Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If a tradesperson said something racist to you, would it put you off hiring them?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

i Don’t remember ever entering into a political discussion with a tradesman so if a plumber etc dropped a throwaway casual racism line , I’d leave him be , now if he turned up at the door dressed like one of those guys who were chasing John Belushi and Dan Ackroyd in the Blues Brothers, that’s where I’d refuse entry and look elsewhere

manifesto speech = no

off colour banter = will you service the boiler while you’re at it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Given the current weather conditions, this thread has proven to be a good laugh.

The community facebook page for my area has several people asking for recommendations for plumbers and boiler repair techs. If by some miracle they manage to get a competent one in a timely manner in this weather and he turns up making racist comments, will they send him away? Will they fcuk. And neither would anyone on this thread no matter what they might claim.

Here we see the difference between the real world (where many people do hold unsavoury views and where tradesmaen are in high demand) and the virtue signalling, online nonsense world where people can claim this and that to enhance their woke credentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Hmmmm. Saying something racist versus smashing someone's fcuking teeth in. I think smashing someone's teeth in or threatening to smash someone's teeth in is a little more serious than someone saying the words 'fcuking chinks'.

But I assume you are joking or have absolutely no recent experience of trying to get a tradesperson in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

People keep saying “if he’s a good tradesman I don’t give a damn” blah blah, but how do you know he’s good? Ok, whatever information you can glean from the internet, but most of the time you’re flying somewhat blind with these things. I start off with a neutral opinion of someone. When he started spouting racist bile, it just made me think he’s a complete moron who’s probably also a **** plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I was in a taxi once and the driver insisted on bad mouthing African taxi drivers- he had one of those cam videos in the car and pretty sure it was focused on the passengers- I’d say his game was to get passengers to say stuff they might not normally admit to (he was quite persistent) and then upload to YouTube or other social media- I didn’t take the bait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I more or less have the same electrician, plumber, septic tank emptier etc. for a good few years now. One or two exceptions when the regulars weren't available. I live in rural Ireland and it's easy enough to hear if a tradesman is good or not.

I don't see how someone spouting racist bile is probably a shyt plumber though. That's like saying someone who is thick can't be a good athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I ask people I know for recommendations, works a charm for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Yes.

Also a tradesperson being so overly familiar with me that they felt they could express political opinions with me would also put me off hiring them.

IMO it's unprofessional and inelegant. I'm not your mate ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

I'm joking. Maybe I will just threaten to sue them for using hate speech and see them back pedal so fast they will crash into the wall lol.

The point is use racist comments to some people one might have to accept the consequences.

Its only that that they have never experienced blowback that they continue with that ****.

I find this thread is interesting, a lot of posters will accept it just because they aren't racist to THEM. That means you are actually condoning it in my book, by saying nothing and continuing to employ these people.

Post edited by maninasia on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

How do you know a well mannered one is a good plumber? Fraudsters are usually charming and inoffensive after all.

Like other posters, as long as the tradesman does a good job, he can say what he wants as long as he doesn’t insult my family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

In emergencies, or half-way through a job, I'd probably have no real choice but to let it go.

But if it came to choosing between two equally compentent plumbers or electricians or whatever, or recommending one to a neighbour, I'd go for the one that doesn't come out with racist or other ugly stuff.

I think you are optimistic if you think you would have a choice if you were in any way time limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

I'd agree with buried here, people have a problem (rightly so) with a racist remark, you can't stand on one side of the fence and condemn someone over saying "fcukin chink" while endorsing a homophobic, racist, misogynistic backwater in the desert who bought and bribed their way to a world cup, they literally caused the deaths of thousands of migrant workers whom they believe to be lesser value and people like you think a plumbers racist remark is somehow woese.

The only difference is though obviously a racist remark the plumber isn't going out tomorrow beheading gays, stoning women or killing immigrants, you want it all your own way but you find it acceptable that fifa and footballers worth millions sold out to the highest bidder with an appalling human rights record and not one of them had the balls to stand up for what is right, you're as bad as the spineless footballers who were all talk while behind the microphone in London and suddenly weren't so brave when out in Qatar.

So yes I'd say you're as bad as that apparently racist plumber for endorsing such a charade, the only difference being the plumber said it out and you hide away behind the keyboard convinced of your moral superiority

Post edited by Still stihl waters 3 on

• Registered Users Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You and Buried are bringing in absoluter scutter here.

Trying to equate the many many Irish people who turn on a tv to watch a soccer tournament in another country 1000s a miles away with these same people not being happy with or comfortable with a complete fooking stranger exhibiting racist/homophonic/xenophobic bile in their homes.....?

Simply the dumbest case of "but what about" I have ever come across

So all us folks who watched the WC on tv are now what, in no position to be unhappy with "a complete fooking stranger exhibiting racist/homophonic/xenophobic bile in their homes?" We are all hypocrites?

Post edited by walshb on

If you can square it with yourself then fair enough, as long as you enjoy it what does the civil liberty of others matter, but yea, a racist remark from a Tradesman is worse

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Even that's a crapshoot. Ireland really needs something like Angie's list in the US. Unlikely we'll ever have it due to the state of freedom of speech here.

Many recommendations I've received here have ended up being for relatives who weren't particularly competent, let alone licensed by even the easygoing Irish licensing system.

Yup I couldn't give a fcuk either, same as I couldn't care what the views of my tradesmen are, but if people get upset over the views of a random plumber they can't pick and choose what racism/homophobic/misogynistic they can ignore, that just makes them ignorant hypocritical charlatans, hey should have the backbone to stand against it all or let them shut their mouth

I really don’t think you get to choose though, this is just more PC bullshit from the woke brigade. Building sites are not necessarily the refined discussion forums that somewhere like boards is 😁. If you choose to be upset, so be it, wait another month for the next plumber, me, I just want him to fix my boiler, don’t rip me off, then go on his merry way when it’s done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

all in all i'd say those folk from countries (irrespective of those countries' 'Human Rights' records - altho, doubtless, most would have very poor ones) where Whitey aint in t'majority, are far more "racist" than the majority of Irish tradespeople

I'd rather a racist plumber/taxi driver etcetera going on a rant than having to sit there trying to think of something to say to him, but that's only me 😃

take it with a pinch of salt, and move on OP; far more worse things to be getting exercised about out there

on the other hand,, if he were to invite ya to a KKK rally, then maybe reassess any potential future interactions with those vile Irish Tradesfolk 🤣

• Advertisement

I would simply not be happy or comfortable with a stranger in my home exhibitibg racist views. I’d look for someone not a racist.

And your answer to this is to wonder how people who have this view can have it whilst also switching on a tv to watch a soccer tournament.

so in order for me and others to be right and consistent here we have to NOT watch a soccer tournament?

what a stupid response.

So no bigotry within earshot, as long as you don't see or hear it you're good with it, gotcha

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭patmahe

In my experience people who are openly racist tend to be ignorant and hard to deal with in other ways too, given the choice I'd rather deal with someone who isn't like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

In the medical field, I've known a few of the top cancer surgeons in the country to be complete arseholes with zero bedside manner and people skills.

Why? Because anyone who hadn't the requisite technical skills would have been sacked years hence.

Same with tradesmen. The more personable they are, the more sh*t I find them to be. The more friendly and talkative a taxi-driver is, the more likely he'll be to rip you off.

I'm as leftie and woke as they come, but you've got the context all wrong. They're not there to be your 'chum'.

The fact that you're doing a 'moral audit' on someone who's come to fix your boiler speaks more to you than it does to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

I take it you don't buy any clothes from companies who use sweatshops, use technology thats components are made by using children laborers and you oppose and are intolerant to people whose religious and cultural views are less than accepting of gays/women and wouldn't want them in the country?

Or is it a case that you are trying to make a vapid argument that you are a big hypocrite if you watch a football match and also say that you wouldn't like a person to say something racist in your house?

If dealing with them consists of showing them your boiler, then paying them when you are finished, it’s not really a hardship, is it? I don’t invite the plumber to stay for dinner or down to the pub for a few pints.

The irony of using a smartphone made in a Chinese mega factory like the one where the workers revolted last week against the Chinese government’s Covid policy, to type a post may be lost on Still.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

You've got me wrong, I'm not the hypocrite, I don't care what the plumber said or did, I also really couldn't care less about where my goods come from, sure in a perfect world we'd all be self sufficient and everyone would be equal but we're not and I'm practical enough to understand the way the world works, some are dealt a better hand than others, my gripe is with hypocrites who support an organisation who sold out to a homophobic racist country for money but get upset over words from joe plumber, or can people pick and choose what racist shower of bastards are ok for now

• Advertisement

Moral audit because maybe folks don't want a stranger in their home spouting racist bile?

Nobody is expecting the tradesmen to be be Mary fooking Poppins, but I don't think it is at all odd to not want some racist in your home.

Ah, shur he was grand. Yes, was openly spouting racist bile in my house, but he fixed the boiler.

I reckon most decent people would look for someone who wasn't a racist bigot.

Some a the logic here is baffling. Making out that people who would rather deal with a non racist bigot are odd. The conflation being presented by some is off.

We cannot solve every issue everywhere in the world, but surely in our own homes we can exercise some common decency, without nonsense about soccer tournaments, or where did our iPhones come from?

Advertisement