Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murders of two gay men in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

And she has comments blocked so nobody can disagree with her, its baffling how that one ever got elected but I doubt she will ever get back in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Jizique

People who don't agree with your beliefs are "nutjobs"?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,912 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hate crimes do not exist in Irish law at present. They exist as a concept. Your point doesn't make sense.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Caquas

The point I made is factually correct. The definition provided is an explanation of the concept not the law. Legally hate crimes do not exist in Ireland at present. There is no current hate crime law on the statute book.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

My point remains - the Gardai said these murders were “hate crimes” but that tells us nothing significant about his motives.

You said Palani didn't admit to a hate crime. That makes no sense. There is no such thing legally. Your point makes no sense.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The people Grayson was calling nutjobs have well earned that description.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Imagine being brought up as a Muslim and then having to accept that you yourself are gay. I wonder if his campaign of murder was an effort to “cure” himself of that which would surely see him expelled from his own community.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Glurrl

The money he had suggests something else going on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Re the large quantity of cash found - Years ago, mid 00's, I was in a taxi (Dub) driven by an Iraqi - Had perfect english and as we talked he revealed (a bit rant like) that he'd a really big important job in Iraq and insinuated he was loaded back then, ending with 'and now I'm driving a ******** taxi'

The conclusion I came to was he was ex Ba'ath party and used to be a player in govt - What I'm driving at is that not all Iraqi's that fled Iraq were farming peasants or stall holders from downtown Baghdad - That taxi driver probably had a nice wedge stashed somewhere too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,886 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Regardless, keeping it in a bag would indicate that there is possibly at least an element of non-disclosure going on. There are also laws pertaining to import and export of currency

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Really no different to Christian or Jewish. It's forbidden under all main religions.

Like any other religion you either accept yourself and move on or you dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

No different if you compare respective holy books written over a thousand years ago

very different in terms of 2023 societal attitudes, being gay in Iran is a different kettle of fish than being gay in Cork

I disagree. I'd wager there's not many devout Christians living an openly gay life.

Same as other faith's. $hit don't go together really.

This case had everything

gruesome murder details

Victims all gay

inordinate sums of money found at killers property

yet the media covered it in the most peripheral fashion as if it were a mere run of the mill story of murder

Absolute nonsense , gay Christian’s don’t have to hide their sexuality as a safety defence

First there was Grayson saying Palani is not a serial killer because the FBI says serial killers must have at least three murders (as if the FBI controlled the English language and Anthony Burke didn’t count 😡)

Now you insist there is no such thing as “hate crime” because the phrase is not “in Irish law”.

There seems to be an inverse correlation between the weakness of any proposition and the determination of people here to insist on it long after they should have understood their mistake.

I assume you mean “hate crime” is not defined in Irish law and, yes, I know the hate speech Bill has not yet passed. But here’s the good news - and some worry that the Bill may change this - we in Ireland today can use words which have never been used in legislation or even in an Irish court. This website should shut down if that were no longer true.

And “hate crime” is exactly what the Gardai called Palani’s murders. If you don’t like that, take it up with the Garda Ombudsman but don’t try to censor me.

My point is that the Gardai have told us nothing about Palani’s motive because, for the Gardai, “hate crime” is so all encompassing and subjective that it could be applied to almost any crime. It certainly is not limited to “homophobia” (Is that in Irish law? If not, your hands will be full 😜)

I added the point that Palani confessed to murder, not to a “hate crime”. So we know nothing officially about his real motives, despite what the media say.

And the Gardai tell us he was not “radicalised”. Now there’s a word the FBI seems to control, I never heard it when we had all sorts armed groups with radical plans for a United Ireland. And how much more radical can you get than chopping men’s heads off?

Post edited by Caquas on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 CatLick

Palani killed two gay men and tried to kill a 3rd. That makes him a serial killer. And if he was a white Christian than the mainstream media would be all over it like a rash. But of course he isn't so they aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

After reading the examiner article, I am left wondering how the hell the family got citizenship? Do we have no standards at all? Just stay 5 years and don't have a criminal conviction? It is absolutely baffling, I have no idea why it is thought to be a good idea to be flinging around citizenship like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Every country that has the death penalty for being gay is Islamic , many more like Iraq are currently moving to bring in laws that restore the death penalty for homosexuality, usually it does not get to trial as the family or the community will have killed the person first.

It wouldn't even have gone to trial in Iraq.

It's a paltry defense of it from you.

I'm not defending anything. It's a fact that all mainstream religions consider homesexuality a sin.

Countries in the middle ages (east) habe not evolved as much as western societies to where the church has had to come round to the idea of not burning gays at the alter.

It's not religious it's societal. All religion's are against it.

Maybe not now in Ireland but you don't have to go back too far to when they did.

Terry Pratchet

At least you've stopped trying to block the phrase "hate crime" but now you don't want me to say "censor". 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

If you were compiling a list of most homophobic countries in the world, Muslim majority countries would dominate. Not getting away from that. Perhaps a few Christian majority countries in Africa would feature but Muslim majority countries lead the way. Maybe that’s just a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

I can’t fathom how you can grant citizenship to anyone who hasn’t a reasonable grasp of English or less likely Irish. There might be exceptional cases where this requirement could be waived but most people are well capable of gaining a decent grasp of the language of the country in which they reside and want to obtain citizenship from. Be very surprised if either parent here had a competent level of English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

No you’re quite wrong about Christianity. Catholic gay people are very welcome as long as they are celibate. It’s homosexual intimacy that is a sin.

For Muslims the homosexual person is to be eliminated.

But in Islam anyone or anything who isn’t a Muslim is to be eliminated.

The stated objective of Hamas for example, amongst other things, is to rid the entire world of Jews. You won’t find that anywhere in Christianity, or anything like it.

Advertisement