Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If a tradesperson said something racist to you, would it put you off hiring them?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

I still think you are wrong. It's absolutely not equivocal.

Having an issue with someone being overtly racist in your company is not the same as watching a football game that happens to be in a country with more than questionable human rights issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭walshb

And here is another thing. I have had many tradesmen in my house/company and none were racist/bigoted. So, I don't think it's too much to ask that whomever is in your house simply does his/her work and behaves in a normal decent way. They're not like hens teeth, folks, There are plenty to choose from.

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Once again, I couldn't give 2 fcuks who's racist or not, as I said I don't care where I get my goods either, but I do have a problem with people picking and choosing which racists they like or don't like, people can be racist all they want, theres laws in place to keep them in check, it's not my job to police people's thoughts and actions

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If I had a say house that needed painting and I was recommended..

1) Joe Kelly.. great worker, clean, efficient, an eye for detail, on time, good staff, reasonable quote… but isn’t a fan say of certain demographics of individual and not afraid to express said sentiment on occasion…

or

2) Kevin Smith..good worker, very nice guy, works clean, works with just his son, not the fastest paintbrush in the west but gets on with it, competitive quote but not express.

do you want ? The better worker ? Or the better human being ? You ain’t coughing up a grand to make friends…

by entering into a business agreement with a person who is a racist or has other undesirable issues… you are not supporting them or endorsing their views.

if you would not hire them… how about this.. if you had a taxi driver taking you from Templeogue say, to the airport… back full of luggage and he went off on one to a racist degree about… whatever…. 7 kilometers from the airport…

Would you

1) demand he pull over, pay the fare, unload bags… attempt to acquire another suitable cab via hailing or app ?

or

2) think, jeez this guy is a bit of an ignorant dose… get there, pay him without tipping and adios.

you won’t cure racism… discrimination has existed in all forms since the dawn of time practically…

better off getting on with your life and not getting bogged down in tacit aggravation by it… too much grandstanding on the topic it’s zzzz … I’d rather know a non violent racist then a violent head case head the ball who was unprejudiced and open minded about race issues.

You do realize, folks that there are plenty tradesmen out there who are not racist bigots, and who are both reasonably priced and very good at their job. How about getting these lads? And this nothing to do with curing racism

• Advertisement

You’re trying to conflate here in order to make yourself out as being anti racism everyehere, and to make out that some people are hypocrites (based off watching the WC on tv) is so obviously clear. It’s a completely ridiculous conflation.

In other words, racism that is blatant and clear and in your direct company and displayed to you personally, is the exact same as us watching soccer on TV where a country has questionable human rights issues.

And because we do not accep/tolerate the former, if we do not also condemn the latter (by not watching the WC) we are hypocrites. Gotcha!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

"watching soccer on TV where a country has questionable human rights issues" It goes way way beyond that w, the ruling regime there are one of the most disgraceful despotic and racist regimes to have ever walked the planet. You are dealing with a family that literally believe they are related to some sort of desert djinn demon so they can do literally whatever they want to whoever they want. Including their own people. They wouldn't p!ss on you if you were on fire, let alone some poor desperate man from Pakistan or Bangladesh, they'd spit in your face for you being who you are. But yet, you have zero problem funneling money to the likes of that by literally supporting their propaganda, their spit in your face showpiece to the world.

You said up there "surely in our own homes we can exercise some common decency" yeah, you sure can, and you can do it too by turning off your television if it has anything to do with that racist trash regime.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Ok, sorted so. We switch off the tv, and all is fine n dandy, and we can remove that hypocrite tag!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

Well you won't be supporting racists will you? Racists far worse than Billy John Macwhoever you think is one that ultimately matters f**k all

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

The biggest load of bollocks whataboutary I've seen on Boards for a while.

• Advertisement

You are making a poor attempt at accepting racist arseholes into your house and silently condoning their behaviour.

JUST BECAUSE they aren't racist to native Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

There you go getting all uppity again, your first inclination was the threat of violence, then it was to sue the tradesman, now you think it’s whataboutary if I don’t care and just want my boiler fixed. How do you get through life being so easily offended?, it must be terrible, your PC antennae must be constantly twitching.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

I wouldn't care very much tbh.

Pay a man to do a job, he does the job well, everyone gets what they want and tips along.

So I'm PC or I'm not PC, make up your mind, you seem mighty confused.

I just cant stand hypocrites and whataboutery. Leftie my arse.

Yoi ever think I or any customer might have a Chinese friend, an African wife or whatever. People who throw racist epithets around are on thinner and thinner ground these days in Ireland, the odds of it blowing back on them badly are increasing i.e only a fucning moron would start that shite with a random customer. And there iS HATE SPEECH legislation now.They can get their arse sued and rightfully so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You don't appear to know what you are talking about.

Getting sued is a civil issue. Hate speech is a criminal issue. Big difference between the two.

There is old legislation on Hate Speech called The Prohibition of Incitement to Hatred Act 1989. A tradesperson saying to me 'fcukin chink' would not be a crime under that legislation.

There is new legislation on the way but it hasn't been enacted yet. It's called the Criminal Justice (Incitement to Violence or Hatred and Hate Offences) Bill 2022. It's unlikely that a tradesperson saying to me 'fcukin chink' would be crime under that legislation either. Broadly speaking, you'd have to incite violence or hatred against a person with a protected characteristic. That said, we don't know how the courts will interpret the law so we'll have to wait and see.

And as regards being a hypocrite, if you've children in a house with no heating tonight because of a burst pipe or broken burner, you'd be quick to get down off your high horse if the only plumber in your area was known to spout racist shyte.

So it appears I do know what I'm talking about.

I'm pretty sure 'the **** 'insert racist tag here' is going to fall under that legislation one way or another. I wouldn't take that chance if I was a tradesman, easy lawsuit. Even getting sued is going to look really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Meh, if your kid is a plumber and hates white people, I’m cool with that, now fix my boiler and be on your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

The tradesmen who upset you. The thread title. You never actually told people what this evil Nazi Black Panther Communist said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

If I get food from the local Chinese and its not great can I say that fcukin chink we got last night gave me a dose of the scutters, or would I be racist towards my duck in olangey sauce that gave me the aforementioned dose of scutters, is it possible to be racist to a plate of food

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

How do identify the non racist tradespeople.

Do you get them to fill out a 10 page questionnaire followed by in depth interviews with scenarios to tease out their horrible views.

Is there a website that shows the vetted non racist people I can choose to hire ?

No tradesmen upset me. Any tradesmen in my house working were sound. It was more an “if/hypothetical” scenario.

Post edited by walshb on

Folks seem to be getting unnecessarily bogged down here in conflation and detail that is not necessary:

simple: you need boiler fixed. You start to shop around. You end with A and B. A is very reasonably priced, and has very good recommendations of his work. He visits you to discuss the job and he gives you the price. He comes across as a normal sound dude.

B arrives and he gives you price. Also reasonable and has very good recommendations. During his time in your house in your company he exhibits bigoted and racist views to you.

Pretty much the only difference here is B being a clear bigoted racist. And not afraid to display it to you, a stranger, in your own home.

now, who do you hire?

It appears to me that some are trying to be so anti-woke, you’re bringing in stuff that is illogical

There is absolutely nothing woke about folks not being happy or comfortable with a stranger in their homes exhibiting racist/bigoted views.

Post edited by walshb on

The deal breaker..

or if two birds, the one with the biggest tits!!😅

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

In your made up scenario, you ended up with two plumbers who called to your house without knowing if they were going to get the boiler repair gig.

What sort of parallel universe do you live in ?

In the real world, you get one plumber calling, you speak for about five minutes before the job starts and he is talking about boiler stuff. You leave him to get on with the job and perhaps half way he is a spouting racist crap.

While the theory is, you send him packing, the reality is you now need another plumber who will see a half started job. He asks why, and you tell him the previous plumber was being racist. Good luck with that moral grand standing.

The likelihood is you don’t find out about the racist views until after the job starts. You allow him to finish the job and decide never to hire him again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I think the point here is that nearly everyone here, myself included, wouldn't really want a tradesperson in our house spouting racist shyte but if you have an emergency and are stuck to get your boiler fixed in the dead of winter, most people would keep their mouth shut and overlook the racist shyte rather than give the plumber/tradie the run as heat is more important than ethics at a time like that.

In my area, plumbers are like hens teeth so shopping around isn't always an option.

Advertisement