Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superintending 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭doc_17

It does but there are no consequences to doing that. I applied for it for years and was never called. One year I got a call on the Friday school finished asking me to take a late call up as someone must have dropped off. I did it, applied again the next year but didn’t get it. I stopped applying then. I got a call again the next year and told them no way and asked why I didn’t get it the previous year and they wouldn’t/couldn’t tell me.

The story was that if you let them down that was that and you wouldn’t get it again. But I know a lady who took it the odd year, didn’t the next year, and kept doing that. She was called every year and got a LC Centre until the end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

It's a ludicrous situation. Make yourself available 3 weeks but we might only pay you five days??

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Landers11

I wonder which would be best. To ring them and tell them I would like to finish on a certain date or can't do a particular da or just wait and see what I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Random sample

I would send an email. They have all the information then and know what they are working with. If you wait to see what you get you may be letting them down unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

I find it very odd that your friends have told you younger members of staff aren't examining/correcting. Most friends and colleagues of mine in their 20's will either correct or superintend or both every year. As LPTs we need the extra income.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Well I am not going to name the schools, but I will say they are in two Leinster ETBs.

I am well aware of what it was like as a part-timer. Indeed I need the income even more now.

Why are the SEC having such trouble in Dublin? I don't know, I would have thought with higher mortgages/rent people would need the money more.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Ah its only two schools. I assumed you had meant a wider group.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's 2 ETBs, not two schools, but anyway, for some reason, the younger teachers are not interested in those schools, preferring holidays. I can't blame them really, if they are not too stuck for money. It's not a choice I would ever have made if I did not have to..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Work in a school where no young teachers care to do it either.

Does anyone have the rates for petrol that were paid last year or year before? I would hope that the rate will rise in line with the increased fuel costs so if anyone has the rates handy from last year could they post them up please?

It depends on engine size, I think it’s around 44 cent per km for 2000 cc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Same. The younger teachers in my school haven't travelled for the last few years. They're absolutely making up for lost time. None would do the orals over Easter. It was all us elder lemons. I'm meant to be doing the superintending but I have a thing one weekend , can't collect that Sunday, so will probably now have to pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Hontou

Just received the email from the SEC stating I have to make myself available until the 28th of June and they will send details of the school and days in early May.

My son is doing the Leaving Cert this year and I informed them of that when I applied. Presumably I will get a Junior Cert position then this year, which finishes on Monday 20th of June? Why do they ask the question on the form otherwise?

Generally that's what happens. You should not get LC

Can I ask if collection fee for boxes is taxable? Presumably?

Would that not just mean you won’t be sent to his school, rather than you can’t supervise any leaving cert exams?

No i think it means you don't get that exam incase you might leak but I could be wrong

Got the email too. My first time going for it. Any idea of when I should expect to hear what dates I will be working?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Treppen

Maybe it depends on the school/demographic, I don't know any of the younger teachers doing either. It's changed slightly in that most of these teachers from 20-30 are living (have to live!) at home with the folks so not under pressure for rent. They seem at bit more discerning than previous years, none of them are hanging around for short hour and hoc contracts during school term either. If it's not happening they're off to Dubai or elsewhere once their droichead is complete.

Once the new Leaving Cycle comes in I reckon there's going to be less pressure to find as many markers, especially as it's being streamlined with online marking and shorter exam papers.

I actually found the invigilating fairly full on, people think you just go in and dish out the papers, but there was quite a bit too it and would want a fairly diligent head on your shoulders (not to mention fighting with the post office to take your bag).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Treppen

Every penny has to be taxable.

It's a bit of an anomaly, you're considered a contractor under SEC. But yet they pay you like an employee.

I'd say the numbers applying would rocket up if you were allowed to file your own returns 🤣

I found it terribly boring. At times it can be stressful at times for various reasons. Im waiting to see what exactly they offer.

I enjoy teaching but im also bored with it. Superintending is quite boring too.

• Advertisement

Any idea when you find out about dates and centre after you have received the initial email?

Does anyone know the usual time slot when you are expected to pick up papers on the Tuesday or Sundays?

No never resigned a post. Not too worried if they never hired me again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

To answer some of the questions that have come up in the last day or two:

They say you will find out where you are placed by mid-May but I have never found out that early. Ever. It's always really last minute, usually the Wed or Thurs before the exams start (so that last week in school)

The time to pick up the boxes will depend on the school you get. Last year (first year there were multiple pickup dates) whatever pickup time you got for the first box was the time you got for all boxes/dates. You get very well paid for that day, but it does turn the superintending job into a 6-day week which is a lot. If you are on for the 3 collection days you will be 'working' on Father's Day, just an FYI. That will/won't matter to some. Last year my pickup time was 1pm and I was back home by about 3.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Layne

Am I right in assuming so if I had a prior appointment and was unavailable on Sunday 5th June that it will not affect my Superintending work??

Any insights greatly appreciated.

You should be OK with a previous arrangement on the 5th, as the first collection day is the 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Layne

Thank you spurious. Puts my mind at ease.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know the pay rates for mileage this year?

Advertisement