Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New referendum on dispora voting due

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Voting is a privilege, not a right

LOL..

Just.. LOL

Says it all about those 'against' this proposal. The Dinosaur class of 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

We could do what the French do and have a constituency for the diaspora. 3 seats that all those outside of Ireland who meet the criteria of being a citizen having lived here within 15 years can vote on. It won't skew things too much but will give a voice to those citizens outside Ireland. Obviously the length of absence would be up for debate, if people feel 15 years is too long, then maybe 10 years.

I don't think referendums should be opened up to the diaspora though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I was away for the gay marriage and abortion referendum and it was all Irish people in London were talking about. The effects they have on a country are not the same as voting for politicians.

Also look at all the people who go to Canada or Australia and know they will return in 2 years. It's surely important for them.

I think 5 years is fair for a referendum.

Except of course if a case goes to the ECJ and they make a ruling against the state, where the state is then obliged to buck up and sort itself out. Again, much of the arguments against this remind me of the old nationalistic attitudes of Brexiters.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I would only support something like this under pretty limited terms.

They must have been registered to vote in Ireland previously ( in other words , have lived here as an adult). I would not in any way support 2nd generation Irish voting in National elections if they've never lived here for example.

They can only vote "overseas" for a limited time , perhaps 5 or 10 years from the date of the last vote they cast as a resident. With that time limit in place it provides for those that are temporarily overseas due to study or work or whatever and that are actually planning on returning.

I'd lean towards the 5 year limit as that should cover voting for a President/Dail that you might actually be resident under on your return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

And if we don't buck up and sort ourselves out, markodaly, what dire consequences do we face?

Excellent post with points very well made.

Your example while recent is a reminder to all that many an Irish family was able to put food on the table and put children through school and College from money sent home by other family members working abroad, mostly from the UK.

There has been a bit of research done into this and it's conclusive that without the money sent home from the diaspora the poverty, illness and death here would have been much much greater. In fact, many say it was the life support of the nation for centuries.

The World Bank estimates that Irish emigrants sent €610 million home in 2012, up from just under €450 million in 2009, and more than double the figure 10 years previously.

With this in mind, Ireland and those who still live here should be on their knees thanking those Irish abroad for their help. Ireland treats its emigrants terribly, that is a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There's not much the State can do if voters reject a referendum. This one would definitely be in the minor tweak can't be bothered to vote category. It's only similar to a Brexit is that such arguments could sway the day quite easily in a low turnout. There is a rump of 20%-25% who will always vote against any proposal so the possibility of it failing rise quite dramatically as they are motivated to vote.

Yet, there is no need for a referendum as there is no constitutional bar to those abroad having a vote. Legally, the Dail could vote this in tomorrow and be done with it.

Well, we could become the next Hungary.... I guess you would be OK with this.

• Advertisement

It's still a question that should be asked of people as it is a fundamental change to the voting system. Nothing like bad, rushed legislation to really get people's backs up. Not sure any party would be prepared to take that mantle on.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think any changes have to come with a revamp of the electoral register to add in those elements that you talk about.

Your Aunt is an anomaly that would be hard to fully legislate for, but I'd support people having to re-affirm their registration status every 5 years or similar.

And that should include providing proof of residence.

Ask the people so they can have a rant and vote it down, to get back at the boys up in Dublin?

Sounds like a great plan. We should put housing as a right and water as a right into the constitution next. What could ever go wrong!?

ROFL!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well if your Aunty is already doing that then her and anyone like her is already doing it so what does changing the rules for other people really change ?

Do you want to indicate either legislation or the bit of the Constitution that allows them to do this legislatively so that we can head off the spectre of your great unwashed offering an opinion on anything?

So posters believe that voting should only be for the people who actually live full time in Ireland?

In that case, should we change the rules to allow all residents to vote in all elections & referendums? Considering that they live here and have to live with the consequences

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Imagine the cost to the state, if say 4 million people in other countries want to vote…

the extra postal costs of sending out and receiving back the ballot papers…storing them etc..

many more people involved in the counting…this modern day inclusivity spoofery….

• Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Take the time to understand what that actually means and the role of the president in how the state is governed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sure, after a reasonable amount of time as a resident. This one we can actually do without another referendum; we can just make the citizenship process more efficient (the €1,000 cost is excessive for a start) and make it clear to foreign citizens that they can have a voice in all elections by obtaining citizenship.

• Advertisement

That would also require a referendum change as well. Incidentally the proposal looks like it would affect Article 12.2 of the Constitution which currently states

1° The President shall be elected by direct vote of the people.

2° Every citizen who has the right to vote at an election for members of Dáil Éireann shall have the right to vote at an election for President.

If you live abroad you can't vote in Dail elections so the presidential is also out.

Probably the same was as the senate vote is done today and the same what as most other countries do it - postal vote.

And you don't understand the actual demand that was being made!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

These things are hard to prove because functionally anyone can "keep" an address so long as they have family here.

There is a more efficient way of compiling a register which can exclude duplicates and shysters, but many won't like it: We use Revenue records. If someone is resident in Ireland, then they will have either collected social welfare, paid PAYE or filed an tax return in the last 2 years. If they haven't, then they probably haven't been here.

For the 0.01% of people who fall outside this (e.g. by being independently wealthy), then they can present proof that they have been resident in order to get on the register.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

As I understand it, a UK citizen who has never been in Ireland can land in Knock Airport and be immediately eligible to be put on the electoral register, but, have no entitlement to vote in Presedential election.

Don't ask me how that's administered, but that is my understanding of their entitlement.

Yeah, that's because of reciprocal election laws here and in the UK on the GE. Think they've been around since the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I'm looking forward to the Presidential election run-off between Bono and Daniel.

Think the wee boy would take it by a whisker.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It kind of goes to show the ridiculousness of the set up though.

A UK citizen with no link to Ireland can land in Ireland and immediately contribute fully to the democratic process from day 1, bar presidential vote (not arguing against this btw, I'm aware of the reciprocity at play).

Yet we have people here flipping the lid at the thought of an Irish person born and bred, lifetime taxpayer and community member, living outside of the country perhaps temporarily for work or family reasons, having a vote while overseas.

It's hard to credit this attitude.

It would be intolerable to have a situation where those living in the country would be governed by those abroad, it is not a stretch for some gang to fire up a bunch of Irish American voters for some cause or other and so on. On the other hand, for those who wish, I think there should be some kind of opportunity for them to participate and be acknowledged, after all we were at one time dependent on the money sent home by previous generations of these voters. Even in my time, unto about 4 or 5 the parcel at Christmas was an important event.

The only country I am familiar with is Switzerland, where I live. Here the Swiss abroad can vote at the federal level, but not at the local level where all key decisions about daily life are made.

I think the office of President is a good compromise, beyond the approval of bills etc, it does not have any role of great importance in the daily running of the state. It is at the same time it is a significant office and it is apolitical, the president represents the country and all citizens, not just those who vote for them.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but we can do exactly the same in the UK, one of the perks of the CTA. The presidential question here is effectively "hardcoded" in our 85 year old Constitution.

Advertisement