Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭pandabat

Assuming that you've only put a deposit down and haven't signed paperwork of any kind then just simply contact your dealer and tell them that you're no longer interested and they should process that refund within a few days.

If you have entered into some sort of contract agreement on paper then your mileage may vary on that though. It'll depend on what agreement you entered into although I can't imagine there being too much of a fight being necessary as I'd imagine most dealers won't have too much problem selling on any cancelled orders - despite any cold feet some potential buyers get (myself included), the MG4 is still unrivalled in its value offering and its potential shortcomings to some won't be of any concern to many buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,724 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I see the MG4 is on Fiffth Gear recharged this evening.

It's on now soon.

Just breaks then Vicki tests an MG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭Patser

I think most complaints I've seen about the MG4, including on that podcast, is for known, small niggles that could be easily fixed but that MG is being slow and secretive about when - so (especially in UK where they've had car longer) frustration is growing because people are hearing nothing - like fix preheat glitch (and give us preset times), set speed signs to European signs, update android auto to wireless, fix undertray bulge - all are small, and 90% are just a software tweak but nothing seems to be happening.

That said, apparently MG are having their it system updated globally, hopefully this is to allow for faster updates and over the air updates

BTW for what it's worth I'm still enjoying the car a lot and it received the ultimate compliment from my Wife the other day - she snored, loudly; while we were on a 45 minute trip on backroads and then M50 for while. So car is definitely comfy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭staples7

For some unknown reason I watched the entire hour, I think if the issues were fixed at the dealers those lads would have been fine. Pity there’s no OTA updates.

the issue being it was talking hours and hours and eventually would be told the servers down call back again. Or with undertray warping issue it’s not a safety problem so ‘good luck and safe home’ not an mg problem. That’s hard to take.

also you could see the guy that’s from the dealership struggling to justify Mg’s positioning on these issues. Look I’ve zero skin in the game. Know a few people waiting on 4’s so time will tell. But it would be enough to concern me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭baziled13

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭usual_suspect

I'm fascinated to see people cancelling orders, and quite happily stating they'll stump up an extra €10-€20k (depending on what model they're cancelling) for a Model Y with the primary reason being the issues the MG4 has been seen to have. An aside, does everyone have €15k just sitting around they're willing to put into what is a depreciating asset (i.e. a car)?! Or actually need the space of the Model Y?

I'm a very early deposit holder myself on an Excite long-range and have considered (infrequently) cancelling the order. However, it's for the same reason as I've had from the outset: the boot is a bit smaller than I'd really like. However it's still at least an extra €10-12k to jump to a Model 3 or Y (or equivalent model from other manufacturers) and for that money, I can look at these options:

• buy a roof box for the MG4, put some solar on my house AND buy a cargo bike (which will likely be a smarter investment in the long run than a car which just costs money!), or
    • just invest the money somewhere and enjoy the returns (in 2024 when the market returns to normal 😂), or
    • jump to the MG5 (€38k) for the extra space but compromise with a drop in range due to the smaller battery.....or
    • hold out a few more months and see if Model 3 2nd hand prices continue to drop into the mid/low 30's..... (or e-Niro prices finally become sane again)
    • or drag my existing car on a few more years (unappealing as I'm very keen to make the move off fossil fuels)

Others have pointed out (correctly) that all cars have early teething issues (remember the infamous manufacturing/panel-gap issues of the Teslas, and even the issues amongst the various legacy manufacturers in the early batches of new cars) - almost all of the issues with the MG4 are software-based (with the exception of that under tray which is an issue with a small subset of the cars but not all - I'll be giving a detailed inspection of mine when it arrives) so I'm hoping that MG continues to iterate the software and improve on it steadily. By all accounts, the worst offenders (ultra-aggressive Lane Keep assist, and that recent update which locked some owners in the car...) are now resolved in the latest software revisions which is a real positive.

I'm just looking forward to joining the EV fray whenever the MG4 actually arrives! No more fossil fuels..... (oh, and MG actually releasing the roof bars for the car and not teasing us with some photos...).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I just called and said id like my deposit back as ive decided not to move forward at this time due to the numerous issues. Salesman agreed and said they are having a nightmare and there are a lot of cancellations. Money was refunded in about 10 days.

As an aside he told me that he had someone picked up their MG4 and 3 days later the windscreen was cracked right in front of the drivers side by a stone. The car is not driveable and they have been waiting a month so far ,with the car not able to be used, for a new windscreen and no sign of it coming. Its a sh1tshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

But they arent "little" niggles and they arent "few" though.

Resale value of this car is going to plummet if the quality control is not addressed fast, and they are doing the opposite of addressing it. Look at yer man with the buckled undercarraige and now they have told him to just live with it because they wont fix it. MG showing how Chinese they really are at this point.

What dealership model and colour did you cancel, looking to pick it up quick

• Advertisement

So I presume everyone will be cancelling their Teslas now then? 😜

I dunno. Between build quality, software issues and/or crazy pricing affecting many brands/models at the moment, I'm more on the side of buying nothing for now and sticking with my ICE car for the foreseeable.

As for cancellations, I had an issue that was (eventually) sorted under warranty on my car in the past. That was with a well-established brand with a dealership that exclusively dealt with that brand. Even so it was still a long, hard process with no small amount of stress on my part though as the issue was intermittent and never seemed to happen for the dealership while they had the car (with COVID restrictions meaning that I couldn't travel in the car with any technician to demonstrate it myself). I'd have no wish to spend a load of money to change cars and then find that I was again back trying to get issues sorted by a combo of a dealership (which probably also does many other brands from which it makes more money than it does from MG and would likely prioritise accordingly) & a car company that seems to have a not-so-straightforward approach to customer care. All that increasingly became a worry for me with the MG4. I pondered spending more on, say, a Megane E-tech but (a) it's overpriced for what it is imo like many other EVs and (b) I'm sure it'll come with quirky issues of it's own.

There thankfully do seem to be some fairly trouble-free MG4s out there but then there also seem to be some lemons (based on UK forums). I just couldn't face into possibly getting the latter and having to do the dance and jump through the hoops again and I would understand why people would be willing to pay more for another brand/model to try and avoid all that. With the Tesla post above however, it just shows that even trying that may be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Fingers crossed for most Irish buyers that early niggles are ironed out though and that the software updates etc materialise in a timely fashion.

Post edited by pandabat on

New review from Mark/Nobby up:

https://youtu.be/DMnbxteUU5c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭horse7

The oil leàk is still the number one problem and hasn't been resolved yet.

I ordered excite standard range in September and after 4 to 5 shipment arriving in it now looks like march for my car, the things is this is my first dealing with MG and it not being good as can't get any communication for reason for the hold up very frustrating.

and the worrying thing is after i get the car they could be the same to deal with if i have any problem with the car, at the moment i wouldn't recommend MG to anyone

has there really be 4 to 5 shipments (I was under impression one in December, and another sometime around now)? I get the impression MG haven't been very forthcoming with details on what is and isn't on board the ships which is poor, however, I've also been very unimpressed with the honesty of the dealers (i.e. I had to get very - very - pushy/difficult for the dealer to eventually acknowledge the situation - I was one of the very first deposit holders in mid-August and still don't have my car) - I know it's another factor that when I do go to upgrade in a few years I'll likely go to the direct-sales model (i.e. Tesla or Polestar) so that I can deal with the manufacturer directly and not this third-party in the middle.

I'm not too concerned on the oil or under tray issue - I'll be giving the car a detailed inspection, and I know that the oil issue is much - much - rarer than the initial/original batch that the UK got. We see all the complaints online but don't see the happy drivers - it's always too easy to focus on the negatives!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

New niggle; the 80% charge limit seems to reset itself occasionally. Woke up to find the car still charging and was at 94% SOC.

Did the app update maybe, and reset to 100%?

2 big MG shipment from china to Belgium and mg distribute around Europe from Belgium so smaller ship drops Irish cars over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Seemingly, MG are carrying out a huge system update at the moment and none of the dealers have any idea what is where with it. The update has not gone according to plan (I read this on a post in the MG UK Owners forum) so it might be another while before it is complete. The hope is that the new system will give dealers a view of where the cars they have ordered are within the system.

If there are 2 large MG shipments coming to Belgium soon then that may include the cars for anyone who ordered in September, November and December here. I imagine anyone ordering after that date will be waiting until some time in Q2 or Q3 this year.

It is quite frustrating having to wait so long for the car to arrive but at least I didn't order a ZS EV last year. There are people still waiting on them and there is no date for their delivery. My dealer was telling me that he had a ZS on the books since November 2021 and still no idea of when it was coming in!

News of people pulling out their orders here just means that there will be more cars for others further down the list. At the moment, and in this market, the car will sell to someone else and the dealers know this. It also means that the "cancelled" order can be sold for more since the price increase has been applied since the beginning of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Android app hasn't been updated since December. I have restarted the Infotainment system (press and hold Home button for 10 seconds) a few times to resolve an occasional issue with bluetooth connectivity, perhaps it is being reset as part of that.

I saw that too, but I understood that to be MG UK's system for registering vehicles with DVLA rather that a global view of the vehicle supply chain. Maybe I picked it up wrong.

@Miscreant Don't think there's been a price increase here though, definitely seen it mentioned in UK and Spain - I'd say any increase here will wait till after current orders are filled at least so there's no confusion or issues with consumer rights.

Also with Govt grant changes in July that'd be a good time to change prices as they could partly blame it on Govt

Okay, issue occurred this morning and I was able to do a bit of testing. Bluetooth audio was connected but wouldn't play. Checked charge limit was set to 80%. Restarted Infotainment system. Bluetooth audio issues fixed, but charge limit was reset to 100%.

MG Ireland better get a move on with rolling out R33 Infotainment update.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Just out of interest- what’s the issue with this?

Do you not want to charge the battery past 80% for longetivity?

It only applies to the LR models with the NMC batteries. They don't like to be left sitting at high SOC for long periods, hence the 80% charge limit for routine charging. Doesn't apply to the SR models as they have LFP batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Looks like this company are looking to create a "Frunk" for the MG4 at the moment. They are based in Galway: Home | EV Accessories Ireland

Apparently there is a Facebook post and a video of the 3D scan being carried out: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=720384702965826

Finally got around to assembling and testing my DIY V2L cable with the MG4. About €60 all in.

Why get the long range if its best to change to 80% for battery longevity which give you 360km range and the short range is 350

• Advertisement

You charge to 100% when you need to for longer journeys, otherwise charge to 80%.

I knew I'd only be tipping around this week, so it would be a couple of days before the SOC dropped below 80%.

Advertisement