Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Fire - 3Arena 31 August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭ooter

heard a few people say before/after the gig it was supposed to be Bono.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Personally I consider much of that album a bit overwrought, including Intervention, although it would still be good to hear it live again.

First time I saw them live was in that **** tent in Phoenix Park for the Neon Bible tour, when the Point was being rebuilt. I agree with you that since then they don’t seem to play much from that album

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Howard Beale

Overwrought? Arcade Fire were always artsy and elaborate that's one of the albums main strengths. It wasn't a mainstream kinda album it was dark and bizarre but I don't think they will ever better it in my opinion.

It was a over looked album I think.

Who was the guest last night? Was there any?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I doubt anyone who paid €90 for a ticket didn't go. That's guff spoken online to seem virtuous to extremely naive people. Doubt anyone wasted €90 tickets especially when it's one of the best live acts on the planet.

I know of plenty of people who didn't go and ate both ticket prices and hotel costs for it.

I had tickets for both nights. Didn't go Tuesday, but my tickets for last night were a gift for someone, so there was some back and forth about it. Ultimately the council decided we'd go ahead and use them.

I've seen them maybe thirty times and that's the most subdued AF show I've ever seen. 3Arena had to drape off most of the seating because it was empty, and the floor was a bit more than 2/3s full. The group in front of and behind me were both there on free tickets.

I don't think the band ever once interacted with one another and there seemed to be a clear decision made to put the focus on Regine as much as possible, which helped because she got a much more enthusiastic response. They finally worked up to something like their usual energy in the second half, but somehow managed to lose most of it during the encore, and I saw people on the balcony finding their seats to sit back down.

I think if you've never seen them before, you probably didn't notice anything off, but there was, and I wasn't the only one who remarked on it. It wasn't just the half full arena either, I've seen them with worse crowds than that. It was a good show for a regular band, but the weakest Arcade Fire gig I've ever been to.

Weird note AF to go out on for me, but that's what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭emo72

Bono didn't show. He probably welched. Thought they were great. Loved the show. The bar is really really high for these guys, and if this was an "off" performance, wow!

Loved the dj set with those tropical beats. I'd listen to that all night. Regine was probably brushing up on her stage craft. Some nice moves, probably being studying Kate Bush moves. Loved it.

Remember when the press was all over bill Wyman going out with a 13 year old Mandy Smith? Seems to be a rock star trait all right. It was a long time ago, so don't quote me on that! Have a nice day everyone.

• Advertisement

The group in front of and behind me were both there on free tickets? How could you possibly know unless you spent your evening asking people how much they spent on their tickets. Which is very bizarre, right barrel of laughs you must be. Who goes to a concert to ask people what they spent on their tickets?? Like seriously.

I have seen them several times before yes in London and supporting Pixies, In 3arena before etc etc.

Maybe if something was off it could have been yourself? You spent more time asking people how much they paid for tickets than actually pay attention to the show.

And you must not have much strength in your convictions. For all your ire toward Win you still went to the show, it's not a moral victory over him that you didn't enjoy it either.

If people didn't go so be it. They missed out on an amazing concert. Well Tuesdays one at least anyway!

I didn't speak to either group. They spoke to each other about being nervous at the door about whether the tickets would work, which got a few bystanders involved. Sorry to burst your fanfiction.

Were they better than a Bloc Party or Strokes show would have been? Yeah probably. Were they even in orbit of a regular Arcade Fire show? Not remotely.

I'm sure lots or most of the people there went home happy, but it was notable how few of them even picked up on the error? glitch? during what's meant to be My Body Is A Cage's BIG moment, or seemed unfamiliar with songs older than Reflektor. Even on the last tour, the audience would have gone out of their minds to have the band parading through them to the middle stage as regularly as that, last night it felt more like a technical shuffle between tracks.

In a way I'm glad I went in the end because it was off enough I won't feel like I'm missing anything from now on, between missed cues, messy audio mix, absent stage chemistry, Win's constant weird blathering, the weird encore dip and none of the spark between band and crowd I'd usually take for granted - and no wonder when half the band were practically invisible. Richard Reed Parry might as well have been appearing by satellite.

They'll be fine as a regular touring band playing like that and to crowds like that, that's not what I'm saying, but the idea that was "business as usual", for Arcade Fire, is just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

We loved the DJ set too. Would love to find that music to listen to again, any ideas?

'In a way I'm glad I went in the end because it was off enough I won't feel like I'm missing anything from now on, between missed cues, messy audio mix, absent stage chemistry, Win's constant weird blathering, the weird encore dip and none of the spark between band and crowd I'd usually take for granted - and no wonder when half the band were practically invisible. Richard Reed Parry might as well have been appearing by satellite'

From this it's painfully obvious you have a ire and disdain for Win after the story but you are taking that ire out on the band as a whole. NO one has described the concert in such a depressing and ghastly way. You make it sound like they were terrible. Richard is always animated and energetic on stage what he hid in a dark corner last night was it? I don't know how Win was constantly blathering to the crowd either others here said he didn't open his mouth to the crowd. Which is it??

It's pretty clear to me you're upset people don't think it's normal for forty year olds to show up at teenagers houses, so I don't really mind what you choose to believe to be honest, it's demonstrably pretty selective. You're not even representing what I said honestly, and sure that’s there in black and white for anyone to read.

Arcade Fire's weakest show is still a better show than most bands manage on a good day, but the light show was doing a lot of heavy lifting for them last night. Richard, who as you note is usually very energetic and animated, was just about part of the scenery for a number of reasons, I think.

Dunno who said Win never opened his mouth. He was talking more than I've ever heard him speak onstage before, even if you couldn't make out much of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

'it's demonstrably pretty selective. You're not even representing what I said honestly, and sure that’s there in black and white for anyone to read'

Wow the irony of the above is incredible. First the foremost the article is VERY VERY clear Win was in his thirties and the women were all over 18.

Seriously what the hell are you on about forties and teenagers? Are you just making up your own stories now is it????

Even then I never said it's normal you are upset I'm pointing out how you are dumping on the whole band over Win's indiscretions.

Please show me where I said that it's normal for forty year olds to turn up at teenagers houses, I didn't. Even if I did it has nothing to do with the Pitchfork story on Win as you are changing the ages to suit your narrative or as others call it, LYING!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

I'd got free tickets for a friend as I couldn't make it. Both of us have seen Arcade Fire on numerous occasions, so know how good their usual shows are. I messaged him after the gig and his review was 'absolutely f*cking phenomenal'....strange to hear a few saying it wasn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Phishwax

From my reading his statement he just comes across as a massive creep. Band haven’t put out a good record in 10+ years. Statement made me think of Ryan’s Adam’s one. Creepy guys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Was at last night. I thought it was excellent. I've only seen them once before - in the Phoenix Park. Last night was way better than that. The sound, atmosphere, visuals etc. Great show. Must get into them more. Never really listened to anything after Neon Bible.

That's the general consensus that it was great. Only one person here saying it was bad but they are putting their ire and condemnation against Win against the whole band. To the point now where they are blatantly and clearly lying about the story that broke about him, they were apparently teens and he was in his forties, which is nonsense and lies!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭saffron22

I was at the show last night. Putting aside what Win Butler may or may not have done ( not for me to judge in my opinion ). I thought they were absolutely fantastic. Sure it took them a couple of songs to get going but the sound at the opening songs was absolutely terrible (even for the 3 arena which is known for terrible sound in the standing area). He also didn't appear to be shying away at all. Standing on the keys right from the get go. Once they got going it was fantastic and they finished on wakeup with the crowd singing along to the 3 of them as they left the stage. Yes there was a smaller crowd than expected but almost everyone in the area around me was dancing at the end of the show and having the time of their lives. Music is music and what the artist does in their personal life is a separate issue. Did i like the show (yes) would i see them again (yes) I will also go see Ryan Adams again. Is he a creep (highly likely). Am i a fan of Ryan Adams are Win Butler or Jimmy Page... countless others both male and female in the music world who are of questionable character?. No (i don't know them). Does that mean i'll never listen to them again. No! i love the music they make (the only part of these people i have any connection with is the art they produce) and for that i'm very thankful

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Vinle

To the people who think Win should have addressed this on stage, why do you think you are entitled to an explanation on the personal lives of strangers? Arcade Fire are musicians, they owe you nothing, they are strangers to you. The only ownership you have over them is your own enjoyment of their music. That's it

We need to stop with the cult of celebrities, stop putting them on pedestals and worshipping them. Was Win a creep? Undoubtedly, and he cheated on his wife during a very tough time. The women (adult women, not girls) involved here did not tell their stories in vain, I hope it will help others realise not to be so naive and not put musicians on pedestals. If a multi millionaire married man is suddenly interested, it's highly unlikely he is just looking for friendship. Call that victim blaming if you like but we should be teaching personal responsibility. We don't live in an ideal world where creeps don't exist and won't try to take advantage

As for Regine, I haven't seen any sympathy for her and how painful it must be for her to relive a tough time (miscarriage and infidelity) in the public eye. People were complaining that her statement was unsatisfactory with no regard to how painful it must be for her. And wanting the band to address this when she's at work, i.e trying to perform which is the job she's paid to do? Imagine if you were told you had to discuss a miscarriage publicly at work

I don't think this is the first time you've falsely accused other people of ignorance or lying about the story, and tbh I'm at a loss as to why you won't make sure you have it straight if you're this dead set on trying to defend it.

Not only was at least one of them 18, Butler himself says he knew she was only 18, because he googled her age. And he clearly thinks this is a defence.

If the girl is so young you're having to google her before proceeding to send her pictures of your genitals, she's too fuckin young and you know it.

My mistake he was still "only" in his late 30s at the time he was doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

The atmosphere was flat in my opinion , maybe it was in my head!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭fluke

Looking at some of the comments here lately and have to say...I don't think anyone commenting here condemning his actions, ultimately see themselves as judge, jury etc. The whole thing is very fresh - this news broke last weekend with the Dublin gigs only a couple of nights later. People are only processing how they feel. This is what the forum is about - a place to express feelings.

Sure this kinda sh1t no doubt happened with Led Zep and the like, and if this surfaced about members of, I dunno... Oasis, or maybe Limp Bizkit, nobody would be that surprised. Like it or not Arcade Fire portray a very wholesome family image, and these allegations are totally at odds with what the music (at least the earlier stuff) represents.

That's an interesting point about the wholesome family image and how someone like Oasis portray the opposite. It really shows how much we project onto musicians and we have no idea what their real persona is and how much of it is a stage act or playing it up. Hence my point about the cult of celebrities and how we (as a whole) put celebrities on a pedestal

• Registered Users Posts: 15 grey99

I was at both nights and I thought there was a stark difference in the energy of the crowd on night one and two. Night one had a full arena and people were up dancing in the seated area and standing seemed more hyped, a lot of cheering. Second night had seating area curtained off and the energy overall seemed a bit flat. Nobody was up dancing in the seating, not a lot of cheering, only towards the end of the show the audience seemed to be getting into it. The show itself both nights was incredible. I thought the band seemed more relaxed on the second night, Win seemed nervous on the first night for the first half anyway. You can tell they love playing in Dublin. I preferred the setlist on the second night, glad I went to the two shows because I heard more songs. I’m a massive fan of this band so the news about Win is very disappointing, still working through how I feel about them but ultimately can’t take away that the music this band makes is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Suburbs is a great album and Reflektor/Everything Now both have highs and lows. Have struggled to get into WE, will give it a few more listens before passing too much judgement.

Funeral is still my favourite album though...had just met my now wife and she introduced me to it, so I always associate a really happy time of my life with it!

But you are blatantly lying about the story, he wasn't in his forties and they weren't teens. 18 is not really a teenager as you say it's a young adult. Very clearly wasn't a mistake either you are embellishing and lying to lend credibility to your argument but you haven't the gumption or foresight to realize the second you start incessantly lying like you are all credibility goes straight out the window. You have zero credibility when your points are all based on lies and embellishments! Zero.

You can't prove I defended Win's actions I can 100% prove you are lying about the facts of the story.

By the way others really enjoyed it describing last nights gig as phenomenal so couldn't have been that bad!

There has been a lot of misrepresentation of the story, I've seen multiple tweets saying he went after underage girls, is a sex predator etc etc. Anyone who even dares to point out the girls weren't underage (per the story) is smeared as a paedophile apologist or paedophile. It's important to stick to the facts. He was a creep, yes, and a two timing creep at that but it's not illegal to be a two timing creep. I'm sure many of us would not be happy if that was our daughter. But if an 18 year old has agency and can consent to other decisions such as drink, tattoos, even a gender change aged 18 (and sometimes even younger than that) why do we assume they have no agency when hanging out with a very married multi millionaire?

And you're right about the teenager thing @Howard Beale , it's a very deliberate attempt to automatically put to mind a younger teenager as opposed to a young adult

True pal, Jill Valentine is very clearly embellishing and lying about the official story to make it worse than it is.

Odd that someone who despises Win Butler so much will give him money by attending his concert!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭emo72

Yep. Decent tunes. Not something I've ever listened to before, but I thought it was great.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I never heard them before but thought they were interesting as well. I shazamed a few of them while at the concert.

Badaouiah by Hany Mehanna

Chambacú by Aurita Castillo Y Su Conjunto

Cuerpo Sin Alma by Las Colombianitas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭argentum

Decent music before the support act came on.. must look up the music listed above .

Was there the first night... my first time seeing them...very much enjoyed it and dreams at the very end was very special

Advertisement