Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If a tradesperson said something racist to you, would it put you off hiring them?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I don't see the connection between being racist and being too stupid to do wiring or boiler installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

As much as I dislike racism, I'm not actually objecting here to someone having those opinions .

My point is, lots of people have opinions they know will be objectionable to a significant percentage of folks.

If you don't realise you are putting off your client by spewing racist shite, then you're stupid and you're careless. Not qualities I would want in someone doing work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

If I needed the job doing and they were gonna do it properly - then no, it probably wouldn't put me off. Would I choose to have anything other than the bare minimum of interaction? Yes.

I work with several people who are blatant racists/homophobes/bigots. I do challenge them sometimes on comments, etc but it really gets me nowhere. Nothing I say is going to change their beliefs so more often than not, I just ignore it and carry on with my work. I'd never get anything done if I spent my time trying to convert them to being properly functioning human beings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Tradespeople talk rough and ready, most of the time it's to take the pi*s. Not defending the person, i was called all sorts in other countries too, it's pretty normal to be honest they probably don't realize how bad it sounds or it's implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

ask them have they ever had their tools stolen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Update: I ended up going with a different guy today, he was more expensive but picked up on things that the other guy didn’t, and didn’t go on any racist rants. I feel good about my decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

So would you reject life saving treatment from a doctor who happened to be a "bigoted knuckledragger" to use your words.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm a white man. Hardly likely to find out in that scenario.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If I had asked for a tradesperson who would do a good job fixing my boiler and not say anything that might offend me, and the plumber in the op turned up, I’d have a problem.

But I just want the guy to fix my boiler and not rip me off, beyond that, he can say whatever the **** he wants as long as he isn’t abusing the customer.

Get a grip, not everyone has to be PC.

Thank you for refuting the one of the most common lines in the leftists arsenal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Same concept doctors are doing a job they are qualified to do so are tradesmen

It's really not. I'm amazed I have to even point this out.

H. H. Asquith

Thank you for confirming my impression that you look down your nose at the white Irish working class plebs.

Thanks for confirming that you think all working class people are racist and that the right despises them.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Ignore what he says because he won't change. If he wants to be paid in cash ... report him to Revenue😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

There's a guy in our work, that's a bit racist towards foreigners. Chip on his shoulder sort of guy. Somehow manages to blame anyone that's not Irish on everything. Too many of them in the country, taking jobs working for half the wage, on the dole etc, you know the type.

Well, the latest bet all.

Whilst chatting someone about the staff shortages around the country, he said 'it's them f*cking foreigners, they f*cked off when the going got tough with covid and returned home, leaving us high and dry'.

We're not tradespeople by the way 😀

That's a very General discriminatory topic against tradespersons and builders.

Many are homophobic and sexist etc.

You also use the word tradesman. What happened equality should it not be trades person.

I think if society if affording respect to all walks of life you should apply that across the board.

Calling MANY tradespeople sexist etc is not on.

What if those so called tradespeople were as selective or judgemental on their customers for being as they perceive sexist or homophobic themselves and didnt work for such people.

There would be a lot of cold houses and un insralled kitchens is what.

Just one more point on trades they are open to everyone but in my experience I've never came across a non binary, gay, homosexual or any equal numbers of female steel worker or plumber or any trades person for that matter. This is experience I am one of those so called transphobic, sexist trades you choose to look down on.

Maybe it's this equality gender balancing at work.

Just like many primary teachers are women and nurses women and 99% of bricklayer male.

Equality is great when especially when its selective and judgemental.

But to go over your point many trades people arent what you say they are its disparaging to say so.

They perception they present is they are none of the new types of person that suddenly exist, non binary, new working class, gender balanced due to choice,in this century so they are all perceived to be all male dinosaurs who eat breakfast rolls and are perverts. They are not.

They simple fact is they are prepared to get their hands dirty and keep this country on the move.

Where as though we have full equality no one else wants to a trade these days and do you know why.

Because it's hard work that's why.

Plus you dont have time to judge people like tradespeople online if you were out working all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

If your coming to my house to do a service for me, your opinions should stay with yourself. Be as racist as you like but if you make it known to me then I don't want you in my house. Don't care how badly I need the job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

I hope you asked for and thoroughly checked his vaccination certificate before you allowed him into your residence

• Advertisement

Do you ask before you engage their services what their view on race is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Why not engage with them see where its coming from. Then try and outline how its not true the racial view point.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

For those who wouldn't hire a tradesman who said something racist. What do you do if they've make a comment when the job is started?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭deeperlearning

There is zero evidence that being a racist renders someone too stupid to do boiler installations. Or drive a taxi, or play football professionally, or be capable of being trained to be an airline pilot. If the tradesman had not opened his mouth, the OP could easily be recommending him to her friends for doing a good job at a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Coming into someone's house and making a comment like that is either:

1) stupid - they should know that the comment is offensive, if they don't, they are stupid or

2) unprofessional, they know it's offensive but don't care.

I don't want either the stupid or the unprofessional working on my house.

I'm not particularly happy about giving money to racists either.

That was exactly the question which was asked. But at no point was it established that their racist comment rendered them a bad workman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I said this before, but the stupidity doesn't lie in being racist so much as coming out with stuff you know will probably wind people up when you are in their house, on their dime.

Anyone stupid enough to alienate their client for no reason is too stupid to be trusted with any responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yeah, it's stupid. At the end of the day a tradesmen is there to take your money. Not validate his own opinions. But alas, some people are dumb.

• Advertisement

I’ve never got the sense that tradesmen are looking for validation of their opinions, must be a new thing. I’ve always thought that they are there to do what I engaged them to do, for the agreed price, so the take what they earn, unless you are stupid enough not to agree the price beforehand. Beyond that, I don’t care if he/she dresses up in a white sheet and pointy hat in their spare time, as long as the job is done well.

But I do agree with you, there sure are some dumb people, and I may think he/she is a plonker.

Advertisement