Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right to a house?

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You are right. Regulation cost money. When you regulate costs go up.tge consumer then pays extra. Look at telecoms, energy, security etc. Regulation me er makes a thing cheaper

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Go live in LA for a month...then come back to me.

If you are not prepared to live with the homeless on YOUR street ....you gotta sort out the homes.

And yeah after paying for my mortgage i don't want to have to open the front door to a tent city. I don't want to have to deal with human waste on the streets. If you feel content to live like that you might want to visit a third world country.

Maybe we can live in gated communities but good look trying to get companies to come here to this island if town is overrun with the homeless issue.

How do you expect companies to get workers if workers can't live here?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 catmandont

The hotels have been turned into refugee centres.

The refugee centres have become waiting lists for social housing.

Homes have been turned into commodified assets to suck exorbitant rents.

Tents have been turned into the next generations forever homes.

Each and every last element of dysfunction is connected to migration. Anyone who tells you different is profiting off it or an imbecile.

100% increase in non-ukrainian refugees since last year already, the Ukrainian refugees, and that doesn't include economic immigrants.

Right to a home? You'd have a better chance of getting a home in Ireland if you weren't Irish. It's utterly out of hand now.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

We need to get 560,000 units for the Ukrainians first then we can tackle our own housing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

yawnfest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,274 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Depends on what part of Galway they want to live in, few reasonably priced houses out my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Feck off. Just because you hate migrants/refugees doesn't mean everything is their fault.

There is no other EU country that's in the same situation where we are. Every single part of the country is screwed. And yes, in most european cities people can afford a small apartment. Maybe not in the city center, but nearby. In Dublin, even satellite towns in nearby countries cost a fortune.

We've under invested in housing, we've had a bad housing policy and we've even got crappy public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You missed the bit where I said they would be legal to rent here. Most German rentals would not be legal as they don't provide white goods. Spanish "apartments" would legally be too small in many cases by Irish law. Italy similar size issues, my relative live in Rome in state subsidised housing with 2 children in a 2 bed. Here that would not be acceptable by the HSE for social housing.

There are differences to a lot of European countries but they aren't all better off compared to Ireland just different. Evictions are a lot easier in most other European countries reducing risk to landlords. You may also have to provide 3 month rent + a deposit. Cherry pick what you like but they aren't directly comparable on one factor.

And as well you rent most properties in these countries completely unfurnished , cleaned top to bottom and painted and you have to give back in exactly the same way. Deposits are much higher as well.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Tenants don't have immunity from consequences in other countries should they trash a property

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

There are just too many people . The population is growing exponentially . Tech bros driving around Dublin in brand new Teslas pumping out the latest Kailash Kher hit.

Dublin in particular is turning into San Francisco. Its not a good thing for the average Joe and Mary Soap

And it works. In my last apartment in Ireland I had to call the landlord repeatedly to replace the couch that came with the place because it stank of piss.

Over the course of a year here, if we include furnishing the place, I still pay less than I would in Ireland. If I was in a similar location to where I was in Ireland, about 30km outside a city, I'd be paying far less. Probably about 40% less.

About 1/4 of apartments here come with white goods. Mine did. Dishwasher, fridge, cooker etc came with the place. I did have to buy furniture. And I decided to buy all new. So I spent a couple of thousand in Ikea. But like I said, over 12 months, I'm still better off.

There's a massive market here for second hand furniture. Loads of websites and actual markets. I didn't go that route because I didn't have time and mainly because I don't speak the language. With Ikea I could just order and chose my delivery time.

Ask anyone who's renting what they'd prefer, affordable stable accommodation or unaffordable with whatever furniture the landlord decided should be in there and I can tell you what they'd say. Plus it's a bit of a red herring. It's not like Irelands landords are squeezing tenants for rent because they're struggling to recoup the money from the second hand couch they put in the house. It's not like there's a shortage of apartments because a landlord needed to chuck in granny's old coffee table.

As for deposits, yes they're higher. But there's strict rules on what the deposit can be used for. Far more than in Ireland. I had a landlord withhold deposit once because they smelled smoke. No-one there smoked. No-one could smell smoke. But the landlord said they could and therefore deposit was gone. Claimed the whole place needed to be repained to get rid of the smell. I asked for reciepts from teh paining and they never provided them.

In germany there's far more tenant protections. I believe there is across most of europe. Do you have a source that shows otherwise, especially for ewestern europe?

BTW, I went to an italian property website. Here's a 100m2 apartment, in Rome, with furniture. 1100 a month. Thats affordable for two people on an average salary. And it's more than you'd get in Ireland in the same position.

So I'm not sure how "Italian social housing has smaller apts, therefore Ireland should have more expensive apartments" really works as an argument.

Landlords have much better protection in most of Europe and as such tenants have less rights than they do here. Stop paying your rent here easily takes 2 years to remove the tenant with no pay back. That means costs of renting here must consider it. Higher rents as a result.

Social housing standards are a higher requirement here. They will not give you a 2 bed if you have 2 kids here you need a 3 bed. I have recitatives living in Rome and you might want to look at employment there. It is close to 10% unemployment and it is difficult to get a job if you don't know somebody. I know a lot of Italians moved to Ireland because they couldn't get work.

You will find if we require 3 bed places and Italy requires less rooms and space it is cheaper for them to provide it. Not sure how that doesn't make sense to you. It isn't an argument it is just stating the facts standards were raised here above their standards and more expensive as a result. Labour, insurance, materials etc... all cost more here on top of the higher standards. If we reduced our standards and gave better rights to landlords rent would be cheaper and that is how rent is cheaper elsewhere

Then your comments regarding Italy are irrelevant to the point I was making. The point was that people on an average salary can afford to rent an apartment in Italy, or Germany, or pretty much every European city. the apartments will be larger, cheaper and the tenants will have more stability. I'm not talking about social housing.

Just because landlords can get rid of a tenant who doesn't pay doesn't mean the tenants have less rights. I'm more secure here. As long as I pay the rent the landlord can't just raise it because he feels like it. He can't kick me out because his niece wants the place. Sure the landlord might have more rights with regards to non paying tenants, but I have far more rights and stability that I would in Ireland. It might take years for a landlord to get rid of a non paying tenant, but likewise it can take a tenant years to get back deposits or make a landlord do repairs.

One of my lights here is flickering. A friend pointed it out when she was visiting. I said I know but I'll get around to fixing it soon. She used to live in Ireland and just laughed and said "This isn't Ireland, if you tell the landlord somethings not working they'll send someone around the next day".

The Irish rental system is dysfunctional. It needs a complete overhaul. People should be able to afford a decent place to live. It shouldn't have the stress and strain that comes with it. Yes landlords should be able to recoup damages but tenants need far more protections and rights as well. Trying to pretend that it's normal or functional or to be expected is just crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

again, im not sure id call this exponential, strong growth maybe, but not exponential....

tis indeed, very strong growth, but that makes sense, as our economy has rapidly grown during this period...

So when I tell you a police sargent and UN translator couldn't afford private rent and were given social housing below our standards that isn't relevant? When I tell you they have hugh unemployment that doesn't come into any factors. I tell you the property is smaller in european cities you just say they are bigger than here. I have been in these places and know rental standards required here and can see they are not legal for here but you want to ignore all of this.

If you can be kicked out for not paying rent you have less rights than here as a tenant. That is more rights for landlords than here and less rights for tenants. There is no way to twist that to say tenants have more rights there than here. It is a known issue with banking and mortgages increasing the price of business in Ireland.

Landlords can't just raise the rent here even out of RPZs.

I certainly want a tenant touching any electrics and pay for an electrician mostly because of the insurance risks here and legislation. Tenants have destroyed many things by "fixing" themselves and never letting me know. There is a perception problem with many tenants who are afraid of landlords due to morons telling scare stories.

What is dysfunctional is expecting provide landlords to provide social services housing. Landlords are not the cause of the issues you are complaining about. To make it function more rights and protections are needed along with the state providing it's own housing. The problem is people like you want the landlords to pay for all the changes while they are already paying massive tax rates. I pay 57% on rental income with all taxes added up. What tax are landlords paying in Germany? It's at most 45% but most would be 42% or 15% less tax than here. So why are rents higher here?

Aye. There is too many bodies knocking about the place. See San Francisco to see the future of Dublin

...but again, this is exactly what the private sector is suppose to do, in relation to modern political ideologies, i.e. be able to provide us with all our needs, including accommodation, and its clearly failing, and dramatically so....

• Advertisement

The private sector are in no way supposed to be provide social housing. The name is "private" sector gives the game away. The problems are a direct result of failures from the government and local councils who still don't draw down money they have for housing travelers. Private landlords aren't failing anyone because it is not their responsibility to subsidies housing. You may want them to but nobody asked them to and they didn't agree to it. Don't worry landlords are walking so you will have less and less people to blame

I'd need to see more detail regarding house builds and population growth from say 1985 onward. Glancing at it, it's more of an exponential increase as opposed to a linear growth, but it's hard to tell.

And why did it stink.of piss. I suppose you will tell us it was the LL that urinated on it.

You are not factoring in the risk the Irish LL's carry. Most LL's caught with below market rents are owners with 1-2 properties who are really only interested in getting a decent tenant in who will look after the place and pay the agreed rent.

Is there bad LL's there yes there is but a lot are fairly decent. But government intervention over the last 10 ISH years has skewed the market completely in the tena.ts favour.

Across Europe the risk is lowered by more rent in advance and larger deposits. Here often HAP tenants have there deposit paid by SW and/or charities. As well as maybe the first month's rent They have no skin in the game.

As well LL's have no obligation to house social welfare tenants. .

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

Well they work Ballybrit so I expect within half hour driving be good, any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

I was 33? On to the third house now and still not 46....

But of course you are right and also yes the smartest people I know are those on unemployment/disability. Well they certainly believe they are and maybe so...

Post edited by jim-mcdee on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Delete

Advertisement