Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right to a house?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

Exactly we need to be able to inform ourselves. I would not like to be relying on boards for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Have you checked on daft? People say we have housing crisis yet we have houses dotted around ireland which are on the market for years, nothing wrong with them apart from location

Nobody was taking advice from the banks, the banks just provided money.

The majority of the advice was coming from people all over Ireland who wanted to "get a foot on the property ladder". The crash happened and the plan was not to allow that to happen again by introducing large scale rental for one.

Yet here we are today and people still talk about "getting a foot on the property ladder".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Of course it is a personal decision. Just reminding you of what you said. So which is it buying a rental property is a risk or not?

Should be rewarded for taking a risk?

You do understand people had to approach the bank to ask for money to buy properties? The banks didn't advise people to do it they just explained their options with the bank.

I keep an eye on property locally and property has increased at least 25% where i live in the last 2 years. I know a few peoplw who borrowed from banks just because it was available. I borrowed myself but all went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i have up to and including a level 9 in primarily engineering and science based topics, thankfully this has equipped me with an understand in whats called 'complex dynamic systems', of which many, including myself, believe provides a far more in depth understanding of such social and economic matters, whereby many, again, including myself, beleive offers a far more comprehensive understanding of such issues, neoclassically based schools of thought continually overly simplify such matters, and tend towards poor, even dangerous outcomes

other elements probably come from my personal experiences, i.e. a lifetime of struggling with mental health issues etc, interactions with such services, and a lifetime of deep personal research, which is common with my fundamental disorders, ive contemplated such issues from childhood, again, common with my disorders, and have luckily interacted with well experienced individuals, some confirming my views, also confirming so via respected research etc

its always extremely important to remember, institutions such as academia play a critical role in such understandings, but can also be extremely limited in their abilities in doing do, and sometimes in fact induces completely wrong summations of such outcomes and issues, i.e. academia isnt always right, in fact, it can be very very wrong at times, but still plays a critical role in our societies....

• Advertisement

So nothing in the fields you claim you understand better because you think your knowledge is transferable. Yet you know how economics is taught and the content. You didn't even understand somebody implementing a policy doesn't write it and has no input. People agree with you because they don't want to argue with you and you are taking false comfort and reassurance from a social nicety.

I was thinking you were on the spectrum and this pretty much confirms it. It explains your whole tone and lack of comprehension

Society hasn't/isn't collapsing it is just changing as it always does.

There is an element of risk in everything, risking your home for profit would not be for me.

People have different attitudes in all of this. I was talking to an EA when i viewed a property a few weeks ago. I knew the history of the builder who went bankrupt a few times, the propert was being sold by bank in a current bankruptcy.

I was just saying to the EA of the history. He said in a way thats a positive thing as the bank sells and new owner and things move forward.

Why don't you just retract what you said about it never being a risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

You get a real pick'n'mix of different opinions and assumptions all right.

However many people were encouraged to become over-leveraged in 2004-7 by the mainstream.

Both mainstream and 'alternative' advice can be bad and deceptive.

When it comes to making money, I think you need insight to avoid falling into traps.

Like a magician telling you to 'Pick a card, any card' but subtly directing you to a particular card, certain ideas for making money are put out there by institutions, advertisers and the media for ordinary people to absorb either directly or indirectly:

Gambling, stocks, crypto, over-leveraging yourself to become a LL to name a few.

I am talking for me, what other people want to do is ok by me. Be careful you will get run over by a car.

• Advertisement

What mainstream? Individual responsibility remains and you actively had to something yourself. Blaming the banks is just to say these people weren't good at being adults

The big point is people did take risk and have been rewarded. Some people think seeing as the landlords took the risk and provided a service that the landlords should have the property taken away or decide what profit they should make.

That simply doesn't seem fair to me

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭MakersMark

It can only be a good thing that 3rd generation work shy layabouts get a constitutional right to a house paid for by decent hard working people.

We live in an upside down world.

How about requiring something in return for all the free handouts?

No that is what you are doing now. I reposed your comment saying you NEVER saw buying rental property as a risk. You do see it as a risk so why stand by your initial comment?

Anything i have ever done in life was completed before i told anyone and i picked a few cards, lucky i suppose.

I never considered anything i done a risk, its likely that i have secure employment and would be able to survive.

Do you understand English?

I leave it there but you sound really boring

It's not a question of blame but simply of recognising that banks have only their own interests at heart.

Yes those individuals were to blame - because they trusted and took advice from banks, advertisers, newspapers (like the Irish Independent), TV presenters etc., etc. without realising that these entities were playing them.

Mainstream meaning a well-known respected person or institution, e.g the 'Paper of Record', a popular radio presenter people refer to by his first name, a TD etc. These people/institutions are in the "main stream" of Irish public life.

I meant to comment on this earlier, especially where the 4 family members are working from home. This is the kinda thing i am concerned about, not argueing aboùt risk. I just want us to find a way where families like these have options.

My opinions are for me, you may be right i may be over-concerned for the youth of our country and i have being told by a friend who has 2 girls renting Dublin/Galway and i think i am more concerned than he is on this topic. I dont think i fit the COWARD as i take on anything.

Its not a discussion for me just my opinion, you can choose for you etc.

Whom ever didn't/doesn't know the banks only look after themselves fails as an adult.

Those individuals are to blame for not choosing the right advice.

I was here and for every advice to take out greater loans there were equally people saying it was a bad idea. There was no mainstream saying go get more debt.

I remember Eddie Hobbes was doing a show on RTE. He was with this family where the people got a council house cheap as long term residents. They were blowing their money as if they were loaded. He sat them down and explained what they were doing and how it would effect them if they did nothing to stop it. By the end of the show they had taken another loan out on the property and ignored his advice. This was on when the "mainstream" were apparently forcing loans on people.

David McWilliams was very vocal too. The papers warned people about losing trackers mortgages as did the banks and if it wasn't for that judgment that changed the whole game people would have had to live with their choices.

As an adult you should learn not to give into pear pressure.

• Advertisement

Don't waste my time, i was right and it has being proven, off with you i do not want to talk to you.

That was me responding to somebody else unless you are using 2 profiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Ray Palmer accusing someone of having multiple profiles. Pot, cattle , black

They do have options. One of them is looking to move out but outside Dublin as she doesn't need to live there for work. Are you really saying you want them to have a specific option you haven't named? WFH could hugely change the whole market.

The thing is the civil service are being told they must come in to the office one day a month so they at least have to come to the Dublin office once a month. How that will workout is anyone's guess but it should alleviate some pressure in Dublin along with the private companies

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Ray, that poster has form, no matter how many times an issue in the airport was explained by everyone else on the thread, he/she could not understand it. You will be mad with yourself for engaging.

If the 4 of them happy to work and live at home great, i got the impression from your post not an ideal situation.

Once they are happy with arrangement great.

Can you now go back and remove you mistaken comment

I think your the one who is mistaken by not having respect for the opinion of another poster.

'I was here and for every advice to take out greater loans'

So you concede that that advice was given by some. Great.

Indo were pumping out rubbish right up 'til the end.

Eddie Hobbs reappeared on the cover of Sunday Indo recently with a sob story about how losing his investors' money gave him depression.

They take people for fools.

Many people unfortunately lack the confidence to go it alone or to buck conventional wisdom or discount self-promoting 'financial experts'.

• Advertisement

I see others views of you are correct. Keep yourself to yourself I won't be engaging with you again

Advertisement