbf

• Advertisement

No, I didn't introduce EP to the thread, the post I was replying to did.

I was comparing EP to Glastonbury, not Sziget.

"Please clarify" - nah.

Advertisement