Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

No heat pump available in UK or Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭MarkN

I’ll be spending time with one of these later in the week if anyone wants anything in particular looked at, shout here!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Will be delighted to get your opinion on it Mark

Most of the reviews have been very positive with minor enough criticism of the interior being dark and the seats in the lower spec versions being a bit squishy in the bolsters

A couple of recent reviews have mentioned that the driver alert monitor is far too sensitive and bongs frequently, I would like to know if this is a problem in your car and if so will MG be fixing it

Given you can map the climate controls and others to steering wheel buttons, does that work well and negate the criticism of having things buried in the infotainment and not having physical controls

Also see if you think the top spec model is worth the extra over the standard spec in the bigger battery version

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What model are you getting Mark? Might be worth mentioning the cost of buying and running comparable ICE cars (Golf etc) over say 5 years of ownership.

Maybe have a look at the infotainment screen. Apparently the software in the ZS is very snappy but in the Marvel it's a laggy. Would be interesting which one the 4 follows.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭pandabat

Thanks Mark!

As someone said above, seats are of interest. Padding, comfort, quality of material, adjustment and particularly how lumbar support is?

How's rear visibility for general use and reversing if you're on standard spec and don't have the cameras?

Real benefits (or not) in spending extra to go long range and extra again to go to top spec?

Rain on the rear window without wiper - is it ok? (If weather allows)

Does app work ok? E.g. Cabin heating seems to be something a little less straightforward then it should be according to UK forum.

Infotainment performance/bugs

Sturdiness of rear spoilers if on top spec.

Feedback so far has generally been positive but always good to get other perspectives

Post edited by pandabat on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭MarkN

It’ll be an Excite LR. Thanks for the questions in it, will include as many as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,896 ✭✭✭Patser

Can you ask is there ever going to be a glass roof, sun roof option?

Also any hints about the rumoured dual motor (sports) version

And if you can corner an MG exec, any news on the Cyberster

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭E30M3

Seat support and Comfort Mark. Do the seats feel wide enough, supportive and firm(ish)

What is the space like, Frout and Back and roof height for taller drivers?

Seating position, what is it closest to on the market currently? Do you sit down into it or are you sitting at a height.

What cars on the market (ICE or BEV) is it comparable to in terms of space and seating position.

That would be really helpful Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭usual_suspect

One key time to note on this: MG was petty and has restricted what can be mapped to the steering wheel in the Excite models. Only Trophy model gets options to map regen, and some other obvious stuff you’d want there 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Give a knock to the wings, the metal etc. How do you think this will hold up in the Irish Atlantic salty air! It's a long way from China!

Remember when other Asian brands came to Ireland including the king Toyota, they all fell apart with rust.

What is the rust / body / paint warranty with these?

Thanks very much if you can assist?

• Advertisement

ask MG if they've any plans to get it rated for roof load :) (shouldn't be any technical reason with the vehicle why it can't..)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's a very long time ago now @FaganJr. All Teslas being sold in Ireland at the moment are made in China. Within 10-15 years I'd say the majority of cars sold in Ireland will be Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭sh81722

...unless EU creates some serious protective barriers to protect local manufacturing. Of course the Chinese brands can move production here if that happens but they then loose the scale/price advantage they currently have. But I do feel the European makes carry too much baggage which probably means that they will gain in Europe even if such barriers happen.

The triple crisis (Brexit, Covid, Ukraine + Evergreen incident) between 2016 and now have shown advantages of manufacturing stuff locally using local support chains so hopefully the European manufactures are not totally screwed going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think the MG4 is a great looking car in the Exclusive spec and great value and in Excite spec its not bad but its not as nice looking at the front or rear as the Exclusive. It's not just that split rear spoiler you lose by going for the lower spec the front and rear design of both cars are totally different too.

This video shows it at 6 minutes in and is worth the watch. He reviews it in the UK that is why he mentions the different UK specs too,

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭FaganJr

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

Placed a deposit yesterday, and booked a test drive for next week.

Am thinking about the excite SR as most driving is local, and circ 300/350km should be sufficient than spend extra 3k.

What colour do you think is best, leaning towards the black/grey, think the blue is too light, not gone on white/yellow, and whilst the red is nice, will it be the most common colour sought?

Ms

The Orange looks great. You should really check the video I posted above at 6 minutes in so you will not be dissapointed. That 3 k buys a lot more than just a split rear spoiler and some extra electronic safety gizmos.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What’s the craic with a heat pump? What are the advantages to having one and how would it improve the MG4?

Sorry I’m new enough to this!!

As someone near the front of the queue, and also getting to finally test drive one on Monday, there’s more than a few of us who want the Exclusive specs, but without that aesthetic-purposes-only spoiler (it impacts range also)!

Ms

Could you not get the spoiler taken off? Personally I think the car looks better with that spoiler and the rear double brake bar on the exclusive but maybe that's because I watched the video above and he showed the Exclusive first then the Excite and it looks bare without the spoiler.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
    Ms

A heat pump just helps increase the battery range in the car.

The heat pump by all reports doesn't help much in a temperate climate such as ours, it really benefits in properly cold countries. This is from the Ionic 5 thread but basically out temperature is not cold enough fit hear pumps maybe unless you do a lot of driving g in the winter too.

Maybe that's why MG have not decided to offer on in the 4 that and cost. As a heat pump would push the cost of it up.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

This link explains it,

The ideal outside temperature range for maximum efficiency of the heat pump is between 5 to 15 deg Celsius which is where our temperature in Ireland is more than 80 per cent of the time."

This seems to contradict what was said in the Ioniq 5 thread that I posted.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

@sh81722 - "...unless EU creates some serious protective barriers to protect local manufacturing"

Indeed. But that's not gonna happen, they have us by the balls. The EU depends on China far more than the other way around. Even the US suffers big style when they try these sort of actions.

And anyway, why would we do that, to protect some incumbent EU car manufacturers that can't keep up with what's happening in the world? They might have a strong lobby, but ultimately there will be very little support for that from the voters when they find out how it impacts them.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

I'd be interested Mark in what its real world motorway efficiency is like. Say on a Motorway going 110/115kmh. I've heard it may not be the best but be interested to see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Hmmmm. So would it be a deal breaker?

Id do the same mileage in the summer as per winter (approx 15k per 6 months).

What sort of range would you expect on a worst case scenario day- Ie depths of winter, strong headwind, 120kph on motorway.

€3k extra for a wireless phone charger, the ability to set shortcuts on a steering wheel, an electric drivers seat, a few other little features, and a spoiler to take up space in my shed seems a bit inefficient with my money :) (I'm very much of the philosophy a car is a tool - and a depreciating asset! - so not spending money I don't need to).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

If it's only 3k between specs then I'd go for it.

Based on the image posted a few days ago, it looks like the higher spec has 360 cameras and blind spot detection (both of which I will never buy another car without), also heated seats/steering wheel and a good few more bits. 3k for all that is actually not bad at all.

If demand and supply remain similar to the current moment then I don't think there'll be much depreciating going on for a while on one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Another downside to a heat pump is there are more moving parts than a standard interior heater, meaning more to go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

Most of those are in the upgrade from Excite LR to Exclusive LR, which is another 4k more, I think, so 7k plus for extra range and those extras??

Base excite is 27,500 and exclusive 34,500 all before about 2,500 delivery and related charges, to me doesn't seem worth it, as extra range is not really of interest for most of my driving, now to have those extra toys in small battery one would be nice and worth paying for, but not at 7k.

• Advertisement

€2500 in delivery and related charges, seriously?

Advertisement