Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New referendum on dispora voting due

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Id agree with that. As an Irishman living abroad Id agree that i shouldn't be allowed vote in regional or government elections in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,785 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I’m not sure this is a sincere question? Think about it for 30 seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,683 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ah suddenly they're victims. Such hyperbole....

People keep saying the word seconded. I know many people who took opportunities abroad within their companies. None of them were forced. The term seconded is a bit....

But if we give them a say,it would possibly benefit more and encourage more to return?

Im not seeing the harm really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

You used the word victim, not I.

You'd be surprised at some of the sentiment of Irish who have done well abroad having their social capital tapped by Irish government agencies etc. and have their good-will exploited.

For instance, an acquiaintance of mine (not close to him, just knew him tangentally) was tapped by the IDA to get a meeting with a blue-chip CEO of a household name company for a Paddy's Day photo op.

No-name minister of state was late for the meeting, suspected he was hungover, rambled incoherently without understanding what the company did and made a ham fisted and embarrassing request for jobs.

Photo in front of the company's sign all smiles and then dissapears like a puff of smoke.

Aquaintances attitude? "Never again". Same guy left Ireland in the late 80s without a pot to piss in and left behind a country who's political elites didn't care for his class of people or his potential - and he's not afraid to say so.

People could stand to listen a bit more to the overseas Irish. You might say "f*ck 'em, they left", but a hell of a lot of them have done good turns for the state for little reward, and sometimes to their embarrassment.

Then why prattle on about tax and link it to voting in your posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The longer someone has been out of the country, the more out of touch they are with the reality on the ground, and the less likely they are to vote in the interests of those of us who do live here. The Ireland they know is mostly one with rose-tinted glasses, quite removed from the Ireland that exists now. How many people who emigrated in the 1980s would have voted against abortion or divorce, or gay marriage for example. They may have thought, "These aren't the values of the Ireland I know".

I don't see the logic in allowing emigrants to vote tbh. Elections decide policy within the borders of the country. If that's not going to effect you, then shouldn't be entitled to a vote. I can see why a five-year buffer should be permitted. Someone who's gone less than five years is more likely to return - and be affected by the result of their vote - than someone who's been gone longer.

I'd rather see elections opened more broadly to non-citizens who've been here a certain amount of time. Why can't people who've been here for a decade vote in a General election? The outcome of those votes affects them and their family as much as any of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I gave my opinion. On a discussion board. Imagine that.

All opinions are not equal. You were attempting to draw a legal link between taxation and suffrage. None exists in our constitutional and democratic order.

• Advertisement

Now you are just talking bollix, not once did I say that there was any link, never mind legal, between them. I gave my opinion, using another country as an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'm generally in favour of some of the diaspora having a vote in the Presidential election.

It shouldn't be open to all passport holders, it should be open to those who have been resident in Ireland at most 15 years ago. Someone who has inherited an Irish passport because their Granny came to the states should not have a say in our elections at all if they haven't lived here.

If it were to be extended to general elections I think there should be a diaspora constituency with a max of 3 seats. Again same limitations of Irish Citizens who have lived on the Island not less than 15 years ago.

Ease up on the language.

Your were indeed drawing a link between suffrage and taxation. You're welcome to try to scuttle away from it but it's there for posterity.

How much tax do you pay? Fancy half a vote at the next election because of the size of your pay packet?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,785 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

‘I employ 50 people, they only pay tax because I give it to them. Can I have 51 votes”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Nermal

I don't think the penny has dropped, either in society or in government, that as we are now net contributors to the EU, we have the option of simply not listening to them whenever it suits us.

That's gas tbh. Because I also know a few who done well abroad and are more than happy to sit on boards including Failte Ireland.

Don't pretend it's a chore that's nonsense. Getting 'tapped' up by the IDA isn't as you portray it. Mutual two way jersey wearing is the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Its funny how its ignored that for decades elections were massively skewed by so many young, idealistic, rebellous, disenfranchised people emmigrating - but allowing those people now to keep the vote for a period of time would somehow be skewing (the already skewed through missing young people) elections.

Theres a lack of logic in there somewhere!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭timmyntc

All opinions are not equal.

Agreed - some here opine that non-residents deserve equal say as residents in matters pertaining exclusively to the Irish state!

You'll easily be able to quote where I "attempted to draw a legal link between voting and tax" then, except you can't because you are talking nonsense.

It's funny how it's ignored that those people are now, currently, allowed to keep the vote for a period of time.

There's a lack of logic in your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

voting when you are still a resident of Ireland but abroad for months is not exactly allowing people who have moved abroad to keep the vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Rawr

I'm probably going to regret even contributing to this thread, and this might even be my only post. It's mostly spurred by the notion that an ex-pat like myself who is living in aboard, earning a living in a separate tax system, is somehow not connected to Ireland and is not contributing

I left Ireland during the Rescission to find work with a decent living wage. It had become near impossible to do that in Ireland in my field and so I had a choice between the Dole or getting work abroad, which I did.

During that time, my parents fell into extremely difficult times, resulting in my sending a large portion of my earnings back to Ireland to keep their mortgage going and to ensure that they had enough to eat. Things got better thankfully, but there was a long slog where much of my already heavily taxed income was destined to leave my pocket to satisfy payments to an Irish bank.

In later years, when I was down to one parent I had to start doing it again to top-up my father's small state pension, so he could pay the bills.

I have established a family where I live, so the move is permanent. Many holidays are to Ireland as opposed to warmer destinations, where of course we spend cash. I am however still an Irish citizen and it may still be while yet before I get local citizenship and be able to vote in national elections, I still follow the situation in Ireland and how it might impact the family I still have there.

The fact that I have left Ireland does not mean that Ireland has left me, if anything my separation has made it matter more. The notion that I do not pay Irish income tax on my wage slip does not mean that I don't contribute to Ireland. If we were using money-given as metric surely I contribute more to the Irish Nation that some members of Irish society who would gladly never work a day while they sit in their "Forever Homes" and yet still have the right to vote.

A welcome post and perspective.

It's people like you who left during the backbreaking recession I'm mostly thinking about when I speak of votes for overseas Irish.

There are legion stories like yours.

I recall a relative of mine who did similar in the 80s, moved to the US during that recession and supported his disabled mother and paid for refurbishing her home from working on building sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭tjhook

If a child of mine grows up and leaves the nest, I won't continue to give them a say in what brand of cornflakes we buy in the house. For the same reason, I wouldn't be in favour of granting a say in the running of the country to people who don't live in it.

Because they themselves won't have to live with the results of their choices - but others will have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

That isn't what is actually being proposed if you look at the actual details of it.....

OK, so you also don't want anyone who lives in the country and doesn't pay income tax to have a vote either?

Were you born an Earl in 1820?

Yeap, the best and brightest stayed.... or maybe, not given the tone of some of the posts about this topic. Those that stayed are the dinosaurs here.

Be on the right side of history lads!

Good points.

I don't think anyone is proposing to give a vote to the tens of millions of the Irish Diaspora, so people can put those pitchforks away.

This proposal is for Irish born people who are now residents abroad. There will also be a time-limit of such like most other countries on how long you retain that right to vote from abroad.

The counter to this is the Dinosaur view. Those that will be on the wrong side of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,478 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's 6 months which I believe is very low compared to other countries. I'de like to see it increased to a few years for referendums and at least 10 years for Presidential elections. TDs are supposed to represent the people in the constituency so I wouldn't change that.

And no way should we ever allow people who never lived here to vote.

• Advertisement

suffer the consequences of that

This is an amazing mindset in fairness that must be unique to Irish people. Using the term, 'Suffer the consequences' shows how deeply conservative and negative many in this country are as if going to the polling booth and casting a vote, is somehow going to be met with some penance or service after the fact.

"Only us Irish people can suffer the consequences, not you lads over there!"

It's an amazing insight into the mindset which actually explains a lot about this country and how it is run. The thing is, most people don't realise it.

Advertisement