Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Fire - 3Arena 31 August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Bulters singing voice sucks anyway. He can be replaced but his band members haven't the integrity to boot him.

For all intents and purposes, its his band. The name comes from a story he heard as a kid, and he was playing under it with different people before meeting any of the current lineup, Régine included. He and Régine have control of everything from the name, to half of the signature instruments they use, because Butler's grandfather helped invent a lot of the first electricified instruments and played in a few jazz big bands, so a lot of their weird guitars and such are essentially his museum pieces.

When the rest of the band want to be in a band that Win and Régine don't lead, they have projects of their own like Bell Orchestre, tour solo, as Sarah Neufeld has, or chip in as producer/guitarist elsewhere like Richard Reed Parry with The National.

Rumours have been floating around for a few weeks, but the story officially broke about three days ago and likely has road to go yet. We don't know what the consequences are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

He can't be replaced, he's the main song writer. At this point, Arcade Fire is basically Win and Regine with an assortment of session/touring musicians (some of whom have been around longer than others). I don't disagree about the double standards btw, I don't think this tour should be happening at all and it's likely their last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I don't think this tour should be happening at all and it's likely their last one

It's minor in the scheme of things, but I can't help being a bit frustrated at Pitchfork's timing. The tickets were by no means cheap and the shows being midweek put a lot of people out of pocket in the first place. If this had broken a week earlier, folks would have had a lot more time to decide if they wanted to make rearrangements.

• Advertisement

It's not nonsense. He founded the band. He and Régine literally own the masters and copyrights. Everyone who was in the original Arcade Fire lineup, except him, is gone, including his brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭D_D

Is Feist also the support act for the Wednesday 31st August gig?

Yes, and for all the Euro dates I believe, unless something changes.

I meant nonsense to the liklihood of this being their last tour.

But what you're saying is also pretty much nonsense.

The very original membership of Arcade Fire never recorded anything.

Of the 'classic' lineup of Arcade Fire, who wrote, recorded and had great success with 'Funeral' in 2004 and every album since, only Will Butler has departed the band. Violinist Sarah Neufeld has flip flopped from band member to touring musician as her own other projects varied, but she has never missed an Arcade Fire album or Tour since 2003.

Of the core membership of who made 'Funeral', seven were on stage in Dublin tonight.

The very original membership of Arcade Fire never recorded anything.

Josh Deu, the original other 50% of Arcade Fire, is all over their first EP, as is Brendan Reed, who actually quit the band onstage during an argument with Win, and for a while went by the name NoCarsGo. The same argument also cost them Marika Anthony-Shaw, who was playing with them at the time.

(Shaw was back involved for Neon Bible, and has been on several albums and at least one tour cycle since. Dane Mills has also popped in and out from the get go, but never too visibly)

The chap standing between Régine and Sarah here, and in a lot of the other Funeral press shots, is Howard Bilerman. He was very much considered "core" band during Funeral and for the early touring of it.

Will Butler isn't pictured because he had left to finish school; Jeremy Gara hadn't joined yet, and didn't take over as the band's third drummer until Howard's departure.

Pietro Amato is on three albums and toured for one, though he was never really considered as important and permanent a fixture as, for example, Owen Pallett was right up until Neon Bible, who was shuffled into "friend of the band" status after being involved enough to veto tracks for the two records previous.

And so on, but that's all nerd trivia really. At the end of the day, the point is, if everyone else in the band left apart from Win & Régine, that band would still be Arcade Fire. If Tim, Jeremy, Sarah and Richard formed a band, it would not.

Post edited by jill_valentine on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Great gig. Win fell off the piano on the second last song, also great.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I never saw Arcade Fire before the current controversy so I'm not really sure how it affected the dynamics. They seemed to give it welly though. Wake Up at the start was fantastic. The 3 Arena seemed quite full tonight. Feist was wonderful as well.

Post edited by Nigel Fairservice on

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Howard Beale

Really amazing gig these lads are amazing live, really entertaining put on a real spectacle. The wake up opener was really left field, to open with your usual encore! Played for 2 full hours as well rather than many artists who phone it in and play for the hour and then ramble off. I honestly think they would have been the perfect headliner for electric picnic but EP know they can book literally anyone at all and it will sell out so they don't bother with proper headliners anymore neither does Slane by the Way. Harry Styles is headlining that FFS. A bang average singer from a boyband. Still it will sell out so why bother with proper acts when any old crap will sell out?

As regards the allegations erm no one knows what went on, it was all consensual and it's fine with his wife. his WIFE. if his wife is fine with it why aren't others? What they have a closer relationship to the man than his wife is it?? People really need to cop themselves on you would swear those judging him were virtuous little virgin angels that butter wouldn't melt. Even seen people here saying they wanted money back for the gig LOL. How did that go?? In fact I bet anything these same people were at the gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Phishwax

Showing your age with this one Howard... terrible take on nearly everything

Got me, I'm 117 but the aloe vera cream does wonders so I only look 114 or 115.

See what I did there? Think about it you will figure it out!

Care to address anything I actually typed? No?

Usual brainless ad hominem nonsense then. Fair enough!

I daresay you're showing your age by not realising yet that folk are free to have an opinion. You will.

Besides, he's right. The amount of virtue signalling that has gone on around this is puke inducing.

Butler, it would seem on the face of it, behaved in a scummy fashion, disrespectful to those women, his wife, his child, his band and his fans. But criminal? No.

No one who ever cheated on someone, or condoned it, or overlooked it from someone like Bowie, or Lennon has any right to judge.

And the calls for protests, refunds and cancellations? Absolutely pathetic carry-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Peckham

I'm due to go tonight. I've been very excited about this gig (have seen AF 3 times previously and love them live), but the shine has been taken off it due to the various allegations and what seems like a pretty weak response. They're just allegations at this point - and it's interesting that the reports I've seen don't mention any potential charges being brought against him - but it feels very wrong to be cheering him onto stage at this point.

And the calls for protests, refunds and cancellations? Absolutely pathetic carry-on. So you agree with me then as I think the same.

How was he disrespectful to the fans? He owes them nothing, he's a musician he makes great music people listen. Thats where the relationship with fans ends. They have zero say in his life or personal affairs.

I know people can have opinions who said they can't????????????? I'm just pointing out those double standard maniacs who want to end the mans career over sleeping with eager groupies aren't purer than driven snow like they let on to strangers online.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

Youd want to calm down a bit in your posting style. Very defensive of his actions. Makes your wonder.

As regards the allegations erm no one knows what went on, it was all consensual and it's fine with his wife.

In at least one instance, the consensuality of it is disputed. And from what I've heard there might be more to come yet.

You can say we don't know what happened, but whether an actual crime was committed or not is irrelevant to me. His statement tells me all I need to know. In among his long list of excuses, one of his attempted defences was that he knew one girl was 18 because he googled her first.

If you're having to check it's not technically statutory, you well know what you're at.

• Advertisement

It wasn't 'technically' statutory or statutory at all in any way shape or form, but nice try to insinuate. Anyone over 18 is a adult.

Have another read of my post there, see how you get on this time.

Makes you wonder?? What the hell is wrong with you??? I haven't defended any of the mans actions I think he's an amazing musician outside of that I don't know of his personal life and neither do you. I wonder about you automatically assuming he's guilty too pal why?

It's also worth noting that men have had their lifes ruined by disgusting false allegations too. Goes both ways and it's up for the courts to decide.

Former snooker player Quinten Hann springs to mind, snooker career totally and completely destroyed when he was flying and in top ten in World rankings by allegations.

Snooker champ 'true victim' in rape trial (theage.com.au)

The reason I seem 'defensive' as you put it is this thread is about the concert yet it is mainly a witchhunt with the likes of yourself out with the pitchfork (no pun intended) really to stab him with it with frothing mouth. Trial by social media. Take the witchhunt elsewhere maybe start a need thread?

let's discuss the concert were you at it?? What were your highlights?? This whole thread is about the concert be nice to talk about the ACTUALT CONCERT!

For mY HIGHLIGHTS it was the opening Wake up and Cranberries cover dreams. Astonishing gig, in my top 5 of all time. Really memorable experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

Jaysis calm down ,i have said absolutely nothing on this thread about his guilt or innocence and ive in no way contributed to a witch hunt. The chap has admitted getting with girls as one poster said just old enough to see a horror film , and has blamed a miscarriage on that. Opinions on someone doesnt have to be about whether something is legal or not. So im not assuming guilt or not, whether it was consensual , it very well coulda been , that doesnt make him not a creep for me. We are all allowed have opinions , the band always seemed squeaky clean before this so understandably its a big story. As for another thread being started maybe you are right , but it makes sense it has been brought up in this one due to the recent nature of the allegations. I couldnt go due to personal circumstances but im glad you enjoyed it. Ive never been particularly into musicians characters anyway so im sure I would have listened along happily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭fluke

Popped into the thread...whew a bit full on here today!

I went to the gig, enjoyed it, I'd be lying if I said the very fresh allegations weren't on my mind throughout. However, the band in general kept on keeping on through the set (no banter - wise), and I reckon at least 2/3's of the way through they relaxed into things and even seemed to enjoy it themselves. Good gig, and probably internally, a make or break moment for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Sheog

Look, it is clear that Win’s behaviour was deplorable and there is no excusing it, but he isn’t the only person in the band.

I went last night and I had a great time. They gave it socks. The show was top notch from start to finish. The Point certainly seemed to be packed to the rafters and the atmosphere was electric. I chose to go nuts anytime Régine was to the forefront and to not cheer for Win and I wasn’t the only one. At one stage he was standing on a piano in the middle of the arena trying to get a reaction from the seated crowd and no one had their hands up.

Im a massive Arcade Fire fan and have been for years. I am so so gutted and disappointed with Win’s behaviour, but I still enjoyed the gig. My view is that there is far more to the band, their music and their shows than just Win Butler.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭swarmberg

Can you recall what time they were on stage? Heading along tonight.

You missed out on a really really great gig. They blew their load it seems they won't top that tonight.

It's the tone of the witchhunt is so intense. You have braindead morons saying they only played their big songs for good 'PR' erm a band known for their anthems is going to come out and ignore them all is it? Play nothing but B sides??

This is a tweet from thejournal's deputy editor Christine Bohan verbatim (to be honest I'm amazed it's not littered with spelling mistakes like most journal crap is)

'Arcade Fire open the first gig of their world tour in Dublin with Wake Up, which is some PR move - crowd immediately seems to be on their side'

Unbelievable bias and assumption of guilt. Crowd on their side?? Why wouldn't a crowd like a band they travel and pay circa €90 to see????

Deputy editor of a news outlet (albeit a dumbed down vacuous rag) who cares not one single jot for due process and actual journalism. Incredible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭fluke

Advertisement