Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murders of two gay men in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

There was a reference on RTE news the last day to the effect that the killer claimed he was not gay, but that Gardai had evidence to the contrary. A hard one for me to Google.

Where I am coming from is that, deep-rooted, it may have less to do with religious beliefs, as historically, many notorious killers of gay men, have themselves been gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

From a criminal sense it's not a serial killer. I'd say that there's no difference psychologically. If there's a serial killer ward/wing, put him into it.

What gets me about these definitions is the fact that he's considered sane. When anyone does these kind of acts, there's normally something very broken in them. I think in this case, he should be placed in a secure unit in a mental hospital and be given daily treatment and counseling because at least in that was we might eventually learn what drove him to it.

I say this because although we'd see groups like ISIS attack gay people, this guy doesn't appear to have been radicalized. So I want to know why he did it.

So people from Roscommon aren't Irish?

If we get to say that Irish people are the people who hold views we like then can we kick out large portions of the catholic church? And the Iona institute? And Conor McGregor? (I have no idea if he's homophobic, I just want to see him get kicked out).

At some point in a united Ireland we might have the DUP being Irish. Should we refuse them citizenship?

As disgusting as I find their views, they're all still Irish.

Weirdly, it's the far right that would like your idea. The guys who protest outside libraries and don't want children learning that being LGBT is ok. They're also the people that want to ban all refugees who have a different religion or different coloured skin.

I like Ireland because we're not Saudi. people can hold a view that's different and not be kicked out or jailed. We are a tolerant country. With the exception of a few right wing nutjobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I’ll wager that you’re alone in that curiosity. Given the cost of living and the state of services in this country, the last thing the hard-pressed Irish taxpayer desires, is financing daily treatment and counselling for this depraved animal.

No Grayson, the primary concerns around this case for those of us actually resident in Ireland are 1. ensuring that this individual is never permitted to walk in our midst again 2. preventing this creature from ever harming another Irish person, particularly those that are 100% Irish and gay 3. understanding why this family, none of whom appear to be gainfully employed, or otherwise contributing to Irish society, has 375K squirreled away under their mattress 4. validating why this clearly disturbed family (see article in the examiner) was ever permitted access to Irish society.

It really doesn’t take a genius to figure this one out. The guy was in an ‘online relationship’ (whatever the hell that means) with a transexual woman in Thailand. His family did not accept the ‘relationship’. He is clearly a repressed homosexual who despises his own sexual proclivities, driven primarily by a religion that reinforces the belief that he is a sinner and unworthy. Instead of using that 375K to self-finance treatment, he instead unleashed his fury and self-loathing on three innocent local men who had the misfortune to cross paths with this despicable character.

Get him off the streets and remove him from society. Do this in a manner that minimises the cost to the Irish taxpayer. That’s the bottom line here. There are also serious questions to asked about that entire family and some rigorous probing of their financial affairs is clearly long overdue. If one positive emerges from this entire case, it may be that this ‘clan’ feel induced to relocate elsewhere.

Yes, he is considered sane. And he doesn't need anyone else to "radicalise" him, he can radicalise himself through his own actions.

He is fully responsible and was consciously aware of what he was doing, planned it, and executed the plan. He wasn't under the influence of drugs or anything of the kind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I think when someone commits a crime that shocks a great part of society people want to believe that there must be something wrong with said person for them to have committed said crime. But if he doesn’t meet the criteria for mental illness after assessment then he is most likely as sane as you and I. He might be assessed further in prison though.

“2. preventing this creature from ever harming another Irish person, particularly those that are 100% Irish and gay”

Lovely.

A lot of serial killers were found sane enough to stand trial. But I'd still say there's something broken in them.

A lot of them were diagnosed with conditions that might have explained their motivations or lack of remorse, but they did not qualify them as insane.

• Advertisement

To be considered legally insane a person has to be unable to tell the difference between right and wrong and has to be able to know that it's against the law.

That means that people with severe anti social personality disorder, or psychopathy or sociopaths are legally sane but there's still something very broken in them.

It also means that the vast majority of serial killers aren't legally insane but let's face it, they're severely mentally ill.

Do I really have to? Those who are 100% Irish have a higher value than others? At least you don’t mince your words

Who did Palani specifically target? It was gay men whom he questioned to validate that they are 100% Irish. So yes, in this particular case, they are the most vulnerable cohort and ought to be prioritised.

Did you do any background reading before jumping in two feet first ‘Jequ0n’? Course you didn’t..

I’ve read enough of your contributions on this thread to see what you driving here. The only one who mentioned “100%” Irish was you.

The person who mentioned it was the perpetrator - Yousef Palani. You know, that depraved animal who murdered the unfortunate victims.

Do some reading ‘Jequ0n’ and then come back when you have something of merit to contribute.

I read “Irish”, not “100% Irish”. Which source was that because I didn’t read every article on the case. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭dmakc

Examiner for one, along with numerous other outlets

Thanks, then I take it back. I had just read “Irish” not the 100%. Apologies @Hamachi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Caquas

He is considered sane because he understood what he was doing and knew it was wrong.

Unlike “serial killer”, insanity is defined in our law (not by the FBI) which is fortunate because the term is so widely misused. Almost all murderers could be called “insane” in the sense that they are acting irrationally I.e. the killing rarely benefits them especially if they’re caught. But society rightly demands that killers are brought to justice. Palani tried to fake insanity which shows how deceitful he was even after his arrest. Can we believe anything he said?

So the law says Yousef Palani was not insane and common sense (but not the FBI, it seems) says he is a serial killer but we still don’t know his real motives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

We have a fair idea of his motivation Caquas, he was projecting internalised hatred on to others in the most extreme and gruesome way. Muslims can't be Gay, so in his head he had to kill sinners- Gay Irish Men- to prove he was not gay. The man might not be judged to be legally insane, but it's safe to say he is severely unhinged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

What does the Irish element have to do with the story though? What relationship does that have with his self-hatred?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

He said in interviews he was targeting Irish Men. Who knows why though. He may have been attracted to an Irish man at some point, hence gay Irish men then becoming the focus of his hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

He knew it to be legally wrong but did he believe it to be wrong?

This and many other depraved things is what happens when people put the laws of an imaginary man above the laws of man.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Caquas

I wonder who is projecting here? 🤔

The media tell us he was motivated by homophobia. They think the Gardai confirmed this when they called it a "hate crime" but they are wrong. Palani did not admit to a "hate crime" when pleading guilty to these murders, so all the Gardai are telling us is that somebody (perhaps a victim) perceived that the murders were motivated, in whole or in part, by

hostility or prejudice, based on actual or perceived age, disability, race, colour, nationality, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or gender.

You have a more nuanced explanation - you say Palani was "projecting internalised hatred" because "Muslims can't be Gay" but that is just psychoanalysis. I am asking what was his motive i.e. what was his aim or purpose, however bizarre or irrational, as he pursued this gruesome campaign? No doubt his thinking was clouded by many emotional factors but I am not interested in his inner demons. He understood what he was doing but we don't.

I want to know what Palani told himself that he was going to achieve through these murders? This must have been an extraordinarily powerful driver to commit a series of unprovoked homicidal attacks of such brutality. A motivation so powerful that he would have massacred at least a dozen men by similar means if he hadn't been caught i.e. if his first victim had not miraculously survived.

Could we handle the truth?

It may not interest you, but it is by exploring his inner demons we may find out the why. So psychoanalysis is very relevant to ascertaining his motive. If you are driving at he was solely motivated by religious zeal/fervour to carry out these killings then that seems unlikely based on what we know. I am not surprised he doesn't see what he did as a hate crime, but given the brutality of the murders it seems self evident hate was a huge factor in these murders. It is the job of a Psychiatrist to understand where this hate arose from.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Can Judges give life without parole here like in other countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 thenumber3

So it’s Ireland’s fault apparently? 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,128 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Not that looper again.

Perhaps the Irish are also to blame for the weird and intimidatory behaviour of his entire family since they landed?

It will be interesting to see if they get their big bag of cash back! Nearly 400k in a bag when it appears from the article that none of them ever worked.

Advertisement