Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Maybe MarkN was driving it. I am sure he will let us know of it was him or not or maybe IrelandEV or one of the other You-tube reviewers or someone else had it or could have been privately owned either I suppose.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Theres just two in Uk as well.

Uk SE is equivalent to Irish excite.

UK Trophy is equivalent to Irish exclusive

• Registered Users Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭MarkN

Once we all finished with press cars yesterday there were dealers literally at the location we rotate the cars waiting to pick them up and drive them to dealers to get customers into them for drives.

The blue one was one of the press ones, not sure on spec of it but Derek Reilly was in it yesterday morning so I’d imagine that’s the one he will post up soon.

I actually ended up taking a standard range as I think that’ll be the big seller here perhaps. Video is on my channel now.

I wouldn’t worry about the motorway commute with charging at the other end at all. In the LR I don’t think it would struggle with a return leg either. Averaged around 21kWh / 100kms at 120.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Edit: just a few points on the video Mark.

You mentioned that the car is €27,500 but quite a few people here are saying you can't actually buy the car for that so might be worth getting clarification from MG on final price landed for the bog standard spec.

Also in relation to 11KW charging you don't make it clear that the max charging speed the most people in Ireland can get is 7KW and the 11KW relates to public charge points.

Maybe you could add these to the video description?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Ah I see.

That explains why I'm suddenly seeing dealer photos on done deal then like this one....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Good review Nobby as always, there is a silly comment on there about your focus on the price.

Price is crucial in order to review the car in the correct context.

I really wish you would comment on the availability in the Irish market though, if only to embarrass the manufacturers into bringing more in.

also you probably need to start mentioning that the price may change in July 23 when grants are being reviewed, this may help to focus the minds of people on the fence

I disagree on the 7kW. It’s a missed opportunity and would be really brilliant for public charging. I charged a Polestar using on street last week 55-95% in a little over 3 hours and it was ideal.

I have to assume people are staring to get their heads around home versus public though.

Prices quoted are the most recent from MG.

Thanks for watching it lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Very helpful MarkN. Any idea if Johnson and Perrott were there? I'm hassling them for a straight answer...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Would heated seats go a long way in making up for lack of heat pump?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭pandabat

Thanks Mark - good review. Covered all relevant points fairly well, I think.

I don't know where it's come from but recently there seems to be loads of people on Boards suddenly confused/surprised about list price vs OTR price. New car prices have always been this way - maybe there's just loads of people considering a new car that have never bought one before but full-price obfuscation by virtually all car makers is nothing new. The list price is the headline price and you'll often find the OTR price/dealer&delivery charges in the small print.

Availability on any EV (and many ICE cars) is fairly thin at the moment - some dealers might have the odd cancelled or excess order where you've no choice on spec/colour but you'll need to hunt around and get lucky for those. Otherwise throw your money down for the EV of choice and get in the queue. Demand is such that manufacturers could sell multiples of what's available now but it's a supply issue and, in European terms, we're a tiny market here with a bespoke steering wheel build config so we make matters a little worse for ourselves there and largely have to rely on a trickle from UK-focused manufacturing runs. The economic situation in the UK right now could end up having a further effect on that in the near future so that's another thing to consider.

For everything else, it's up to people to do their own homework and make up their own minds. For sure, if you want to avail of full EV grants then you'd want to move fast with supply the way it is to get your car in by July '23. That said, the grant goes straight to car companies now (which was the wrong way to do it) so it's not impossible that it artificially inflates the base price right now. As a result, there may be *some* wriggle room for price adjustment by manufacturers in the scenario of significantly reduced grants but no one yet even knows how the grants will be tapered off so it's pure speculation to go down that road right now.

For JPMG in Cork, I think that they were hoping to have around 20-25 MG4s per month available once they started coming in properly. I'd say that at least the first 2 shipments for there would have been gone by the end of the first official full day of pre-orders (just over 2 weeks ago) based on the phone conversation that I had with them at the time so demand is going to be high for this model and even more so now that reviews have been so generally positive.

I’d always try haggle about the extra charges, tell them to scrap paint protection bull etc and I’d be the same on delivery charges but as has been pointed out, it’s not a buyers market for new cars right now due to supply and the dealers sadly know it.

I actually missed a few bits, forgot to cover V2L and if you life the rubber mat around the phone tray, you can thread cables through. I got that bit from Mat Watson so I’ll blame him. :)

There'll be a whole host of new people looking to get their first EV with this MG so I think clarification on max home charging speed would be helpful. I agree with you that 11KW is very handy for public charging though and is a nice bonus on any car.

The price is quoted by MG but dealers are looking for more so again just having you pointing out that it will be more than the €27,500 would give new buyers a heads up.

Excellent review as usual though.

I’ll have an Irish reg one again soon for a week so will add more bits in then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Just to clarify the 7 vs 11KW is purely the AC charger right?

This has no effect on DC fast chargers correct?

So you would want an 11KW if your destination hotel (for example) had a 3 phase charger?

Nothing to do with DC/CCS charging no.

Very rare to get a hotel in Ireland with anything above 7kW to be honest. Most don’t even cater for it which is a bit of a joke.

Main benefit is your car can be used at an ESB on street or in Tesco etc charger and benefit.

Majority of EV owners charge at home, overnight when you don’t have to give it a second thought.

In my opinion 11KW is perfect for somewhere you're going to be 3-5 hours. Think Glendalough, Shopping Centres, IKEA etc.

7KW is perfect for somewhere you'll be 6 hours plus. So say overnight at a hotel.

There should be banks of 50KW chargers where people spend up to an hour. Town centres, grocery shops, cafes etc.

100KW+ should be on every route between main towns in the country with 150kw+ on all the motorway services. Add in a few 150KW+ in towns and the country wouldn't be long about seeing massive take-up of EVs and following in Norway's footsteps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭fafy

Website updated:

https://www.mg.ie/mg4-ev/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The lack of reversing camera is a bit strange considering the cost difference between the two spec levels and that it jumps to a full 360 camera up from nothing. Very useful convenience feature to have in a car with big C pillars and smaller rear windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

@MarkN Great review as always, I've been following your channel for a while so good to put a boards name to the face. 🙂

It was your, and Derrick's, MG ZS EV videos that swung it for me. Was lucky to get one in July (ordered in Dec). I've 4000km done now and love it. If the build quality on this MG4 is the same/better than the ZS then it's a heck of a car for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭usual_suspect

Early deposit holder here.

My only complaint about your review is

a) at 13:00, you talk about someone with a deposit down and “you’re going to like it”. Were you reading my earlier posts? 😂

b) could you have said anything bad about it? 😂Expectations are high now for my….. 15 minute test drive on Monday. (Yes, dublin dealer doing 15 minute test drives due to demand 🙄).

joking aside, great review.

On all the dealer delivery charges, I’m a first-time new car buyer and hearing of a €2k delivery charge was…eye-opening. I’ll drive to Rosslare and pick it up myself and take the wrapping off if that’s all I’m paying for! I can see why Tesla is avoiding the dealer market…. I doubt I’ll get to avoid paying it as you rightly point out it’s a sellers market right now, however, I have a long memory so know where I’ll look for my next vehicle.

great review!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Many Hyundai dealers tried something similar when the Ioniq 5 was launched last year listing an eye watering delivery charge including paint protection. When pressed they were fairly easily persuaded to take that off, dropping the price by €400 and that was also a car in high demand and oversubscribed

So for anyone in here buying one: speak up and demand for the price to be adjusted for that. A €2k delivery charge on a €27.5k car is ludicrous. That's 7%. For comparison, Tesla charge €980 on a €100k car, that's less than one percent

I hope the MG4 sells by the shiploads here though. Finally a very good, well specced, efficient, affordable family size EV again. It's been a long time.

To be fair, from the info that I got, the €2k was inclusive of metallic paint if you were going for it so subtract ~€600-€800 (guesstimate) if going for a flat colour (white/blue afaik). The red and orange (Exclusive spec only) are tri-coat colours and have a price premium over standard metallic afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If you got €400 off for paint protection and €700 off for metallic paint, we're still talking a hefty €900 charge. I guess they will get away with that. Making the car a €28.5k car though. Not a €27.5k car.

I dunno 🤷🏻‍♂️Dealer & delivery charges of €700-€800 were normal enough last time I was looking at new cars 4-5 years ago and delivery charges have certainly gone up recently with fuel/inflation rises. Guess we'll know more when people actually get to buy the cars here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Any car I've looked at from several brands has €1,000 delivery in the OTR price. The issue is people keep quoting the MG4 as €27,500 when that's not the OTR price. That's nothing new though, any car I see advertised in ads or manufacturers own websites list advertise the car exclusive of delivery fees, even configurators exclude it. As the price is so important with this car it's worth noting the OTR price. Although we don't officially have one yet just what dealers are saying which people are unsure of?

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭McGiver

I can't find any mention of front parking sensors. Anyone?

Not mentioned in any reviews and the brochure doesn't mention that for any trim. I'd consider this a standard, at least for medium and high trim of any car.

No front sensors on my Executive Plus 73KW Ioniq 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭McGiver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Whatever about the unreasonable delivery cost.. even taking that into account this smokes anything doesn’t it? I don’t know that much about cars in the range but would assume it’s up against the Zoe? Maybe the leaf that is being discontinued I think.

Advertisement