Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

A friend got his a few weeks ago. He says his biggest gripe is that you can only connect one phone to the car for the iSmart app. His wife keeps waking him up in the morning to preheat it for her :)

Any way around that? Ideally both of their phones should have the app and both should be able to control the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Why not just put it on her phone if she is the one using the car every morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭Patser

Buy himself earplugs and her an ice scraper

She doesnt use it every morning. Just the mornings she has to go to work before he does.

Life would be much easier to just allow the phones to both connect to the car. That way whoever is out and about with the car can have the app with them too.

Seems like a totally stupid idea to me not to let all drivers have their own app without having to borrow just one persons phone.

There is an option to email the key to someone, and for them to gave 24 access to car through the app. Not sure if that allows for preheat but definitely allows for access through app so probably should

Edit - just glanced at MG4 UK forum and apparently simplest solution is to use the one log in account on both phones - so she just logs in as him on her phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Only got the app installed the other day, but the car would not be cold with my wife thats one thing for sure.

Mostly handy journeys alright, I suppose thats it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

You absolutely can have the app on two phones. @Patser says, just get primary driver to sign up and use the same credentials then on the second phone.

This is what we do and it works fine. The only issue is that can only one phone be signed in at any one time.. not a major deal.

Post edited by Jonathan on

Thanks guys that sounds ideal. Now their only problem will be if they get two MGs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,073 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Just ordered the standard excite in white. Told it will probably be april.

Will look to sell the Tucson close to the date to help offset the payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭crl84

Where was that from?

Linders and Frank Keane in Dublin both told me May when I was there last week.

Put the deposit down with Linders as they quoted a better trade-in price (in theory), but far short of what I was expecting, so going to try sell privately before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,073 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Poor trade in seems to be the mg ethos.

I ordered from Brian Reynolds Drogheda

Tbf I got a decent trade in with Frank Keane, but then again it was an electric BMW to a dealer linked to BMW

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Basilio

Tested MG4 yesterday. Liked the ride but nothing else (apologies to owners). To me it is more like a gadget on wheels. Will search for 38kWh IONIQ as my next EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭baziled13

everyone into different thing, but the Ioniq 5 is a great looking car

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭baziled13

sorry should have noticed you didn’t put 5 after Ionia

the leaf is also great car with good warranty do you know what ioniq warranty is like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭lau1247

When I place my deposit down 2 weeks ago, Frank Keane told me similar date. I was told it is about 3-4 months. Supposedly not affected by the like of chip shortage like VAG brands and they haven't seen much slippage of delivery so I'm told. Hopefully I can get mine before end of June. Don't really want to lose the grant (or reduced value). Finger cross.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Had 2014 Leaf 24kWh for two years, post 2017 model is just old sheep in a new skin to me.

After driving Ioniq 28kWh I would not go back to Nissan again. Now searching for new EV I would only consider Leaf as temporary solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Anyone else with major jitters about the MG4? Mine is due in March/April and the majority of posts on forums with owners are about faults, which is to be expected I suppose, but it's already had a recall in the UK. Am I being naive?

Have mine a few weeks now, it's a good car. If you go to any thread here on any car, it'll always be full of requests for advice or faults.

For the MG4 big thing to check is has the Lane Keep Assist recall been done - that's the only thing that I found 'wrong' with car and the update fixed. All other issues are ignorable, mostly to do with the software and will hopefully be updated - for example 24 and 25 degrees seems be sweet spot for aircon? Why so high, who knows but hopefully they'll recalibrate this to 19 and 20 but even if they don't so what.

Road sign recognition seems to be set to UK limits, and struggles with Irish kmh but again barring a little confused sign on dash it has no impact on drive.

Undertray dip - mine has a small one - doesn't lead to any noise or vibration I can detect but cosmetically I'd like it fixed but who ever really sees under the car.

Mechanically and design wise MG4 have it right, so when it comes to the actual drive the car is fun, comfy, easy to drive. That's the important thing for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭olympicweights

Bjorn talks about batteries while driving MG4 SR. Some low speed over taking to give an idea of the power. Hopefully some decent MG4 content on the way 🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭pandabat

Natural to have jitters on a big purchase like this. There have certainly been a number of launch issues with the MG4 and (in the UK) some of the comms regarding same could have been better.

Personally I had my own concerns regarding these and coupled with a poor trade-in offer (adding another few years to an already lengthy ROI period based on my mileage) along with concerns over features that I'd be missing on Excite spec just all added up and lead me to cancel my order. However there are many that have taken delivery that are very happy and that'll be the case for many.

The severity of the issues will depend on you though e.g. although you'll never really see the undertray, I know that any bulging there would niggle on my mind. Just knowing it was there would be enough to annoy me whereas, for others, this would be a non issue. You will also need faith and patience that most of the software issues will be eventually solved if you think that they will bother you.

So, not sure if this was coincidence or some sort of press review, but definitely feel like I owe an apology.....

If any of ye were the lad driving the white Exclusive along the M4 there around 11pm, I apologise for being the happy, annoying lad in the blue one that come up alongside waving, because I was happy to see what the car looked like in motion, with the lights on etc. I was equally surpirsed to see a 2nd Grey exclusive in front of you.

So not sure if coincidentally 3 of the few MG4s in Ireland happened to be 100m of each other, or whether you were on an arranged delivery or something. Either way sorry for beeping and waving dementedly at you

Bjorn is happy! Except for unsurprising issues with LKA/MG Pilot, he seems very impressed with car

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The 4 is a little small for me so when I was told the ZS I ordered wouldn’t probably arrive, I ordered a Tesla , I did drive the MG4 however and really liked it, incredible value for the entry level spec , people are a lot more likely to complain on forums than praise aspects of a new car, not saying those people are cranks but are a small percentage of owners

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭olympicweights

He does seem impressed, especially with the ride, comparing it to an i4! Also his range test should give a good indication of summer range here.

If we're fecking lucky - the screen shows 30.5 celsius as he's charging at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

I'd love to see him test it in Norwegian weather. There's been a fair bit of criticism about the car's cold weather performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Isn't some of that criticism down to the battery heating running as default in low which can be turned off.....

Which many people weren't aware off until very recently.

Or are there other issues I'm unaware of...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

I now watched the Bjorn's review. The MG4 seems like a well built car but the software looks glitchy, lane keep assist a total disaster, charging fairly slow, and consumption quite high (given the ideal weather).

Advertisement