Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2022/2023 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

They're magical. So much nature and so much light. Lazy people make excuses about our summer.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Sorry lads, not bad in comparison to where?

We've the worst summers in Europe if sunshine and heat is your preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,854 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Who TF wants to get broiled to death?

Our summers have been very good of late, relatively dry, warm, excellent agricultural conditions and only brief spells of extreme high temperatures.

I've been in the French interior in 42C of heat and there is absolutely nothing to recommend it.

If the trends keep up the Spanish will be coming to Ireland for their summer breaks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭highdef

As much as I LOVE the heat and sunshine, I have to agree with @Larbre34 in that there has been an improvement in Irish summers of late although 2022 is very fresh in my mind so I could be a bit biased. "IF" the Irish summers are becoming warmer, sunnier and calmer (Jesus, I hate the wind!) as a result of climate change, then there is a chance that our climate will become more akin to the likes of Brittany in France, but without risks of extreme heat the odd time in the summer during a heatwave with winds from the east or south east. Maybe I'm just overly wishing!

Keeping on topic, the latest stratospheric forecast from GFS which shows this for around now:

This for 24th February. Major warming at the North Pole with the polar vortex completely displaced to Western Russia and barely recognisable:

And a couple of days later, at the end of the run, the warming over the North Pole is beginning to subside but another is developing quickly over northern Siberia and the Polar Vortex is more or less obliterated. Bear in mind this is the GFS but it is not alone on the SSW idea.

Broiled to death certainly doesn't sound appealing. Which is why I don't holiday in Kuwait.

But there's somewhere in between Irish summers and Kuwait.

• Advertisement

20C is plenty for me. And there is nearly 20 hours of light in mid June. Embrace the light. I don't particularly want direct sun burning me when I am out and about and I would be very outdoorsy. Sunbathing is absolutely alien to me. I couldn't do a minute of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The effects - if any - of the SSW probably won't show up till March, unless we get a rare quick response in the trop'. So any cold that shows up before then will be linked to the mjo being in phases favourable to blocking. If some of the charts showing a lengthy reversal of the Zonal Winds in the strat are correct then we could have a fairly prolonged cold period in March. If Gerry Murphy is spotted at Dublin Airport within the next couple of week that's all the proof you need that the SSW is going to deliver the goods for us:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭highdef

We're all very different with our preferences. I like it closer to 30° here in Ireland, fine with a bit higher, last year being a good example when it was the lower 30's on a few days yet I was perfectly OK with it. And being right in the centre of the country with no sea breeze influence made it all the better. I felt like I was in the countryside in France. Heaven!

Bear in mind that whether it's 20° or 30° on any given day at your location in Ireland, the sun is the same strength. You still receive the same amount of radiation. So many people associate the perceived temperature with how "strong/burning" the sun is. Ultra violet is what damages/burns but infrared is the heat that you feel on your skin. They're very different things. Ultra violet is always strongest at solar noon (assuming it's clear from dawn to dusk) but infrared often peaks in the mid to late afternoon, hence my the highest temperatures in summer can often be about 16:00/17:00 or thereabouts. A lot of this is due to various surfaces that have been absorbing the suns rays all day that then release it as infrared heat in the afternoon and evening

I love sunbathing. I spent over two hours (with sunscreen applied) lying on a sun lounger at the house in Longford on one of the hottest days. There wasn't a breath of wind. It was heaven.......from my perspective. Can completely understand how it would not appeal to others.

24-28 would be my preference and if we got actual sunshine durimg those light hours that would be a different story.

Id argue anyone saying we have good summers has a very short memory because they're only remembering 2022 and 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Your not far off theirs 17 hours of daylight in June, mid 20s will do me , our houses are built to keep in the heat so at night it's a hot box unlike continental Europe they have air conditioning etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's coming...soon

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Winter

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

CFS extended finally delivers winter for second half of March on the latest run. Unlikely to verify but in reality I would like if we could get this in the first half of March rather than the second half, but after a mild lame winter at this stage we will have to take what we get.

Becoming much cooler around the middle of March with winds in from the north-east.

Paddys Day would be anything but green particularly in Leinster. Lovely Greenland High just where you want it.

Bitterly cold air and some stiff winds screeching in from the east in a very unstable flow.

A threat of low pressures bumping into the very cold air could give serious disruption depending on where the track of low pressure sits, particularly on the northern side, however warm sectors with the low pressure could cause problems for coastal areas in particular, However if this verified much of the country would be covered in snow.

After the low passes we are back in a bitterly cold north-easterly, this would be day 10 of snow potential.

Remains very cold until the end of the month and milder air eventually breaks through on April 1.

Now if only this would verify, this is the CFS afterall so several dumpster trucks of salt required for this one. However it is worth noting that the CFS has been playing around with a cold to very cold March for several weeks now, but in reality if we are to get some cold weather in March it is very unlikely to last as long as what I have just posted, I would be expecting something more toned down in reality.

I would take that if we had the snow storm to end all snow storms in Mid March . A three day blizzard that dumped 70 cms of snow. By the way did the CFS flag the events of five years ago in advance?

If the CFS is anyway right it could last a while because some charts were showing a fairly lengthy reversal. Also a major SSW can have effects on the trop well up to a month afterwards, sometimes longer. We just have to hope this downwells, the danger is that it might not so we end up with a situation like 2019, a ssw that is sod all use to us

Post edited by nacho libre on

+720 hrs.

Are ye serious lads? I know this is the FI thread, but that ridiculous.

72-120 hours is about the limit of actualisation for zonal reversal. Anything else should be in the SSW watch thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Gonzo, that's your first positive post this winter! Keep believing 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Are we really expecting another 'beast from the east' 2023 instalment?

I don't have fond memories of the last one. A good friend committed suicide in London, we got trapped over there after attending the funeral and couldn't get home to our kids, who were also devastated that our dog had gone missing.

Absolute nightmare three days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Since the middle of December there hasn't been any eye candy till now and there are a few things lining up which could promote some sort of cold spell hopefully in our direction within the next 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

No, and it will be a good few days (maybe weeks) before anything interesting appears in the forecasts, if it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The frogs have started spawning in my garden pond. It would be better for them if there is no more sub zero nights this year

You'd be pretty unlucky to have that sequence of events repeat itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

That is a whopper of a spread beyond day 8. We can expect to see a lot more if this as the week goes on with the SSW kicking off from midweek.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

The EC46 and CFS are on the same page for March with a blocked theme. We can see the GEM and ECM are trying to get the party started earlier via the mjo. I think that might not work out. Whatever happens I doubt we will see anything like a beast from the East, Sryan can explain, if he wishes too, the differences between now and then as to why. However, if the reversal downwells properly into the trop we may get a cold and snowy week or so during the first or second week of March.

GFS is starting to show some candy around the day 10 mark. We are constantly on the edge of the cold but it's proper cold, so a slight nudge and we'd be golden.

Just looking at the CFS and it is particularly cold for second half of March and well into April with frequent wintry blasts from the north and east. I haven't seen a mild CFS run in well over a week at this stage. IF the CFS and ECM extended are correct Winter is going to finally get started in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The major sudden stratospheric warming is set to occur tomorrow evening and Thursday should be the first full day of easterlies at 60N 10hPa (known as the central date). If we use the minimum threshold of 2 weeks for impacts, that takes us to Thursday March 2nd. This gives us an idea of the earliest we should see the impacts being felt from the SSW if we are going to see downward propagation or a tropospheric response. As it's over 2 weeks away, reliability on what models say should be non-existent because different solutions will be played with.

A complicating factor I have not discussed is whilst there is a major warming going to take place at 10hPa, in the lower stratosphere closer to the troposphere, the polar vortex is more stubborn. If propagation occurs in the longer term, this will not matter. Why I mention it is because it might be important in determining the latitude the MJO amplification might gain hold. The MJO favours a mid-Atlantic to Greenland block with a Scandi trough towards the end of the month. However as is usual, the state of the polar vortex at the time will have a say on how far north that block gets. If it's a mid-Atlantic ridge, you can expect transient northerlies or northwesterlies. If it's more over Greenland/Iceland, you can expect more of a northeasterly tilt.

As the CFSv2 keeps being brought up here, I might as well mention it too despite its usefulness being questionable a lot of the time. The model shows a very strong negative NAO signature for March 2023 at the moment with strong Greenland blocking. The way the Atlantic trough is aligned wouldn't be that conducive to a cold or very cold month though and in fact could find ourselves often in southerly winds. Details like that will not be firmed up on this early. The trough was much closer to us in some prior updates in an even more conducive southerly wind pattern. There will highly likely be more changes.

There is no beast from the east in the forecast and although you cannot fully discount one happening, going to put my neck out and say there will not be one happening. This setup is very different to 2018. 2018 was a major split of the stratospheric polar vortex with daughter vortices set up in the perfect way conducive for a long fetched easterly from the heart of Siberia and the progression of the Ural high retrogressing to Greenland complimented that all along with favourable MJO amplification. In fact the retrogression in 2018 was too strong to the point that the block became west based -NAO and retrogressed to North America which allowed Storm Emma to successfully undercut ending the cold spell early although of course on the St. Patrick's Day weekend, we got a renewed easterly push. It's rare enough we get all the drivers in sync with one another and part of why, aside from our geography, these severe cold wintry spells are exceedingly rare.

Just for the record, I don't want cold weather. I am well over it. I am on the spring train. Although if snow does occur, I will make the most of it and enjoy it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement