Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andor [Disney+]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

That was brilliant

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I had the same reaction, his build up to shouting out in the calls was epic and when he did break, that gave me goosebumps. Funnily enough the intercom speech was good and all, but seemed a bit out of place in that we have had little sentimentality, it seemed a little too dramatic, but understand that it serves a purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Who wrote the Serkis & Skarsgard speeches, that level of writing is top drawer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Not a 'slow start' as such, as that suggests boring to some, which it has never been. More of a phased beginning, but has ramped up right up with heist, Coruscant and prison storylines, culminating in a fantastic latest episode, with Serkis dominating the screen, only to be matched by Skarsgård's contribution towards the end.

Really enjoying the feel and tone of this, the mature and political themes, the exploration of the Rebellion's formation etc, and probably because I had quite low expectations, I find myself looking forward to each episode which is something that could never be said about Disney's other output. In fact, it really shows up how poor their efforts have been. The Mandalorian, which has never been more than hot and cold for me, the awful Boba Fett and the lamentable Obi-Wan have really been shown for what they are by this up to now, and with a couple episodes to stick the landing, I'd be hopeful for the quality level to be maintained and set itself up very well for its second season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Disney have decided to put the first two episodes this on TV and Hulu in the States over Thanksgiving to get more eyes on it.

It will now also air on ABC, FX & Freeform along with being available on Hulu.

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I know it sounds a bit crazy, but I'm really going to miss this when it concludes. There have been other series that I've really liked, that when done, you feel satisfied and then forget about until the next season. Andor reminds me of going to the cinema, and for 2 hours you totally forget about everything going on in real life, work pressure or anything else, as you get absorbed into the story. For a 'TV' series to have that effect is pretty remarkable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's not crazy: this show has single handedly revived my interest in this universe, and the belief it has the capacity to tell interesting (and more mature) stories within it. I was done at Obi-Wan, this show quickly became a Best of the Year contender. Maybe even best of Star Wars.

It's well written, well acted, looks great too; I've really geeked out at that fancy rear projection system used by Mandalorian etc but this show has shown there's no substitute for epic, sweeping locations and crafty cinematography.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Its not just in comparison to other Star Wars it's also very good sci-fi. Lower Decks is its own special thing and SNW is great but mostly in a throwaway sort of way same as Mando. Andor is probably the best thing since the Expanse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't think that's an outrageous call; I'd say Strange New Worlds has been highly enjoyable, but in the sense of it being a light & fluffy show that rekindled the notion of Star Trek as a show about Adventures in Space. As you say there tonal comparison is probably The Expanse with it and Andor sharing similar altitude of quality.

It's good Sci-Fi because it remembers two core ingredients: first, the people inside it are still human beings, as opposed to Plot Delivery Devices; and second, the "Star Wars" is not the foundational element to the story. It's garnish and flourish - but not like something you see from Dave Filoni, where the canon is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So episode 11 this weeks'

Fact this is the only thing I can complain about this episode say how i liked the rest of it.

What did people think about the short space battle, kinda jumped the shark a bit for me. The start was fine, breaking the tractor beam was good and done in other sci fi even other star wars, but the super solo turret and then the flurry with the laser were a bit much. I can see why you'd have laser like that, could fly around a bigger ship cutting into it like a sci fi version of the ww2 german upward-firing to fire up into the underside of bomber as they'd pass them. But the use there was a bit over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,404 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Episode 11. Excellent...yet again! It felt too short but that is a sign of the quality for me.

The Kleya character is really interesting I hope she gets some more screen time.

RIP Maarva, I felt genuinely sad for her droid Bee, I like how the producers didn't go with some cutesy design as well. Bix looks to be in a seriously bad way...final episode of the series to be a breakout along with the funeral?

Mon Mothma (O'Reilly really is fantastic) might as well get the annoying bloody daughter married off I suppose...she is in real real bother you feel.

Syrils mother you can see where he gets his slimeyness from...I doubt she will give him another chance

The empire are slowly closing in on "Axis"...Kreegyr suspected by ISB..Luthen letting him burn yikes ruthless. That is one fancy ship he has! Swords out of the wings didn't see that one coming! Liked that sequence. He certainly walked the walk this week.

Quick question the Narkinians why did they save Andor and his mate? They seemed to change their mind quickly. They kinda odd almost Cornwall/Bristol accent threw me a bit.

Only one episode to go...kind of gutted...but hopefully it is a bumper one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

11: That ending .. like a one - two combo.

High off the ship with.. lasers?lightsabres? .. that was cool

but then oooff.. Diego Luna with Andors reaction to the news. Like a punch to the gut!

Good episode.

Next one is the season finale. Same writer/director team Tony Gilroy / Benjamin Caron.

Well that's gonna be something!

Big fight and ambush when this Anto Kreegyr goes down. Maybe a big event at the funeral for the mother. Mon Motha picking which fork down which road.

Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Another good episode but I don't think anything could beat last week's excellent prison break out episode.

Strange alright that the Narkininans let Andor and your man go. I guess they did not need the 1000 credits each. I was sure Andor was going to say he would give them more but never did.

Loved the ship and the battle

What a ship.

That empire ship do was seriously ugly.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

11 for 11, so hyped for the finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,354 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It seemed to me they hated the empire more than they wanted the money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Relikk

That empire ship do was seriously ugly.

First seen in Solo. It's an Arrestor class Star Destroyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Good place setting episode for the Finale. I did feel the Luthen Saw scene, as amazingly acted as it was, felt a bit redundant. Could one of the previous Saw/luthens scenes not have been used to introduce us to Kryger making Luthens sacrificing of him even more effective. Or switch the roles completely around and have Luthen initially asking Kryger to take part in Saws operation, and let it be Luthens decision to sacrifice Saw to keep his Mole safe , that leaves Saw more machine then man in Rogue one(assuming the cartoons haven't filled in that detail)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It was a decent episode. I liked the ending. The music in this series has been very good. Hoping the finale delivers.

Episode 9 down. Weirdly, while I wouldn't go so far as to admire or empathise with the ISB characters, obviously, I kinda respect the diligence and ... professionalism(?) of it all; they seem ruthless but competent as well. We're so far removed from snarling jokes like General Hux or incompetent stormtroopers with no aim. The whole season so far has felt like these ISB guys are slowly chipping away and defeat - or at least repercussions - feel inevitable, which is a good way to emphasise the hopelessness of this world; as Skarsgard's character noted, the empire chokes slowly without noticing.

Though I do laugh at the irony at how the Empire already have Andor but don't even know it. As the man himself said, they don't care once they have you; the empire dehumanises so much they can't see the detail and their own bureaucracy is a crutch. Their indifference to even keep photo records is saving his life.

The prison stuff was so sad. Not least the double whammy of the old guy, then the realisation there is no escape. What a world they've drawn here, it's utterly magnetic.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Something to tide you over until the finale!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Very on the ball review of the series. Has an equally honest review of Ring of Power linked in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

**** me.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

What they said.

Words escape me, Best show out there right now. Visually stunning. Brilliantly scripted. Flawless acting. Resounding music. And that finale......I'm breathless. Also, stick around for an after credits scene!

I've really liked this YouTube essayist, whose videos are often thoughtful and considered. He praises Andor and really articulated why the show has worked so well for me, just on a cinematic level, in terms of visual storytelling.

There's a texture and feel to the thing, both in big ways with its locations, and small with its commitment to tactility in its details. All building out this more rounded, breathing world you can believe and feel invested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,404 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That was a terrific finale, for a series that got better and better, probably one of if not my favourite shows of the year.

Fiona Shaws speech was spine tingling.

I am glad Bee made it.

The marching band gave me brassed off vibes lovely stuff.

I knew Bix rescue would be the main focus but it was well done.

So Mon Mothma knew she was being spied on so used the fact to blame her husband for the missing money due to gambling (even though he wasn't ha)? That's the daughter rid off as well bonus.

So they played the guy who was spying and purposefully gave him incorrect info on where Andor was?

One small question how did Andor find Axis ship?

Syril saves the day! The creep.

It's a shame we didn't get to see anything of the Kreegyr character.

That post credit scene was terrific...good to know the prisoners parts are helping out...yikes!...plans for the death star link into rogue one...amazing

I thought Syril and dedra were going to get it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

First.. and pretty importantly.. Don't Miss the Post Credits Scene in the final episode!

Alright, so that's season one done. Well wrapped onto itself and setup grand and proper for season two. Good performances from all but standout moments from Stellan Skarsgård and Andy Serkis.

Only weakness I found in it was the

Torture Headphones!! Oh they threw me for immersion anytime I was reminded of them. Only shown in like two scenes. If someone was watching and could just skip their reveals, I'd bet they'd have a way better experience with the season.

12: This episode was grand for me. Didn't top some of the earlier ones but did what it needed to wrap the season and setup a season two.

Solid setup for Cassian into working with Luthen. I think Luthen saw it in Andor at the end there. That he felt they were alike, now both fully committed, losing and leaving everything else but the cause.

Dedra and Syril.. I assume going to be getting closer.. but will they stay baddie or quit .. or turn.. hmmm.

I did like how Mon Mothma setup the gambling of her husband as the reason her money is gone funny. Could be funny if the empire tried to get at her using it but she could possibly double-agent the whole thing.

Future: Yes! Season two! Roll it on!

Advertisement