Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andor [Disney+]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,847 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I don't know I think Andor might die and come back as a clone or have robo legs like Maul 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 32,274 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I really enjoyed the big callback in this week's episode to Lucas's dystopian THX 1138 film. I had only rewatched it fairly recently, so it hit me straight away. There has been a nice retro vibe to many of the scenes in Andor, especially with the excellent electronic music that has been used, so this was a nice nod to that.

I thought there was real feeling of hopelessness in that prison. The sense of time just ticking over day by day, task by task, was well captured. Nice to see Andy Serkis back in Star Wars.

Andor is a special show, I'm so glad it got made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

The quality of actors playing minor characters in this show is very good, reminds me of game of Thrones, really fleshes out the world. Serkis was very good in the episode.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I was looking at one of the reaction videos on YouTube and one of the guys named at the prison table was also a character in Rogue One. Good to get hardcore fan insight now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, another great episode. Luna did great work with minimal dialogue. Watching the look on his face from confusion to calculation (As he watches the disorganisation as he is lead to the workfloor) to the despair as he looks at his life now... When queuing in the tunnel and seeing one of the others repeating their moves. Then you saw someone in another tunnel doing the same and you thought "Oh, are they signalling to eachother?" Then thinking "No, they are just literally going through the motions"

Knew Forest Whitaker was coming up as I think it was teased in some trailer (And makes sense). Then BAM! Andy Serkis.

Then back to Fiona Shaw and his friends and the awesomedroid "She has b b bad knees" Just such a simpe line and for some reason still great.

Then to security guard. Pathetic little man with his (No doubt "tailored") extra-wide tie thing. (Loved the retro monitors he was using at his job)

It does seem a bit convenient that his face has not turned up on the Empire database. Even if he is under a different name and world. But that's only a matter of time and I suppose, apart from the security guard, he wasn't really on the Empire's radar.

They keep bringing in Mom Mothra's daughter when she is with her friend. I presume the daughter will inadvertently throw a bit of a spanner in the works by assuming they are having an affair and kicking over a bit of a hornet's nest.

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Acosta

Yeah, the music is class.

There's nothing about this that doesn't impress me. The characters, acting, writing, sets, camera work, story..all top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Great interview with director Toby Haynes. What he says just echoes everything we're all talking about in here. It's all so refreshing.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/andor-episode-8-toby-haynes-forest-whitaker-stellan-skarsgard-1235250954/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just watched cpusode 8 there now and episode 7 this morning and zi must say they were two brilliant episodes after the disappointnent that was episode 6.

I had almost gave up on it but decided to give it one more go and am glad I did

Anyone any idea what the prisoners on Nimius 5 are making.

I can not wait to see how Andor gets out of this. Its going to have to be very inventive and skilled. Jeez you would be a robot after doing that for 6 years. The Empire would probably make them stormtroopers then is it no wonder stormtroopers aims are so crap lol and that they can not think for themselves must of them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It's for the empire. I was more like.. I wonder what weapons these are parts for 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Think this one bit "make a show that isn’t hyperaware that it’s Star Wars" sums it up, let's just make a good show, with a good story and screw throwbacks and easter eggs!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,258 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Prison episode was great.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Easter eggs used to be fun very background stuff but went way overboard and a ton of different shows developed "small world" problems where everyone was related to or a call back to someone.

For what purpose was C3PO built by Anakin or Burnham a Sarek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bit salty but saw this in passing. It's not wrong, even if I appreciate Filoni's work.

I does seem a bit desperate to cram as much of the cartoon stuff into Mando as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,012 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's bang on really.

Filoni has always been a bit of a chancer AFAIC. I've never bought into his status as the next "star wars big guy". He should just stick to the cartoons and let others do the live action stuff. That way his input is limited to the kids content.

Yeah, that discordant music was really uncomfortable - Sounded like it was out of tune/speed. Very unnerving.

I don't have a problem in general with cameos as long as they make sense: Luke/Asoka in The Mandalorian make sense: Grogu is Force aware so it makes sense that Luke would know and seek him out. But entwining SO MANY makes the universe smaller rather than bigger. As I said before, there is a place for both - Andor's (slightly) more distant and (slightly) more "grounded" aesthetic and Filoni's cameo/spin-off riddled aesthetic. There is room for both.... BUT I know which I prefer and season 3 of The Mandalorian really REALLY has its work cut out for it. It shouldn't necessarily turn into "The Andor-lorian". I mean it probably has a younger demographic but it (IMHO) needs to be less episodic that the first couple of seasons (Especially S1)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭Glebee

Another great episode, really loving this show. Hopefully future star wars follow suit and try to match this.

Yeah that prison episode was really very good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’ll be a bit bummed out when the prison arc ends because it has been an already excellent show at its very best IMO. It has given the writers and Toby Haynes they space to really expand on the show’s central ideas, in particular how people live, interact and resist in the face of authoritarian rule. The filmmaking is really bloody good in those prison sequences - twitchy, nervous and tense.

Two brilliant episodes in a row. Also love how they’re handling Syril Karn’s character - how they show him as this snivelling little imperial bootlicker, even going as far as introducing a creepy sexual / humiliation fetish element to his new-found obsession with Meero.

• Advertisement

Major Partagaz: "Dedra, I'm getting increasing numbers of reports from across many sectors that our Stormtrooper combat firing accuracy isn't exactly what we'd call up to snuff. When we get this nasty Axis business put to bed, maybe you'd like to try your hand there to see if we can't make some improvements, eh?"

Whole different set of films.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

That ending of episode 9, such a jaw dropper, so many cogs turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

9: Ooof. This episode threw me out of the immersion a bit. It regained the feel of itself by the end but I think it could've been done better.

That headset torture device.. what a dud looking contraption. Every single scene showing it could probably be cut and the episode would be better for it.

The Coruscant and Mon Motha scenes leaned back towards the feeling of the rest of the season so far and the Prison and the performance from Serkis really pulled out the recovery.

The simple solution I think would easily just be not to show the device. Leave it to the imagination. Dr Gorst would have been enough of a threat with the before and after scenes. It was even there on the display with the meeting with the head of the ISB. He didn't say "UNLEASH THE HEADPHONES!!!".. no.. instead it was Dr Gorst by name.

Bar that mis-step, the story continues fine. At this point, I'm thinking..

the close of the season is going to be aiming at either a big gathering.. or a big bunch of separate gatherings of Rebel groups in a way that lends the idea that these will be the ones who become the core of the Rebels.

These prisoners could easily be one of the groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,278 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

We already know that one of the prisoners end up on Scariff.

Mother f*&ker with your 6 minutes of credits, at the end. I thought there was loads more and they leave me hanging like that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Episode 9 was brilliant. Loved and I mean loved the ending when Serkis finally answers the question. This show is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

The prison scenes were very good- but it is a bit jarring how noticeable its a very adult show (as in well written) shot like a 1940s movie- no blood in killings, mental rather than physical torture scene, no romance scenes. no cursing, homosexuality hinted at but never explicitly. This show will not be interesting to kids so I wish star wars would take some risks.

Another good episode. Maybe not up there with the highlights of the season but still a solid episode.

I actually had no problem with

the torture headset

I thought the doctor's monologue was sufficiently creepy :)

I tell ya, yer man's mother (Karn, it is?) His mother's head is going to be on a stick by the end of the season. But even that is well portrayed: His interest (obsession/"love") for Dedra. Even though (BECAUSE) she treats him like dirt.

I love all the scenes in the Empire Boardroom. the casual, official, almost bored way they go about their business is mundane-ruthless. I'm reminded of that terrible "Street fighter" movie. As terrible as it was, it had an amazing burn from M-Bison (The baddie) to Chun-Li (The goodie): For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.

In the prison, did I mishear/misunderstand:

It sounded like the doc said that someone from one other group accidentally was sent back to a group that knew him or something? As if, when people were "released" they were simply being rotated to another group? I may have misunderstood and haven't had a chance to re-watch yet)

I did love the last couple of lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,278 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Somebody was "released" but was just moved to a different floor. Somebody copped this so they killed the whole floor. Nobody is being released. Hence the change in attitude from Andy Serkis.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's what I gathered (May want to edit that to Spoiler it)

Advertisement