Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Fire - 3Arena 31 August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Feist has quit the tour. Statement delivered in a lengthy post on Instagram.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

feist pulled out of the rest of the tour

• Registered Users Posts: 43,834 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, just read about Feist.

Not hugely surprised.. think it was inevitable!

Flying to Manchester tomorrow gig on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Phishwax

Very surprised the whole tour is going ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 43,834 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The costs incurred would be substantial - especially cancelling a tour over a Pitchfork article and a support act pulling out. Insurance wouldn't hear of it.

Then you have the fact that the majority of people are still unaware and they're largely getting excellent reviews from the first few nights.

It's money over pride at the minute being honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Vinle

Why should the whole band and everyone involved suffer because of the creepy actions of one? And Feist was left with no choice, the mob were coming for her too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭fluke

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I was a huge fan of Butler's until about last week. The rumors I'd heard the months before were that he was cheating, not that he was sniffing around young ones whether they liked it or not, which is a very different proposition.

I've already mentioned it wasn't really up to me if we went last night, and I'm not going into more detail. Makes no difference, he won't get another penny from me that he doesn't have already. He won't go poor for the sake of it I'm sure, but shur there we are.

It speaks volumes though that you have to keep shuffling around the goalposts or rewriting what I've said to argue with it, even though *you* have been wrong about key details. You have been the one trying to write fanfiction about these girls to make them the villains of the piece, or pretend the Pitchfork article is a frivolous hit piece or says something other than it does.

And lads, arguing "Ah, 18 isn't really a teenager, shur it's legal!" is telling on yourself sooner than it's a defence of Butler. It is not normal or self evident for a grown man to want to **** Leaving Cert aged girls so much he sends them unsolicited images of his mickey.

Re: Feist, it was fairly clear how uncomfortable with it all she was last night on stage, even if the crowd were sympathetic to her. There was some speculation how long she'd last, she put on a good performance but very obviously wished she wasn't there.

I've said multiple times it's creepy and I even said most people would hate if it was their daughter who was involved with a man in his 30s. But what you're failing to grasp is that something being creepy and odd is not the same as illegal, you can argue about it all you want

You were happy to turn a blind eye to his cheating and still considered yourself a fan even when you heard that? Why do you have no sympathy for the real victim in this, his wife?

@fluke the band is not just him, leaving aside any semantics about how he is the front man. There is a whole other band, crew, everyone behind the scenes, they shouldn't have to lose out. Furthermore, everyone has agency and they can choose to go to the gig or not. Many did go despite knowing this and many of them reported that they had a good time. Those who didn't want to go didn't. As it should be. There's no reason why the tour should be cancelled

• Advertisement

I don’t see a good way out of it for him now, maybe if he makes a dramatic u turn and cancels the tour and begins to reflect on the impact of his behaviour and atone for it.

I think feist did the right thing in abandoning it. She was good Tuesday night but obviously uncomfortable.

He was at this crack in 2020. Sure he was as good as 40 then. What about all the women that didn’t come forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Impressive from Feist!

In a **** industry where she could have made plenty of excuses, like the fans did, she actually stood up and bowed out. Not often you see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

There ye go, having to make up stuff I didn't say so as to argue with it, because you can't dispute what I actually said.

I never said it was the same as illegal. You, and others, are the ones who keep trying to make "legal" the bar for "okay". Lots of horrible things are legal. As grown adults, we have to make assessments of people and behaviour based on legal-but-**** things all the time.

Cheating's shite and I'd have lost a lot of respect for him, sure, but it is a domestic issue that is an absolute order of magnitude away from what it turns out he has been doing. That should not need to be explained, and makes me think you don't understand what was actually wrong with what he did.

I see you're also having to make up more stuff about how I do or don't regard Régine, which is just an embarrassing flail into thin air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I have sympathy for his wife , thats why I think he should step down and let his wife and band carry on with the tour.

Fesit is getting loads of support from blue checkmarks including Jenny Lewis. Radio stations across Canada and US are pulling their music. Its highly likely the tour gets canned anyway so Butler , if he had the integrity , would step down.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Phishwax

I wonder is is why Will left earlier this year. Could he have known this was coming down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I was there the first night & loved it. But thought the sound wasn’t great. Just a little bit too loud & distorted at times. Or certain instruments were overpowering others. I was in block B.

Atmosphere was electric, especially downstairs. Just a few chords into Wake Up & the place went wild. The perfect start. It was amazing to watch.

From that moment it was obvious that most people were unaware or didn’t care about Win’s inappropriate actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Anyone else find the timing of the Pitchfork article suspicious? How long were they aware of the allegations? Were they sitting on it for a while & then published it right before the tour started for maximum impact?

@jill_valentine hilarious to be accused of being 'unable to dispute' what you said and 'making stuff up' when you have been unable to engage on any points made and have used smear tactics ("you're telling on yourself") and lies and embellishment. Show me once where I or Howard Beale said what he did was "okay". We didn't. You're pretending to be a moral saint here but still went to the concert. Please. If it was such a meaningful issue to you, you know you could have simply not gone

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

Was there on the second night, place was maybe 60% full. Thought the band were great.

Genuinely can't understand people having a breakdown over these allegations. I don't care what these people do in their private lives, they are human. Just like if I seen them walking down the road, I wouldn't feel the need to approach them to get photos. I like Arcade fire for their music, end of. This whole woke generation are a pain in the arse, you must conform and accept everything because if you don't, you are a target. I genuinely don't give a flying Fu@k about these stories.

This new generation of social justice warriors aren't for me. Let them cry into their pillows. People saying they won't listen to their music again? When i listen to music, I'm not thinking if the lead singer is having an affair with a legal consenting adult, because it doesn't matter.

• Advertisement

Agreed. People can choose to not go, as is their right, but expecting the tour to be cancelled for everyone is ridiculous

Music fans as a whole need to stop putting musicians on a pedestal, they need to stop acting like musicians are their friends and that they are entitled to access their personal lives. The amount of people taking this personally is frankly ridiculous

Yes but the four victims say that consent was the issue. He was sending dic picks, showed up at a house when they said no, he used the exact same lines on all of them, he was hiding one of the girls jackets behind his dj booth etc.

Like if it was mildly sleazy behaviour then maybe your argument would stand up but it wasn’t mild.

He was definitely a bit on the creep side, that's it though. He's not doing time for any of this, this isn't on the Michael Jackson or Paul Gadd level of criminality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Yet another person on here downplaying alleged sexual assault. One of the victims alleges that they were assaulted on two separate occasions by win.

cyberflashing which he is accused of ( it is a crime in this country since 2020) is more than “a bit on the creep side”.

showing up at a person house after being told not is harassment.

downplaying all these as “a bit on creepy side, that’s it though” is insulting.

Also the whataboutery and deflection in this thread is depressing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yes allegations should be taken seriously, but let's also remember the Conor Oberst stuff in the not too distant past that had everyone baying for his blood, saw him dropped from label, cancel shows and it was all bollox.

Without a doubt he was a creep. Why did the women (again, between the ages of 18-23 so with the full agency of adults) continue to meet him for dinner and the like? Why not block on Instagram/ what's app whatever. One claimed they wanted to be friends with him but that's just naive in the extreme. Jill Valentine claimed some of us are trying to paint the women as villains of the piece. No. The women were naive and put a rockstar on a pedestal and loved the idea of hanging out with a rockstar. I wish them well and their stories will hopefully show others not to be so naive. We should be teaching personal responsibility, not pushing a constant culture of victimhood. And again, our ownership of musicians begins and ends with our enjoyment of their music. They are people, not gods. They are strangers to us

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

2nd night was always going to have fewer. It didn't sell nearly as well and Kurt vile was on elsewhere

All accusations. I could claim a similar story without a iota of proof.

If he has done anything, they should go to the police. let them charge him, let them see the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Fanirish

He confirmed the substance of all those instances occurred, just that in his opinion they were consensual.

• Advertisement

Advertisement