Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If a tradesperson said something racist to you, would it put you off hiring them?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Not too difficult to find a tradesman who isn't a gobshyte. Oh how naive you are.

By the way I'm not saying all tradesmen are gobshytes, I'm saying it's hard to find a good one who is available for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I know you’re not saying they’re all gobshytes, I don’t even know what experience @BrianD3 has that he can claim many tradesmen are this, that or the other.

I’m only going off my own experience too and I know plenty of tradesmen, labourers, landlords that use tradesmen, landlords that are tradesmen, and they all have their own people that they know too, and then I have the few who I know are reliable. I’m not sure what your expectations or criteria are, but I don’t expect on-demand service, might wait a day or two, and sure I’m lucky if they’re available immediately.

I’m not so naive that I don’t know they’re all busy, I just know the tradesmen I wouldn’t trust to wire a plug or unblock a drain. Something like a new boiler I definitely wouldn’t be jumping at the first randomer just because they’re the cheapest. Usually they’re the cheapest because they’re undercutting professionals who are registered, certified and regulated.

Normally people only need to find one good tradesman, he’ll know plenty more in the business. Nobody needs to find a whole army of them for what’s usually a one-off job.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I was going to make one up about a Hindu plumber who had very trenchant views on Muslims, but I didn't think anyone would believe it. He had a catchy slogan on his van though, "You've tried the cowboys, now try the Indians".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Boooourns

So you're excusing racists because they have a different beliefs. Wow that's a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Don't know tbh as I haven't been in the position yet but if it comes to safety I'd put that first obviously.

I did drop my gasman as I overheard him at the pub shouting racist stuff during a match. Can't be arsed dealing with dopes like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I remember a taxi driver going on a total racist rant in Dublin one time about black people, so unprofessional and like for all he knew, I could be married to a black person.

another time some older Irish guy (60's) said London was ok but "its full of blacks" wtf? then he kept going, I was amazed how he assumed I hated them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Could you pm me his number please I need a boiler service before winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭Hamachi

You’ll have to fight me for it. Our boiler is on its last legs!

I'd feel very uncomfortable around someone like that. The landlord who said no blacks and no Jews... Jesus Christ, nutjob. And the "effing c*inks" guy... so aggressive and hateful. I'd prefer not to have any further dealings with them, but I guess it depends on how urgent/desperate the situation is.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

My biggest concern would be that he was a 'backward' (person who is as thick as a 5 ton bag of human unprocessed sheite from a domestic toilet) and resulting in this lack of education wouldn't have a fooking clue in to the level of current training of a plumber in to what he was doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

About a year ago, during COVID restrictions, we got a quote from a local company for a tiling job, about a weeks work in all. Gave him the go-ahead, but while waiting to hear as to when he could start my wife came across his *business* Facebook page - full of anti-vax and various conspiracy type shoite copied from his personal FB.

Being a HSE frontline worker, scrubbed, sanitized, vaxxed and masked to the the hilt, there was no way she was going to have him near the house.

So we agreed to cancel the job and the discussion centered around do we tell him why - I was wary that we could end up the target of some online antivaxx mob if he posted about us . On the other hand, nothing is going to change if you don't call it out. But I figured in reality, his opinions aren't going to change anyway, he might just make them less public if it's costing him business. I ended up telling him we couldn't proceed due to unexpected expenses, that we'd get back to him when we had the funds available.

TBH I wouldn't consider engaging a tradesman who was openly racist or bigoted either, would certainly give someone else preference.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Agreed they would / do.

But most would have enough brains to keep their opinions to themselves in workplace situations.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Regretfully for the OP they will need to live in a world that speech codes are not directly enforced, as for instance the film "Demolitation Man".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

The guy can say whatever he likes. The question is whether that would bother someone enough to not hire him.

Why is someone having a problem with blatant racism in their home seen as them wanting to shut down free speech all over the world?

And yes, it’s also because I now see him as a complete moron, incapable of using his brain to know what is and isn’t acceptable- it raises the question of is he also a moron at his job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Many tradesmen, builders and manual workers would have similar opinions. Homophobic and sexist ones too.

I have no doubt you are right - probably lots of 'professionals' as well. But most have the good sense not to share these views with a client/employer upon first meeting them.

As to the OP, it's a tricky one - in all honesty, if I was stuck for a provider of said service, I would probably swallow my principles and bite my tongue. But if I had the option of hiring an alternative, I probably would. And tell the first one: "Sorry I discussed with my wife Xieann, and we decided to go with someone else, thanks for your interest".

Some of my best friends are tradespeople.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I don't give a shite what a tradesman or a car mechanic or whoever thinks or says as long as they get a good job done at a reasonable price.

I really don't care, it's not my problem, I don't want to be their best bud and go for a pint afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Wooah! Many tradesman, builders and manual workers hold opinions like that, along with being homophobic and racist? Think you're displaying your own prejudices with that remark!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yep. I don't see why I should give my money to bigoted knuckledraggers. I know people who've done this as well.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The left today have no idea how to relate to the working class or meet them on common ground.

It's a stark class divide.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Some of us are actually reading this thread! That's right, we can read! Been to school, University, even! So do us a favour. Stop talking about "The Working Class" as if we're the non compos mentus relative in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just life op. Of course, he shouldn't be saying those things from his side. He wants your money why say something that can put people off. But as you said yourself, if he's the cheapest you and everyone else would go with him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They don't mean the working class though. They mean the Tommy Robinson brigade. Plenty of non far right people are working class. It's insipid gatekeeping and nothing more.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Your final piece of advice isn’t going to work unless the OP is a lesbian, who happens to be in an interracial gay marriage with a Chinese lesbian..

I don't believe you (or indeed any of the other posters stating similar).

As another poster alluded to, if a mechanic said to you: "Nice pair of t*ts your daughter has there, is she 18 yet?", are you really telling me you would still leave the car and have the oil changed?

More likely you draw the line at a different point to the OP.

Incorrect - what you are describing is assaulting someone. What I described was a remark that is (very) likely to cause offence, as with the OP.

Several posters have claimed that they would not care what a service provider said so long as they got the work done - I am giving lie to that claim.

Tradesmen can't be on the left?

People on the left can't be working class?

Working class = racist and foul-mouthed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No, I’d let them get on with the job. Racism and indeed even worse discrimination are parts of life, sadly…also…

They could have a conviction for various dispiriting and despicable crimes but you’d never find that out. I worked with a lad who had a conviction for driving a getaway car in an armed robbery..he owed a favour apparently so he had little choice, he was caught and convicted, he knew one of the hiring managers and the background check was falsified or not completed, either way he worked there for years successfully and was a good colleague and employee….ironically one of the more straight up, trustworthy and honest fellas…at that point of his life…

Advertisement