Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andor [Disney+]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,863 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I don't want it to go anywhere near romance and mental torture can be far more scary and disturbing than physical.

I'm also pretty sure child me would have loved this show. Child me loved Robocop and Terminator which were way more violent.

Ya either "released" prisoners were going to a different prison or being killed. And one accidentally went back in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Serkis stuff was so good this week. You could see him constantly wavering under Andor’s badgering but always pulling back, until that final reveal pushed him over the edge. A great performance matched with great writing, leading to a very well-earned character moment and dramatic cliffhanger. It’s especially impressive given last week there was no reason to believe the character was much more than an Imperial bootlicker (plenty of them in this here show).

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

He definitely lucked out because he worked on the Clone Wars cartoon. I'd love to hear what he thinks of Andor, I wonder does he think it's gone 'too far' !

Slightly off topic here, but I've been kind of feeling a bit sorry for him since that Tales of the Jedi cartoon series was released last week. Apparently he retconned a gay character, and is therefore homophobic so is now facing the wrath of a certain corner of Star Wars fandom. Jeez, whatever happened to just liking a show for its entertainment value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I dont think this show has been that popular with many people saying the story is too slow. If its too slow for adults, it would definitely seem slow to children. Like the last episode was very sparse in terms of action, even though it was a good episode.

• Advertisement

You are not giving children enough credit I reckon. There are ones who will love it and others bored the same as adults.

Honestly I never understood this constant obsession with "pacing". I think a show is either good or bad and if it's good i don't care how long it takes to get from A to B to C.

Pacing, especially in netflix shows where they extend light storylines to too many episodes really bugs me. It is crime Andor is being watched less than even Bobba fett, but i guess it was built around a character with not a lot of name recognition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s a shame that streaming services are so secretive about viewer counts, because we can only really work on anecdotal evidence.

I will say this has been very warmly received among the cinephile circles I follow online, but a other people I’ve spoken to in real life barely know it exists. I’ve also spoken to people who are really burnt out on the series after Boba Fett and Obi-Wan and have no interest in any other Star Wars show (very fair!). TBH, I nearly skipped it myself until a few reviewers and people I usually trust gave it ecstatic reviews - glad I listened to them!

Do we actually have viewing figures to support that ?

My only gauge for these things are here and one other forum and practically everyone loves it. I doesn't seem to be moving beyond its own niche market but that's fine for most sci-fi.

Its a tv series that lacks quintessential star wars elements like jedis/siths, aliens, major characters from the first three star wars movies (films 4-6).

There are nielsen viewership figures for Andor out there so perhaps Disney is somewhat less secretive on viewership than say Netflix. It is clear, as even Disnety have admitted it that Andor is less popular than their other three star wars shows.

• Advertisement

That's a pity. I can't see any way Obi Wan or Bobba Fett could be considered better shows so ya maybe it's the lack of recognition.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

This show is the king of the slow burn.

Treating every 3-4 episodes as a mini block so those stories are given time to logically breath, and the characters motivations have time to change logically

• Registered Users Posts: 32,274 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Feck me...this is really top notch stuff. This week's episode was terrific again.

The cast and acting is terrific but Denise Gough is really turning into the standout. Her and the Kyle Soller character are well matched both zealots and psychopaths (in fairness his ma isn't much better)

The only weakness acting wise would be Mon Mothmas daughter...the actress is awful...it's clear she is going to stick a spanner in the works at some stage.

RIP Ulaf...only 40 days left as well.

Bix not having a good week...shades id clockwork orange.

Andy Serkis character looks on board for the break out!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Not a Star Wars nerd so only came to this after Rings of Power & GOT finished.

Loving it so far, even more the last 2 episodes with Serkis.

I'm sure there's a million easter eggs I'm missing.

Thankfully not many Easter eggs at all. It doesn't need to be relying on the memberberries like weaker shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,423 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd say if the writers are clever and when this series is finished the easter eggs from this show could be found in Rogue One on second viewing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

AFAIK there have been a couple of very "deep cut" easter eggs from the Expanded Universe canon, but mostly just passing names during dialogue scenes. Nothing that'd confuse, but the kind of eggs that make long-term fans go "ooh!"

I only just checked, but I was right: I spotted the Sankara Stones in Stellan Skarsgård's shop (the McGuffins from Temple of Doom)

There have been some and thankfully they are proper old fashioned hidden Easter eggs and not the "every character is related to a famous one" shte that the likes of Star Trek have been doing.

The catspaw dagger in HotD really annoys me more than it should too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,283 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

we have already had an obvious easter egg with a character from Rogue One working on the same table as Andor.

Post edited by ohnonotgmail on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just on the question on popularity and worry about future episodes: by chance I saw a reference to this interview, published yesterday, with Tony Gilroy where he openly talks about directors for Season 2. So unless things swing wildly in another direction he obviously has been given the nod to start work on a second season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What an excellent episode. Loved all the prison scenes and I thought the way they went from the Woman being tortured back to the prison seems was excellent too. Great ending. I guess your man realises he is not going to get out either. What is Andor at when he goes for his run? Is he trying to make a weapon when he is cutting the pipe?

I can see some of the prisoners dieing whenever jailbreak is attempted. Maybe that is for the season finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭xper

Ah, it’s Disney/Star Wars. I think it would be more jarring if it was flat out HBO levels of sex, violence and potty mouth.

we’ve had couples climbing into bed, people being shot in the face by the protagonist , albeit off camera, creepy stalker talk and “bastards”. That’s all pushing the SW boundary a bit. Baby steps.

the most jarring thing I seen all series was the toilet bowl in the latest episode! A jacks in Star Wars!

edit: of course they’ve yet to top the incestual snog in the original trilogy

You are probably right, and Marvel and DC have produced some adult shows that haven't all been good, like DC's Titans. not all adult shows are HBO classics like Sopranos or the Wire. If people are being killed i just think its weird when no-one curses, not even once. Its like watching the toothless new terminator movies.

I hate the Lucas idea that star wars is made for 12 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,014 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Thank christ there's none of that Stormtroopers can't shoot straight bollocks in the show.

I fucking hate that crap.

A guy got "released", but actually didn't. He ended up getting revolved back into another section and was recognised. So they killed the entire block to prevent word getting out that none of the prisoners are every getting out.

Personally, I'm not too sure how that would have worked anyway. Surely the guy who was (not)released would have blabbed in time to his fellow inmates?

Edit - basically what others have said...LOL

He only said that because people were ripping the prequels to shreds.

His original intent for Star Wars was never exclusively for 12 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭midnightblue

Will definitely be rewatching Rogue One after S1. I think I'll be rewatching Andor as well, which I've only done for Mandalorian from all the SW shows so far.

Denise Gough is soooo good as Dedra.

I assume they were getting "released" to another prison, killed or maybe that prison has some horrible pit level you never get out of. But this one guy went to the wrong place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm liking it. But I would also agree with the criticisms.

I think Rogue One and Sole did the "serious" start Wars better. They retained all the classic Star Wars elements much better. Andor doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Oh, TBH, I don't necessarily want to see a HBO-style Star Wars series. I too think that would be too jarring. Certainly no "Game of Sith Thrones" Rapey-murder show (As I heard Thrones described). I think Andor is striking the right balance. And you can do a lot at that level as we have seen. Again, I don't think ALL shows should be that. There is space for all age groups.

And, as for the views: While streaming platforms are secretive about their numbers, they can identify to the exact number, the amount of legit streams. I mean they'll have their server logs (As opposed to torrents, illegal streams). I believe it has been greenlit for 2 seasons (Yeah). And, does it need to be dragged out longer? We know where it's going. We know Rogue 1 is about 5 years later (Episode 1 opened with the statement 5BBY - Before Battle of Yavin. Destruction of Deathstar). So yeah, that'll do

Star Wars: Andor Boss Says Season 2 Is Entirely Planned Out (cbr.com)

Advertisement