Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andor [Disney+]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Another great episode.

Mon Mothma was fantastic "And smile..." Her dancing around the subject with her old friend. Each trying to feel the other out before going further. Very well written and acted.

And Fiona Shaw was amazing. What a scene with her and Andor. Her wanting to fight and cheering on the heist. Him involved with the heist but without her conviction. (And the brilliant Droid. Can you imagine if Lucas had done this? Would be an OTT comedy humanoid droid going "Oh no. Roger Roger" etc)

And Metro's "This wasn't a heist. This was an announcement".

For the briefest moment at the end I thought that was the last episode. It made no sense (Timelines didn't work or anything) but I just thought, wow, what a way to crash-stop and lead into Rogue 1.

The security guard story is great too. His mother? Jesus. No wonder he is the way he is. And the whole affectation with him tailoring his outfits. What initially looked like a kind of Rimmer thing from Red Dwarf now looks quite pathetic. As his mother said, an attempt at "Look at me. I'm better than you"

I didn't recognise the rebel leader when we saw her all glammed up. Will be interesting to see what her real story is.

I was kind of thinking this earlier but he is SO smug, it's hard to say.

So this show is pressing all the right buttons for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Only up to Episode 4 but loving it so far. Did anyone else pick up that name drop by Cassian about being on Mimban. I knew it sounded familiar and sure enough it's the same planet/war zone where Han ran into chewie and Woody Harrelson Beckett in Solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,404 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Another excellent episode this week.

I am not normally a fan of flashbacks, but wow that one was so well done and added to some real texture.

The supervisor meeting...tense and acid tongued...loved it!

But to be honest lots of great scenes and brilliant dialogue.

"I won't have peace I will be worried about you all the time"

"That's just love"

Fiona Shaw utterly fantastic, Genevieve O'Reilly outstanding (though I don't think I would trust her childhood friend..).

I am guessing there was a time jump to Andor and his holiday resort (from hell!)....6 years yikes!..I am guessing the episodes left in series might focus on his breakout. Is the droid that arrested him the same type that was an ally in rogue one?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Eventually they'll be hacking one. Don't know if that's the specific one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I knew there would be a thread on Andor somewhere, and here we are.

I just wanted to put pen to paper to say how blown away I am with the series, it has not missed a beat and really can't be compared to anything else that has come out (in my casual Star Wars fandom). I love Mando and loved the comedic nature of Grogu, Obi Wan was interesting, but was more nostalgia than anything else. Boba Fett was garbage, but assume we are all on the same page regarding that. But Andor is so well produced, acted, shot, sets, I could go on. Even with other series I like, I'll pick up my phone without even thinking during less active scenes and browse something, but not with Andor.

As it is the most recent episode, number 7 did not disappoint in every scene, there were some really tense moments, as well as heartfelt. 'That's just love', what a real gut punch, hoping that Andor would leave accepting why it had to be that way. A personal favourite of the episode was that cut to Niamos, the music and shot of the birds, just brilliant. Actually speaking of music, I've got a hint of Daft Punk from Interstella 5555, just odd bits of digital music that sets a tense pace.

So, overall, 13/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's a completely different ballgame for sure, and one that I'm loving because it's the kind of thing that I've wanted from Star Wars for a long time. 'Rogue One', I felt, was probably the best thing Star Wars since 'The Empire Strikes Back' which serves as the high water mark of the series and 'Andor' has continued the thrust that 'Rogue One' had, in that it's Star Wars grown up. I know that's a bit trite at this stage, but it's true nonetheless. The characters, scenarios, plotting, scenes are all way above the average Disney and Lucas productions that it puts a lot of it to shame, especially the 'Obi-Wan Kenobi' show, which was mostly pants.

It's, easily, the best acted Star Wars TV show that's been made so far too. There's rarely been a foot wrong, if at all, and even the secondary characters are interesting in their own right. So much so that you actually want to know more about them, as opposed to the usual Star Wars penchant of shoving back stories in your face whether you're interested or not. Hopefully, 'Andor' is the new benchmark for Star Wars TV and Disney continue to follow up what they've done with it. This is the way... 😁

As to the music, that last scene in ep7 was as odd as fook. Not objectionable, but still kinda WTF? The music, too, wasn't anything that I had ever heard in anything Star Wars before so it caught me really off guard. Sounded more like something from Mass Effect. But, in any case, the episode ended brilliantly. The ending being another push for the character in the direction we know he eventually ends up going in.

'Andor' is probably, no actually, the best thing on TV at the moment. So much so, that I find myself in the position of not being able to wait for next week every time an episode ends. That's not something I've been able to say about a TV show in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Hope I'm not jinxing it but the lack characters to appeal to the children is a great plus. Ya there is a droid but used sparingly.

No Jar Jar, soccer ball droid, Ewok, annoying child Leah, dare I say it even Grogu.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭Glebee

Only on episode 4 but this is excellent, way better that any of the other Disney SW shows. Must be the darker edge that it has.

Post edited by Glebee on

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭winstonia

I actually don't rate the guy who is playing Andor. But everything else about it is spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 5 down, and it did feel like a touch of wheel-spinning going on, framed around it being the day before the pivotal robbery. No, it wasn't very action heavy - if at all really, beyond the effective jump scare that are the TIEs - but damn if the time wasn't spent wisely, fleshing out all the main players on Planet Bonnie-Scotland. Or indeed those on Coroscant, about to commit to a path they can't walk back from.

I'm officially fascinated at where they're going with the old CorpSec officer though; it was very hard to read how he'll figure in all this, but just watching someone hitherto so jumped up, squirm and be demeaned so openly by his own mother? That was a level of depth and emotional complexity I don't think I've seen with Star Wars before. A touch of the Lucille Bluth with mum but damn, again, it was so effective. I can't keep singing this shows praise; it feels bordering on gushing at this stage. I'd struggle to find a bum note - even Andor was given a bit more shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just watched ep 6. I think that could have been the best star wars I've watched ever. The tension was brilliant I thought. Excellent stuff.

Honestly can't tell if that guy will turn hero or psycho Andor hunter.

^

If I'm reading things correctly he'll, probably, get some juicy info on Andor which he'll use to curry favour with the Empire in some way. He seems the sort that would never be able to let something go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Indeed, it's one of the many positive aspects of this show, really leaning into a degree of mystery in its cast; while I'm a couple of episodes behind ye all I've no idea how this character will swing. I could just about envision a scenario where he reluctantly joins the rebels, just to screw over the Corp/Empire who screwed him over his job - though he's only where he is 'cos of Andor, so that path reads a tad less believable than trying to jump back on the ladder of Authority.

Also, dark horse for biggest villain has to be Mon Mothma's díckhead husband; what a total piece of affected-civilised shít. There's a man who simply pivoted to the new reality of the Empire and said F You, I'm OK.

...it's the kind of thing that I've wanted from Star Wars for a long time. 'Rogue One', I felt, was probably the best thing Star Wars since 'The Empire Strikes Back' which serves as the high water mark of the series and 'Andor' has continued the thrust that 'Rogue One' had, in that it's Star Wars grown up. I know that's a bit trite at this stage, but it's true nonetheless.

Agreed. I keep harping on about how I'd love a series set in the Star Wars universe that did NOT REVOLVE AROUND the Jedi or Sith or any established characters from the trilogies. A cop show NOT on an Courosant or f*cking Tatooine. A crime show. A political show. Here we have all three (And yes, I know Mom Mothra is in the original but you know I meant no Skywalkers or Solos or whoever. As I mentioned before, I'd even have no problem with Bail Organa cameoing as it would make sense).

I'm of the camp that doesn't have the hate that many do about the prequels/sequels. Yes, I grew up with Star Wars but the prequels/sequels didn't "destroy my childhood". As a matter of fact, I thought the 2nd sequel was really interesting (And then abandoned). I didn't necessarily like the tone of some of them (The droids in the prequels for example) but I understood that I was 8 when I saw Starwars and Empire... (This is not a dig at fandom. I promise. Just saying where I am coming from)

But I do believe we CAN have shows of different genres and for different demographics in the same universe. I would love to see a PROPER cop show set in Gotham. )Not that terrible "Gotham" show). One that is about street-level cops with vague references to the more fantastical elements of Batman universe: Think NYPD Blue where the cops aren't all fans of a bunch of vigilantes running around and the escalation that can cause. I would also like to see something similar in the MCU. I enjoyed Falcon and The Winter Soldier's tone. It shared the same universe as Thor Ragnarok and Guardians and even The Eternals. And why not?

So yeah, I can understand that an 8-year-old might be bored stupid by Andor but that's OK. There is plenty more that they WILL enjoy.

TLDR: There is room for more grown up shows like Andor AND, hey, "Yoda The Explora" for pre-schoolers :) and everything in-between.

This risks exploding the thread into off-topic fighting over a well-trod subject ... but I do maintain a healthy belief Episode 8 will earn retrospective praise in another 10 years; once the anger and emotion wanes and people come back to it. Heck of late I've see a small but vocal component defend - and even praise - the prequels - if often for intent if not execution. If the prequels can earn some deference, so to will Episode 8.

Episode 8 had some egregious problems - not least the constant shift to really terrible comedy - but in some small respects, it kinda shares that thematic notion you hint towards: that dynastic lineage isn't important in this universe. Rey discovered she was a nobody; that her hunt for familial ties meant nothing against her own agency to forge her own future ... ... oh wait, no. She's actually a Palpatine! It's all connected!!

I just hope with Andor, there's an actual audience tuning in to validate Tony Gilroy's direction. I'd hate after this absolutely stellar show Disney+ look at the numbers and discover nobody actually watched, or liked, the thing. Or the Twittersphere have dumped on it 'cos it didn't feature enough space wizards and laser swords to placate those who love the whole "It's that guy you remember! Please clap" phase of nostalgia.

Oh and now that you mention it, a Cop Show in Star Wars would absolutely rock; again we kinda had that in Andor for a spell with the Corporation Security. They obviously operate like a privatised police force - what would that be like?

Yoda the Explora sounds amazing. Going round teaching kids weird phrases instead of Spanish.

TLJ was a bit all over the place but making Rey "no one" was one of the best decisions in Star Wars in ages and then they fk it up for the memberberries.

Yep. I remember thinking that was FANTASTIC at the time. That could have been brilliant. Just a randomer.

And yeah, I really hope it's doing well. I haven't looked but I haven't heard any push-back. The biggest complaint seems to be that Andor himself isn't exactly likeable. But then I read that as he really shouldn't be likeable. Not at this stage. He's not in it "For The Cause". He's in it for the money. At MOST, to just stick it to the Empire. But he's not a rebel. And I find even THAT refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

8: This episode was excellent! I really want to see the next one! The story build up is so good. Also, talk about bringing out the big guns!

Andy Serkis and Forest Whitaker just casually dropped in! Serkis did a great job as that prison foreman/manager and Whitaker brought Saw right back. I did start thinking on Jyn then with Saw appearing. Damn, imagine a Felicity Jones cameo!

Anyway.. storywise.. a real wake up for this being just the begining .. full on reminder of the Empire and showing the oppression. Solid!

Have to give a shout to Nicholas Britell, the composer for the series. That separate a different and grim music in the prison. On point! Kind of started remembering the work camp/prison at the start of total recall because of it.

Well so.. that's the start of the Triology of episodes from writer/director Beau Willimon / Toby Haynes.

They'll be leading right up to the penultimate episode! I'm thinking things are gonna get serious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I liked the latest episode. The prison scenes were interesting and it's nice to to see more of Bix.

Next few episodes could be a tough watch. That prison is a pretty horrific place to live mentally and that hotel on the planet has awful South American junta vibes about it.

Watched Episode 6 and phew, what a rush. All that build up, all those pieces put together and the execution was just as tense and exciting as you might hope. Surprisingly unsentimental too: the casualties happening without fanfare or a lingering camera on a tragic loss - bar the one at the very end, when the first little seeds are (perhaps) planted about Andor stepping up and caring about a Rebellion. I do love a good heist sequence; there's just something so inherently cinematic about that whole concept - and when executed well are some of the more arresting set-pieces on TV & Film.

Oh and another first for Star Wars: its first heart-attack! The Base's administrator just collapsing from the stress and exertion of it all was quite a moment. I almost felt sorry for him and his family - even if he was a very low-grade of evil. Which again, speaks to the brilliance of this show. Evil isn't always operatic or melodramatic, full of snarling villains we can easily boo. It's cunning and manipulative in a very mundane way; the Empire shunting native populations to camps, then getting them drunk & distracted so they don't waste time with their customs or rituals. It's fiendish, and believable.

Loved the four armed doctor. That's be super helpful for a surgeon! And the FX were subtle but really worked; I was never distracted by the FX - in fact I was wondering if this was a practical effect or CGI, or some mix. All 4 arms seemed reall. It did also remind that across the whole series so far, we've seen precious few Aliens. It has been a very human-centric series.

Oh and my favourite little detail was a tiny visual moment at the end, during Mon Mothma's interrupted speech. Did anyone else notice how empty the Senate looked? the prequels had this giant hall of debate and noise; thousands of species all working in harmony. Here, Mothma gave her impassioned speech to rows of empty benches - a really simple but effective way to demonstrate how Democracy was dying in this world. Slowly, subtly, the wheels of normalcy disappearing. You can see why and how by A New Hope the Senate was finally dissolved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Loved episode eight. It's great to see a show reinvent itself every few episodes with clear, interesting new story arcs. But the design of the prison itself was what really impressed me. You have this curious mix of slick, bright design and absolutely torturous, oppressive technology keeping the prisoners in line. It's an elegantly-realized example of hostile design - all its shiny walls masking the sinister nature of its operations. And the filmmaking lived up to it too - especially in those hurried, stressful sequences of the prisoners at work, where even the jittery editing choices underline how they're always just one slip away from punishment.

It's the first time in any of these shows that it feels like we're getting a proper expansion and deeper understanding of the depths and subtleties of how this galaxy works and how its people live.

Loved the way Saw Gerrera was just appears in this episode. When the camera panned by TwoTubes, the thought they might include him immediately popped into my head and we end up with a great cameo which was not only fan service done correctly, but also served to expand our understanding of the various infighting spats that the Rebellion submit themselves to.

The despair of the prison life that Andor now finds himself subject to, as well, was a great insight into how life under an increasingly heavy Imperial heel feels like to ordinary folk, criminal or not. Also made me wonder how many people who were fighting for the Rebellion against the Empire were former criminals, some of whom would have engaged in some very serious crimes?

Did anyone catch the list of "rebels" Sol called out.

I think I heard : New Republicans, Separatists, partitionists, human supremacists and he himself seems to be an anarchist.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,404 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Episode 8 was another excellent one imo. The scope and scale of this show is terrific, it really does look fantastic.

This episode moved things along really well can't wait for the rest of the season.

I am really enjoying the politicing scenes with Mon Mothma...still not trusting that mate of hers... gossiping about palpatine ha.

One great thing is you feel like everyone (bar Cassian) is at some kind of risk/jeopardy.

The dread when Andor was looking around in the workshop and when lining up! The cells and that whole facility is really well done, the hot floors eek.

I always felt like the Niamh Algar story would link into the Syril character. I like how they didn't go for the obvious bring him into the team storyline. Algar (sorry Gough) really is top notch in this like she is in everything fecking nasty piece of work and she plays it brilliantly.

Nice to see Andy Serkis popping up as well as Forest Whitaker (wasn't this character in Rogue one?!?)

More Fiona Shaw as well, yes please! I worried we might not see much of her again or indeed Ferrix.

Post edited by gmisk on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,353 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Loved episode 8. The music in particular is fantastic. Very gritty and unsettling. Nice to see actors you know as well. In particular the guy who played Jez in gimme gimme gimme. Plus the old guy on andors table that I have seen in a lot of stuff

Fiona Shaw checking on tunnels...

Definitely going to be mounting a rescue for one last hurrah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Algar really is top notch

Denise Gough you mean. So many Irish actresses in this it's easy to get mixed up...

Advertisement