Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Fire - 3Arena 31 August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭flasher0030

That sounds a bit over the top. I’m pretty confident that if every member of a famous music group (in particular the lead singer) were to take a lie detector test to identify if they have had a quickie on the side with a groupie, I’d say the machine would explode. Way too many temptations over time to keep saying no. If it were a minor, then definitely string him up. But it seems these ladies were all 18 and over. He did nothing wrong legally wise. He took the chance to have a fling outside of marriage. He’s caught now and it is out in the open and his wife and son know. Up to the wife if she gives him a second chance. Nothing to do with me anyway. I hope to head along tomorrow night if I get a cheap ticket, and will look forward to it.

I read alright that there is an allegation that he did something untoward with another person, who is described as gender-fluid!!! Which I understand is someone that doesn’t know if they are a man or a woman!!!  I’ll be taking that with a pinch of salt…..

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Sheog

I’m still definitely going tonight. Their last gig the the point was an epic gig. Really enjoyed it. I think it might make for a strange atmosphere alright though.

can’t wait to see Feist as she hasn’t played in Ireland in a long time. Any sight of the stage times yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭fluke

I get what you're saying and the lie detector thing, is probably true to some degree.

If this were some hard rock band, I would just go and headbang, but Arcade Fire have this virtuous aura. Anyhow hopefully the songs will carry the night through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭boccy23

Agree re not being naïve, thing for me is that I think it will be a very strange atmosphere and have to decide do I want to be a part of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

Twitter indication there may be some form of protest by unhappy fans tonight.

I don’t believe they should cancel the tour, recent allegations don’t affect all opinions - plenty of people still want to see them. I get that, they’re phenomenal live.

I just cant muster any enthusiasm, especially after reading his & his wife’s statements on Pitchfork. I feel a refund should be an option for people like me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Make sure you request your refund from TM in writing NOW, before the gig, to strengthen your position in any claim you make afterwards. You could try a 'not fit for purpose' claim through the Small Claims Court afterwards. It might be a stretch, and you might be making legal precedents, but if you feel strongly, it's worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

Thanks, I requested a refund via TM yday & was given a standard fob off. The promoter not interested either.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Any word of stage times?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Part of me is kind of interested to go see if things kick off. But overall I’m not too keen to spend my evening in a tense or sullen atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

This is it. The big appeal of an Arcade Fire show is how it feels. It's gonna feel weird for people tonight, I have to think, and I really don't think they'll ever get the magic back, for me at least.

I was already wondering how odd it was going to be to see them without Will for the first time, when he's such a huge feature of their live performances. I have to wonder now if the reason he left when he did was over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,854 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No, it really isn't. They will tell you to PFO.

Jesus wept lads, we're talking about musicians, huge performers and entertainers who have had to put up with the good and the bad of the spotlight of fame as well as the every day pressures and challenges of life that we all have.

Could you imagine the reaction if you were a fan back in the day and you said, 'oh no, I don't think I want to go and see them now because of all the talk of extra-maritals' in relation to Abba or Fleetwood Mac or Blondie or No Doubt? You'd be looked at like you were mental.

Just go and enjoy the great music from one of the best live bands of today and leave your judgement in ignorance at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

one song in and nobody will care is how I imagine the atmosphere will be

Could you imagine the reaction if you were a fan back in the day and you said, 'oh no, I don't think I want to go and see them now because of all the talk of extra-maritals' in relation to Abba or Fleetwood Mac or Blondie or No Doubt? You'd be looked at like you were mental.

Hasn't been 1978 for ages, I'm afraid. It's no longer kosher for married middle aged dads to send dick pics to girls who only just qualified to buy all their own cinema tickets and might as well be doing the Leaving Cert.

Things change.

It might well be in the interests of the promoters to NOT have a precedent set in the Small Claims Court, so there's a good chance they'll issue a refund rather than letting a case go to court.

But my heart bleeds for the tough times these super-wealthy performers had to endure, maybe we should send them a 'get well soon' card from all at Boards just in case?

They do certainly, but or course we only have Pitchfork's version of the story, a site with a history of a bizarrely hostile attitude towards Arcade Fire.

Suppose we wait and see if there are any actual charges that come out of this and stop acting like judge, jury and executioner, with no knowledge or evidence.

If you have a ticket for the show you're not using, I'll happily take it off your hands for free, but only if its for tomorrow night, I'm not free this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Anybody have the stage times, can't find it anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 15 grey99

I'm still going but feeling a bit funny about it. On one hand I'm looking forward to the music, but I think the atmosphere might be weird. I wonder if there will be any booing or heckling. Feel like people might judge me for liking this band now

They do certainly, but or course we only have Pitchfork's version of the story, a site with a history of a bizarrely hostile attitude towards Arcade Fire.

It is not much of an exaggeration to say Pitchfork and Arcade Fire made each other, and it is absurd to suggest Pitchfork went to print with a story like this, about one of the biggest touring bands in North America, out of some kind of spite, or without working to make sure they were on solid footing.

Suppose we wait and see if there are any actual charges that come out of this and stop acting like judge, jury and executioner, with no knowledge or evidence.

The law does not decide what I think is right or wrong, it decides what meets the necessarily high standard for state action.

I don't care if it's a crime for a forty year old with a kid to try to solicit sex from a teenager and then invoke the miscarriage his wife suffered in his "apology", or not. I already know I'm not cool with it, and I know the kind of show Arcade Fire stage isn't going to feel the same to me knowing that of the guy leading it. It is not some impossibly high falutin' standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,802 ✭✭✭✭Basq

7:30 for Feist. Am guessing 8:45-9 for AF.

https://twitter.com/3ArenaDublin/status/1564555128606232578

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Thanks Basq

Nobody is going to take a case to the Small Claims Court. There's no possible basis for a claim, in terms of the conditions of purchase of a ticket.

I'd be interested to hear what you think such a precedent might look like. And please give me something better than, 'I didn't feel like going to the show your Honour, because an industry website alleged the lead singer behaved immorally.'

In any event, the Artist would never suffer any such loss, they've already been paid, its on the promoter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Yeah Pitchfork are hostile to AF 🙄 https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/452-funeral/ (their last couple of albums didn't review well because they are not good albums).

In any case, Win Butler's statement is basically an admission that the events did happen but that he claims they were consensual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

End of The Empire I-III - taking new meaning now as I listen to it on my way in on the train. With all the backlash I wouldn’t be surprised if the rest of the tour (after tomorrow night) is cancelled. Win was a dick, many front men are. Hopefully he tries to make amends in a sincere way and he doesn’t get cancelled too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Ffs@ consensual

Some of these fans were 20 years younger than him and would have been starstruck and not in a right state of mind. He used his status to take advantage of vulnerable young girls.

Tom Meehan got his marching orders so there's no reason why Win Butler shouldn't suffer the same fate.

Yes, the action would be against the promoter, and the claim would be along the lines you suggest, though perhaps a little more factual and little less bias. The question is whether the promoter would choose to fight a claim, engaging their solicitors, risking setting a precedent that would work against them in the future, or just fold their cards.

They'd fight it, obviously, lest they risk opening themselves up to refund claims for any old concocted reason at all, especially ones to do with the customer personally and not the act, the show or the venue.

It would be be nonsensical.

I think it's also worth keeping in the back of mind too that Win Butler is built like a brick shithouse.

I'm not suggesting he was going in physically throwing his weight around, but he's regularly described by other grown men as "intimidating", his fame and reputation alone aren't the only thing that could put teenagers into a position where they feel vulnerable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Crazy the double standards on display here.

As mentioned tom Meehan got booted from Kasabian.

marilyn manson was dropped by his label and had to cancel a ton of gigs.

Morrisey can't get his new album released because he sings about a suicide bomber.

The banjo player of mumford had to leave the band due to backlash over reading a book.

Arcade Fire is uber leftwing so won't suffer the same consequences.

Bulters singing voice sucks anyway. He can be replaced but his band members haven't the integrity to boot him.

Advertisement