Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superintending 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

The calculating of distance from home versus work and going with whichever is shortest ... why exactly is this done? I heard it was something to do with teachers still technically having to be available for work up until end June. Is that correct though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

No, nothing to do with June, it’s the same for examiners at Easter and in July. It was brought in as a cost saving measure a few years ago. Unions fought it at the time but got nowhere.

travel expenses are in line with all public service staff, they aren’t going to change just for examiners.

I can understand the mileage thing at Easter - that is during term time. I have been told that June is also considered for some reason to be term time. But July and August are not.

Is the rule - in line with all public service staff - not that mileage can be calculated from home/place of work when the mileage undertaken is happening within the work calendar?

Fair enough that they would only pay you from work to where you are going during term time as ordinarily you would be going to work anyway. But in July? Why would that happen?

I'm superintending the deferred exams. As it happens, it is going to work out less mileage from my home to my locations, so that is fine because I am coming from home. However, I would hope that for anyone whose mileage from home is further away than from their school - I really hope they are getting the mileage calculated from their home because that is where they are coming from and July is not part of term time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

i know people who work close to athlone who won’t do the marking because they don’t get expenses from home and it isn’t worth it for them. From home they would get an overnight, but because their school is closer to athlone they don’t. It’s a ridiculous situation, and in my experience there is no leeway or common sense applied.

Even for the orals, you are expected to stay overnight if you are travelling 100 km or more. But if your school is en route, 50 km from home, you don’t get the overnight allowance, or the diesel money for the first half of the trip. I really think that’s so unfair. Any of my colleagues who live far from work now put a note in that they are only willing to examine if they are sent in the opposite direction from home than the school. It’s not worth their while otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Treppen

This thing about teachers being 'at work in June' is a load of horse do do.

You're contracted to the SEC which has nothing to do with the department of education.

Out of interest how do they levy this charge on retired teachers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

They don't as far as I know, same for unemployed teachers. They have to pay mileage from their homes. I agree it's a load of crap. My employment in my school has nothing to do with working for the SEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

.......Anyone get paid yet?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

No, but hoping to be this week. Finished 20th June and posted claim form that day.

Same as me, and last year they issued payment within 10 working days. So hoping it will be soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Platnium

Did JC centre, payment logged on my revenue for Friday 22nd

• Advertisement

I never remember that you can check this stuff on revenue. Must check now.

No sign of payment for supervising the JC Centre, but there is a payment logged for tomorrow for €1200 gross, so it looks like my advance for marking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Weird, wonder why everyone else's was 600! I've been correcting consistently for a fair few years now and LC HL! Stuff seems faster but less consistent, suppose that's to be expected

Where on ROS should I be able to see this? Thanks

When you go into your Manage your tax for 2022, whoever you are employed by will be listed. So your ETB/Dept and the SEC and any other employers. If you click on SEC it will show any payment they have entered, usually up to a week in advance of the date of payment.

Thanks for that rainbowtrout. I never knew this was possible. They've not scheduled my payment yet, which is fine, but I did also send back the form on 20th so hoping something might appear in there from them soon.

EDIT: Oh my lord, I shouldn't have looked! The amount of deducations is crazy!

Have looked up the following schemes but just wondering does everyone pay them - RBS, RAC, AVC, ASC. All pension-related, yes? I know the AVC is optional but what about the rest? Seems like A LOT of pension contribution each fortnight, but is that right? This is just in relation to my regular ETB pay by the way so apologies as I know this is probably technically off-topic

I only discovered that you could look at payments coming in the near future on revenue in the last year, it's great.

Pension is Superannuation 1, Superannuation 5, Widows and Ophans, USC. They might have different names on the payslip.

Thanks for that. I'll have to look into it - surely I'm not paying 185eur to widows and oprhans every fortnight 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

Does anyone know if the SEC makes payments every Thursday or every second Thursday? Got paid the last Thursday of July last year for superintending but nothing showing on revenue for this week.

• Advertisement

No, that doesn't sound right. W&O for me is €41 per fortnight

Revenue is showing payment for me tomorrow, it would be for supervising the exams based on the amount due to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

That's very quick, fair play to SEC, although I'm surprised it's tomorrow, I never remember any payments that didn't arrive on a Thursday.

I've nothing yet. Hopefully next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭galwayhooker

I still have nothing yet - only the text from SEC trying to sweeten us a little for delay in getting paid. I know they said 28 days after submitting claims form but it’s now 35 days for me. No other profession would you be left there wondering when are you getting paid. Some people don’t get paid during summer holidays and are relying on the payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hontou

I got paid, finished on the 20th. JC centre. Was in every day. I got paid more than double last year for a LC centre. The extra pick up days seem to be where the money is at. It's still easy money so not complaining about the pay (but am complaining about the tax and mileage rules).

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Landers11

Still no payment

Just checked revenue I'm due to be paid Friday. Submitted claim form on 20th. JC centre

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

Never got that text and I’m on day 35 today with no payment in sight.. they must have lost my number 😂 I’m optimistic it won’t be too much longer though. Touch wood!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Colliflower21

I worked a LC Centre, finished on the 22nd (was correcting for JC for had to finish a week early). Sent in my form on the 23rd of June, emailed yesterday to be told the form wasn't received until the 18th of July and it won't be completed for another 30 days. Very annoying as I'm on a mat leave contract for the year and SW is miniscule due to various factors. Anyone ever receive payment under 30 days?

Advertisement