Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭usual_suspect

The MG4 manual explicitly states to charge (all battery types) to 100% once per week* to allow the BMS to align/reset the battery, and I'll be following that guideline (they can't accuse me of anything if there's an issue). Seems to be a lot of urban myths out there around not charging to 100% (perhaps relevant on older cars)? A great example here of how new batteries are doing - note also this is not the LFP model which was not released until 2020, and that's 182,514 miles:

*using 'slow/home' charger, not fast chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭horse7

Does the latest batch come with a type 2 cable?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭RM Ernest

Hey Jonathan,

How do you find the car 6 weeks in now? What is the cars overall efficiency since you got it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭Patser

Had a chance to experiment over last 2 days with the cars range - had to go to Thurles from home for an overnight training course.

So charged car to 100%, no preheat, drove 133km to Thurles, 33km back roads at 60 to 80km/h, 100kms on motorway with car at 120km/h all the way, ac on, normal drive mode - used 45% battery with efficiancy saying 21.7Kw/h per 100km.

Didn't charge overnight figuring if it took 45% down, it'd be same back but on return trip I also had a passenger. Since I was straight onto motorway at start watched as est range kept dropping as I drove til it was below trip distance, so 50km into motorway trip switched to eco mode but kept stubbornly at 120km/h to test it. Made it home with 4% battery and 13km range - the last 30km on the back roads were what really influenced the range.

So effective range of around 280km, while driving at 120km/h for over 200km, and an average of I'd say 70km/h remaining 70. 1 passenger on return but minimal luggage. It'd be pretty much what I'd have expected - I mean from Dublin, you'd literally get anywhere in Ireland except ironically the infamous unexpected trip to Dingle

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭RM Ernest

Cheers Patser, is yours the standard range or long range?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,724 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No long range, Exclusive - which ironically because of the spoilers has less range, efficiency and acceleration than the Excites

• Registered Users Posts: 44 theinferior

Yeah, the spoilers are the one thing I would rather do without on the Exclusive I ordered.

• Advertisement

I think the car looks incomplete without them. On the Excites the 'notches' that the spoilers fir into are kind of there, it make the back look like an incomplete model kit IMO - like you lost a piece.

But funny that whatever way they designed them has such on impact on drag. I mean they are just cosmetic, I don't think they are there to create downforce to prevent drift while on the race track. So surely they could have designed a less drag, equally visual feature

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Yeah, overall still very happy with it. The software issues are starting to get a bit annoying though, and would like MG to get a move on with the fixes. Once you understand what causes the bugs, you can generally work around them.

1,400km driven with an overall efficiency of 22.9kWh/100km, with lots of preheating. However that figure dropping has been dropping over the last week or two as the weather improves and heating requirement drops away. It might not drop away completely though as the wife has developed a fondness for the heated seats. 😅 In the absence of resistive heating, I've been getting around 16kWh/100kWh.

I've a 250km round trip coming up before the end of the month and will report back on how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 HS99

Popped into Linders yesterday for an update.

They're slowly starting to see cars be loaded onto ships but even once they're on a ship they're still 8-12 weeks away from landing at the garage which means that my car (blue, exclusive) ordered in November for expected delivery in March/April is still 3+ months away from delivery as it hasn't been loaded onto a ship yet... 😮‍💨

On the plus side I'll be able to put a much bigger down payment on it 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 44 theinferior

I also ordered with Linders. Do you think they'll let you know when it goes onto a boat, or will you have to pop in again and ask?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

As an e208 driver wanting to get something a bit bigger I really like these.

Anyone know what the deal with the grant is given it's supposed to be gradually reducing. Frank Keane said today they have 200 vehicles on order, not all sold either...are they an importer?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭baziled13

MG send large shipment of cars from China to Zeebrugge Belgium which they distribute the cars all around Europe, MG don't send car in order of waiting list just send whats available to dublin port and dublin dealers get first pick then Cork. so certain colours and specs will be early and others late.

Next shipment arriving on schelde highway 1 March

Based on reviews I've read and heard, it seems like one of the best value bang for buck EVe at the moment.

Trade in on our e208 (202) is lower than we thought so may just sell private instead. Now just to see if they have any stock for delivery before 1/7 so we can get the full grant while it remains.

Also UK had a £1000 price rise so expect one here later this year

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Das89

Hi folks, I did have an order in for a excellence model but have since cancelled it and gone with the Megane E-Tech. I see some folks are able to track car shipments by the boat itself. Does anyone know how or it can be done for other brands? Cheers in advance and I know not the fount for the brand.

• Advertisement

MG are only getting VIN numbers when cars arrive in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭usual_suspect

Quick update on my own. As mentioned above, it's blind luck what MG shipped so doesn't matter where you are in the order queue to a small degree. As an example, I ordered in August - one of the very first in the country and.... I'm getting my car next week. A small batch appear to have arrived in in the past week or so. However, obviously my red Excite long-range wasn't in the first batch received in December/January so was out of luck - presumably the non-standard red colour impacted me. I didn't mind the delay as I don't mind dragging out my current car for a longer period, but I didn't appreciate the poor communications from the dealer - which all the dealers slowly seem to be realising as they open up on how the cars come in (MG sends what they have, and dealers just choose what is in the batch). A good thing for everybody.

I've asked what version of software I'm getting also so will share here once I know...

Why choose the Excite? Personally I'd love the heated seats and 360 camera, but everything else felt a gimmick. I'll take the extra range instead! The related note to this is I now look at so many cars around (numerous Toyota's) with the exact same spoiler design and wonder just how many cars are being affected for range by poor design choices on the part of the manufacturer....granted aerodynamics play less a part with ICE vehicles, but interesting nonetheless. A positive side effect of EVs appears to be an increased emphasis on efficiency and long may it last, instead of chucking bigger and bigger batteries into vehicles!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 HS99

I was told they'll get in contact when the car appears on the shipped list!

Sorry I don't know how to reply to comments

shipped list doesn’t mean anything, I ordered in September and have been on the shipped list since December no sign of my white excite standard range

MG are filling orders randomly with what cars they have in Belgium

Is anyone trying to get (or do you have) the exclusive long range with bigger battery?

Some of the UK MG forums are a bit scary with issues....one lad saying he got stick on car for 45 mins on Wednesday and had to smash window to get out when he started to smell burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pop'n'Fresh

I've an exclusive LR on order since early December, with some of the teething issues reported and the Tesla price reduction I've been tempted by some of the 1 year old Tesla M3 for sale.

I walked in to the MG garage in December for a test drive expecting to hate it, I was so pleasantly surprised I put a deposit down the same day. I test drove an M3 last week and really liked the sleek interior and glass roof but the rear seats are absolutely awful. I'm single, living in Wexford and travel to Dublin 1-2x per week. I don't need a big car but I'm absolutely sold on an EV.

Has anyone else on here had similar thoughts? I'm interested to hear what might have swayed some of you one way or the other.

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/phil240753

Took the MG4 Exclusive on its first long distance journey yesterday/today, from North Dublin to Cavan Town and back again, along M1 + M50 + M3/N3 route. Two occupants for both legs of the journey. Charged to 100% SOC (GOM showing 366km) overnight, but a few short runarounds before we departed Dublin meant SOC was 98% when hitting the road.

Used TJA Cruise Control (assisted steering) on the M3/N3 and found it helpful. It is particularly poor at motorway exits though, so you need be ready to resist it coming up them. Changed back regular Adaptive Cruise Control for the M1/M50. Purposely travelled at speed limits (where safe to do so), had A/C at 21°C, and had car in "Normal" driving mode throughout. Could have got another bit out of it by changing to "ECO" mode. Used the in-build navigation and found it worked well.

Arrived in Cavan Town with 59% SOC (GOM showing 184km), 132km on trip odometer and trip efficiency of 20.4kWh/100km. Travelled back to Dublin today and arrived home with 12% SOC (GOM showing 34km), 260km on trip odometer and trip efficiency of 20.5km. Adding the remaining GOM to 260km gives a similar-ish range to @Patser of 280-290km.

All in all pretty happy with that for winter driving. Total efficiency figure (since taking ownership) has further dropped since my last post to 22.5kWh/100km.

Delete

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭doctorg

whats the best price y'all have gotten for excite SR ?

• Advertisement

Any oil leak problems? I'm thinking of putting a deposit down now with the hope that by the time car is ready they will have solved the problem.

Advertisement