Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dotsie123

Whats the story with not charging to 100%? I plan to charge in work once a week and will probably need the full 100% to get me through the week, if the car comes with a 7 year warranty and the battery begins to degrade, it should be covered shouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭pandabat

Charging to 100% once a week on a slow charger is not going to cause you any real problems with the battery. All batteries will lose some capacity over time but once you're not constantly charging to 100% multiple times a week (especially on fast chargers) then you can just enjoy the car and not worry about. The battery in the SR is even less sensitive to full charging than the one in the LR variants due to different battery chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's perfectly fine, @dotsie123. Don't mind the folk saying don't charge to 100%, it's usually a mantra they have picked up somewhere in the pub or on a forum while they don't really understand the original reason for that argument or the implications of it in practice

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

Sorry that includes the likes of metallic paint, protection stuff, and some other items

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

When I got my ZS the MG Dealer charged me 1000 for the delivery etc and 600 for paint as a got black. White is free. But add at least a grand onto all the listed prices.

Build quality and spec on the ZS is great so hopefully this is similar. From what I've heard it is.

Range is bang on too. Regularly hitting the listed 450km.

Coming up on 4000km now and only €80 added to the ESB bill. I do have the option to charge in work so I've been heading to the office a bit more ☺️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭zg3409

Beware the actual winter range at say end of January temperature below 5 degrees and full motorway speeds of 120km/h with a bit of headwind the real world range may struggle to get near 300km. Ideally someone needs to test this in January but most EVs struggle in these tests compared to official figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

@ MarkN or anyone else who knows. I need to do ca. 140km, 90% motorway at a constant 120kph regularly enough. I've free work charging at end of journey. Do you think the MG4 will do this? I don't want to be pootling along at 100kph. Thoughts very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

You would do that journey twice I'd imagine. Maybe not in proper cold weather but when it's temperate you should.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭usual_suspect

Pricing I have from MG dealer:

Mg 4 Excite 51kWh: €29,345.00

MG 4 Excite 64kWH: €32,845.00

MG 4 Exclusive 64kWh: €36,345.00

Colours:

White – Included

Blue – Included TBC

Black -€700.00

Silver - €700.00

Red - €900.00

Orange - €900.00

And an optional €1000 for a ‘Protection Pack’ which includes insurance to cover depreciation in first few years in event of a crash (🤷‍♂️), paint treatment, MG floor mats (😳😂), etc.

as for battery charging, from the MG4 manual, screenshot attached. In short, charge to 100% once per week (and this is across all models and battery chemistries)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Same- although I don’t have destination charging 😬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You can usually opt out of that overpriced paint protection lark. That's how the dealer makes a lot of extra margin. I'd rather keep that money in my pocket ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Miscreant

So that dealer is already charging nearly 2k over the official MG price on the website. Are they OTR prices you were quoted @usual_suspect ?

I had a very interesting message exchange with MG Ireland about 6 months ago in relation to their dealer network not advertising cars at the price on the website. The claimed that it should not be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Quite common across EVs and dare I say it I've seen it on ICE cars too....

When the current model Suzuki Ignis came along in 2016 or whenever it was - it was priced at 12,995 for the cheapest trim.

But on sales websites like cars Ireland dealers were pushing them at 14,200 euros.

Was tempted at 12,995 - not so at 14,200.

The trouble is - its still a cheap EV in excite trim for those prices.

But at 36 k plus for the exclusive then it starts losing appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Absolutely, it is a common practice that leaves a bad taste in the mouth. If the prices quoted are OTR then that is not so bad but adding a "premium" over the manufacturer's price is just sharp practice. You just need to look at the way the US has gone with dealerships adding thousands and sometimes tens of thousands to the price as a dealer markup. This practice will only accelerate the move from manufacturers to follow the Tesla model of selling online and cutting out the middleman altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Thanks for that

At €34k the exclusive was very interesting to me but at €36 plus a grand for paint it is really starting to get a bit steep

It is still cheaper than its competitors but not as cheap as I would like it to be

The excite is good value for the size of the battery but I like the bells and whistles that come with the exclusive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm confused as to what the issue is. The pricelist/advertised price is always with the free paint option and excluding delivery. Every car is like this. If something is advertised as €40,000 on the TV or their own website then the OTR price is usually €41,000 as it excludes delivery for some reason. Metallic will always be an optional extra.

You were never getting a €600-700 metallic colour in that initial €40,000 base price.

Hyundai seem to confuse people too when they hit them with a €2,500+ delivery cost but part of that is paint protection you can opt out of. People are surprised there's a metallic cost. If you don't want the cost then go for a base colour.

My Born was €40,400. Obviously if I wanted metallic it wouldn't start at the €38,160 OTR price, but €39,500 or whatever. My Born and Golf weren't a cent over the advertised OTR plus whatever options I ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The trouble is they seem to be charging ~€2000 for delivery (and then another 700 or whatever for paint)! It's already a massive rip off at €1000 which seems to be the standard price these days, but 2 grand?! My understanding is that the RRP cost of the car includes delivery to port - the dealer 'delivery' charge only covers transport from port to local dealer (maybe I'm wrong...).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Ah I see. It's certainly a rip off if it's definitely just delivery. Shouldn't be more than €1,000 and it's a shady way of making their price look lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭zg3409

Delivery is from Irish port to dealer. They also claim 100 point check on arrival etc but basically most if that is profit. I got a car transported limerick to Dublin for 200 euro. Their economies of scale may mean 100 euro a car for transport and maybe an hour to our on reg plates and give it a pre customer paint check and test drive.

Often the protective coatings are performed by a third party, the material if branded maybe 50 euro plus a couple of hours to wash and apply it. The same crowds charge say 300 euro for ceramic coating to any Joe soap.

It's all a scam so shop around between dealers and get a good price. It's true they all do the base colour trick and non metallic these days.

My issue also. The Excite is acceptable at that price including the €2k markup, but the Exclusive gets harder to justify. The extra paint cost is the same elsewhere so don’t particularly get too phased by that.

I’d take the insurance protection, but don’t care for the paint protection - mainly as I’m very skeptical they have professionals applying the treatment.

As someone looking at buying a new car for first time, it sure comes away with a sour taste in mouth to see how dealers handle it with these extra markups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Markbro1

The price I was given for the base model SR was €29,450 OTR which includes metallic paint. Each model increment is then €3.5K extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Markbro1

Also, for those that have a car ordered or are contemplating one, you might want to have a read of this. It might not be a big issue but better off to be aware:

Oil Leak - Trophy | Speak EV - Electric Car Forums

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Nothing at all. I am sure MG have done lots of tests on the 4 as it's one of there most important cars and they have a lot of experience with electric cars too so I doubt it is anything to do with the battery.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The latest on this out of the UK is the gearbox (there’s a two-gear system) was slightly overfilled on a batch. Oil leakage is out an overflow valve (as designed). Having said that, I’ll still be bringing the car back for a check if I see any oil myself!

Just seen a baby blue MG4 English reg on the M50.

Have to say it’s a very striking car and looks great- even in that colour!!

Ms

Any idea which spec it was excite or Exclusive?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Would love to see MG make a saloon version of this. Probably not going go happen do :(

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Not 100% sure but I didn’t notice the full bar brake light, split rear spoiler or two tone roof so I’d say it was excite?

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Or it could be an SE?

Are there 3 specs for Ireland like in the uk or just two for us?

Advertisement