Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superintending 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

No I don't know what they are but I have a record of what they were last year. I would be hoping they have increased, but won't hold out hope. You won't be out of pocket on the mileage anyway. I hope the 50eur PPE expense is still there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I hope I get somewhere further away than 8km this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Landers11

I think placements are out today. Should be delivered today.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Got offered a JC centre 15km from my home. Also notice that I just have 1 collection day. Pretty sure when I applied, it stated a minimum of 2 collection days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Advertisement

10k from home. JC centre. One collection day, there til 20th.

Is it even worth my time I wonder?

I notice it says 121.60 euro for examination days. Is this halved if you only do a morning or afternoon exam?

No, it is the same rate whether you have one or two exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Hontou

Looks like there is only one collection day for JC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

I also only got offered a JC centre despite requesting twice in writing for a LC centre and making myself available for all of June - I contacted them but no joy. I think those of us with a JC centre and only one collection will be lucky to clear €800 after tax.

I have not personally heard of anyone who has got a Leaving Cert. centre.

All my peers (some of us superintending since Group Cert. days) have got JC.

JC was always considered to be the better one, but that was when it went on longer than the 8 days it goes on for now.

JC is fine if you're getting it a decent distance from home/work.

800 after tax is still good money for 9 days work in fairness.

I might call them on Monday and see if they have any centres further from home, but I certainly don't want a LC centre

After about a decade of long LC exams miles away from home, I'm actually glad to be doing JC relatively near home this year. Much less money yes, but with short exams and half days, I'm looking forward to getting a bit of sunshine. It's nearly always sunny for the duration of the exams then the rain starts the day it's over. If they have not increased the rate for driving in line with the increase in fuel prices, might be better off with a nearby centre than one far away too.

I won't miss the frantic scramble to catch the post that comes with LC.

Anyone know what the centre sizes are like now? Are we back to pre-pandemic numbers in the rooms?

Think so. Will check tomorrow in our place how many centre numbers we have in total and report back

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

I superintended last year for the first time and had LC obviously. I'm in the same school this year with LC again. Is it likely that I will be offered the same over the next few years if I apply again? Would have rathered JC this year

I know a few teachers who had the same positions for 4 or 5 years in a row.

People tend to get moved around centres every 3-4 years or so.

It tends to happen that you start on LC so you will most likely be LC for those 3 years until you're moved. However, what happened to me was that in year 3 all the JC superintendents were moved on to different schools so I then I got a JC centre

We are averaging out at 19 to a room, so pre-pandemic numbers

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

I've applied to be superintendent as I've done so numerous years the last decade. Got no letter Friday or today so rang them up and gave my pps number. She said I wasn't given any appointment. I'm really annoyed as I received an email in May saying I would be appointed and so didn't book holidays etc. She said to send an email off saying I'm still interested. Not impressed at all.

Jesus, that is bizarre and totally unacceptable. I know of someone who applied via email after the closing date, so what are they at accepting late applications if they can't fulfil the ones they'd already committed to? I wouldn't be impressed either if I were you

Is it common for centres to amalgamate for the last couple of exams if there isn't many students taking them? Would that mean some superintendents would not be needed towards the end even though their finishing date according to the letter is the last day?

Yes, centres get amalgamated, but all that end of things is organised prior to us getting our confirmed appointments, so if the letter says you're on til the last day, you are on until the last day. You may have other centres that are handing over to you if you are on until the end.

Ended up ringing them and was told that no centres would be amalgamated this year.

Has everyone received their 'General Instructions for Superintendents' booklet?

No. Will probably be in the envelope with the Day to Day instructions this year.

I received the booklet (88 pages) and link to the training videos in the email yesterday. They can be found on examinations.ie also.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I've done it before, so I'm alright but some people I know are doing it for the first time and they watched the video where they were told non stop about it, but hadn't got it.

I will let them know it's online.

Athlone seem a bit disorganised this year.

Advertisement