Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If a tradesperson said something racist to you, would it put you off hiring them?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I’m at working class as they come and this idea that working class tradesmen are all these foul-mouthed, racist, immigrant-hating bigots is ludicrous. The vast majority of them are very much the live and let live type, instead of these xenophobic caricatures. That’s an invention created and stoked by the tabloid media.

As for this racist tradesman himself, if I heard anyone using racial slurs in my house I’d boot them out. Then I’d send them a bill for sullying my right shoe when I was kicking their arse out the door while I was at it.

I consider racists, bigots, and xenophobes amongst the lowest of our society and I will not be party to enriching any of them financially.

Someone knowingly hiring a racist tradesman to work in their home is a tacit endorsement of their views, as far as I’m concerned. I will not have it in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

I'm so long waiting on a plumber and electrician that they can say what they like as long as they get the job done !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Being honest, that's not something I'd want to do. I wouldn't want to get into a conflict with them. Besides, and I don't mean this to sound bad, but it's not my job to try and educate tradespersons or anyone else with regard to their views.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A tradesperson with high moral standards should always enquire about the views of everyone in the premises where they are called to a job. No point in being half way through the job, and having them come out with some nasty remarks. The same for moral taxi drivers, make sure the fare is of good character first, and not be assailed by some racist rant two miles up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Don’t think I have ever been in a taxi where the driver didn’t ask me if I was an upstanding member of the community, with no vices, and god fearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Sweet Talkin Romeo

not a one of yis would 'throw a racist tradesperson' out of yer house, if they made such a qualifying comment, as soon as/or directly after they made it.. 😏

all valves turned off, half the pipes loosened or gone off the boiler; in comes 'woke resident' : "would ya like a cup of tea mr tradesman?"

"Jayzis I would; was working earlier on this morning for a few hours for a bunch of ##### , and the smelly lazy feckers wouldn't even offer me a glass of water!"

woke householder: "do ya take milk and sugar?" 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I think a lot of people who just listen to media and talk to people in offices have a very blinkered view of the world. Constant bullsh*t and tiptoeing around to make sure you don't hurt anyone's feelings. Because more people are now in these environments I guess it does become more of a reality, but I can't stand these people regurgitating in private the opinions accepted in public domains. Those people will never be trusted. You can't get anywhere without a little bit of dirt on you because you won't be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

I see my neighbour, a plumber, drink driving in his business van every Friday afternoon after work. Sits at the bar, drinks a few pints, then drives a km home through a busy neighborhood. Makes me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In the process of scoping / evaluating and quoting for the job.. probably … because that would be a lack of professionalism and I’d be wondering then what other elements of being a ‘professional’ might they scrimp on..

if at the end of day three of a five day job and something was said… I’d probably just ignore it.

sack them,

? pay them for three days work and start having to spend ages looking for a replacement ? Get added to a persons waiting list and there’s you having to tip toe around a half built kitchen say ? Nonsensical.

racists exist. So do people who embody several other forms of discriminatory ideals….. that’s life. I’m not going to inconvenience myself over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,418 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Have you considered reporting him to Gardai, before he kills somebody?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

My plumber is arrogant and pig ignorant and if I made reference to today being Saturday, he would argue I was wrong ( I rang him yesterday to remind me to send me a bill for work he carried out two months ago and he spent five ministers berating me for apparently suggesting he failed to email me the bill , we finished off on him resending it but as usual I had to endure his surliness)

however he always comes over when I want him , is priced relatively modestly and the reality is you couldn’t bribe most tradesmen to do anything at the moment, that’s how much work they have

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

To be honest its not as if only blue collar/trades/working classes speak like this. My brother in law is an insurance broker & his wife a doctor. They wouldn't be out of place in Germany in the 1930's. Your local plumber most likely isn't going to be voting for Justin Barrets mob anytime soon so i wouldn't be fretting over it. If he does quality work at a good price be sure to send me his number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

This was in UAE (where racism is unfortunately much more casual and 'accepted' )

My boss called me in to compliment me that I was doing so well and one of the other bosses had asked me to exclusively come with him to another developer/company for a presentation and my boss was laughing and rolling his eyes saying 'of course we couldn't ask Dinesh (indian guy) to go *rolls eyes* what would they think

I was so shocked he could be openly racist like that and everyone else would just laugh it off.

Another time, a different guy who worked in a developer company was chatting to me and my friend/colleague and he openly started insulting my friends gf because she was dark skinned/ Indian, saying things like 'mate she's a cute girl but come on , you can do way better than that, look at all the europeans/russians here'

Madness! Imagine talking like that in a work environment in Ireland you'd be fired.

And yes, it’s also because I now see him as a complete moron, incapable of using his brain to know what is and isn’t acceptable- it raises the question of is he also a moron at his job

agreed. and is it a once off remark or will he be ranting all the time doing the job? I know someone who goes around town ranting about Ukrainians. i made it clear i would not stand and listen. i say hello and go. he rants to a friend of mine and anyone who will listen. That is why i would be careful of a rant through job.

Plus someone who is not smart enough to keep his mouth shut regarding linking his business to racism, is he smart enough to forsee issues with the job...

Some so called tradesmen are pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ManyMondays

Ew no he wouldnt get a call back and id give him a bad review.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

There is a local Facebook page and people are struggling to get plumbers even in an emergency. It’s clear pretty much all the trades are in high demand right now. If I am being honest if I had an emergency situation like needing my heating fixed I would probably hire a fella like that.

I think racists exist in all walks of life, but some would be more careful about what they say so you wouldn’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Years ago this carry on went on an awful lot and was tolerated and “accepted.” I’d definitely reconsider hiring someone of this character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

whats that got to do with this thread....take it to the legal discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

Years ago the likes of Qatar was tolerated and "accepted". Thankfully, the likes of me and you would never have anything to do with such a vicious racist totalitarian shower nowadays, right??

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Not getting you. Not being happy with a stranger in your home passing racist remarks to you vs. Qatar?

• Advertisement

Are you watching and supporting the propaganda show from Qatar?

I watch WC soccer on tv, yes..

I do not think this remotely comparable to a stranger meeting me in my home and passing racist remarks to me.

your point/comparison/equating here, whatever it is, is beyond stupid. Stop trolling!

The comparison is totally relevant, and I ain't trolling. You are watching, giving money and supporting a despicable racist regime by watching that mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Would all of the righteous here send away a plumber if their boiler broke in this weather?

What if your pipes burst and you have water leaking through your ceiling?

He could insult me the whole time he was here as long as he sorted it.

That’s not the OPs question, really. Racist/bigoted/xenophobic stranger in your company/house.

I wouldn’t at all be comfortable with that. I’d be offended. I’d try look/hire someone not clearly racist/bigoted/xenophobic.

If it was an an absolute emergency is not really the point of the OPs question .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Endorsing a racist vs entering into a business arrangement with one are not the same thing...

i worked with someone who had at best, questionable views on race or could have been a racist..

i wasn’t by working with him endorsing any of his views…

DEFINITION: Endorsing - declare one's public approval or support of

hiring a person who is racist, endorses fück all regarding their personal, political or social outlook.

that rationale suggests that if I hire a person who thinks Kajagoogoo were the best band ever, I’m also endorsing that opinion, plus any others they have.. be mad to believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I take the whole racism thing with a pinch of salt, people may use insulting terms but they just use it as a tool to annoy the person. They aren't really against the person's race. True racism is rare in the modern west.

Non whites are often racist but get away with it. Those British Asian families, if their daughters took home a white boyfriend their father's would be disgusted.

Post edited by BaywatchHQ on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'd to get an electrician last night because my burner kept tripping the trip switches, so no heating in the house. I wouldn't have given a flying fcuk if he came in full Nazi or KKK garb, spouted on about 'dem foriners' or brought Alex Jones along with him to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

I would ask him does he still want to quote even though I will smash his **** teeth in next time he says racist **** like that to me. Or maybe I wlll just tell him to go **** himself.

Advertisement