Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Swatch X Omega

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Ok take balenciaga, they have done a colab with crocs, crocs with heels and balenciaga branding essentially, price? £450. Crocs are £40? Balenciaga slides £500? So we have swatch at £50 for cheapest and omega moon watch £4000? Resulting in a colab costing €250, yes it’s a cheap piece of tat but that’s what the market wants. I met a swatch collector in Italy last year, I doubt she even had omega on her radar, but as a result of the colab she may do now. In her eyes it hasn’t cheapened omega, just opened her eyes to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Thats not a f you to watch snobbery though. It may introduce people to moonwatches but it works the other way as well , I won't buy another moonwatch now regardless of which edition it is because the moonwatch history is worth what ,250quid now? There are watch collectors that **** on seiko / timex etc but are bigging up a moonswatch , it doesn't make sense .

In your example you have an expensive product crossed with a cheap product resulting in a nearly the same price expensive product .With moon swatch , we have an expensive product crossed with a cheap product resulting in a cheap product .The balenciage name isn't now on a €50 pair of crocs cause the name is worth too much but that's what omega have done, they've slapped a good brand name on a cheap product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I could have purchased one but honestly did not like despite the branding. Does not feel special.

I decided to purchase a real Omega Moon Watch….now that feels special on my wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I was in the Swatch shop in Florence/IT over the weekend.

They let me try on the black one that was their display model and while it looked good at a glance it really felt cheap on the wrist and did not bear close scrutiny. There are so many other watches out there that would give me more satisfaction for the money.

The only one they had in stock was the pink one...so nah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Well, that didn't take long.

First Moonswatch up on Adverts for face value:

Bubble, it bursteth!

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

And still way over priced😂

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

As you can see from the offers, it is underpriced. The seller obviously doesn't know about the market value of these. Which is still well over retail. Amazing stuff as we are now in 6 months, the hype clearly hasn't yet worn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Peterd66

Was in London over weekend, check Oxford st Sat and none in. Was going by Swatch in Covent Garden Sun morning around 11.30 saw small queue and check with shop they had some in. I have 3 Omega vintage subs but still liked these, got Earth for me and Moon for son. Sold out soon after. Early impression is I like it, in same way I like a Casioak and Orient I have. Looks great on, though not sure how comfortable the strap is, will have to wait a few days on that to judge.

The carry in in the queue between the scalpers and door security "hassling" them but obviously in on the take was Oscar gold, if it wasn't so frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Peterd66

Typo there should read "3 Omega vintage seamasters".

• Advertisement

Utterly amazing that well over 6 months after the launch, these watches are still so desirable and in demand that people queue up for them. Nobody in this thread, lover or hater of the moonswatch, would have predicted that.

It really is amazing.Who would of thought that the hottest watch of 22 would be a plastic €250 toy watch .Even more amazing when you consider how much general watch frenzy has died down over the last few months.

Most of us have commented on how omega are flogging a dead horse when it comes to the moon landing connection but it seems whether it’s a €40k snoopy or cheap quartz , their marketing is on point.I do think it’s all at the cost of their heritage and the things watch collectors love about omega , but I’ve moaned enough about that here before and once the swatch group’s bottom line is improving, I doubt they care .

When we were in Paris there was a queue in the morning waiting for an unknown delivery time. Went back later in the afternoon and they still had the sun in stock but that was all.

Please be better than the last surprise release

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Are these now going at rrp?

Seen one listed at 250 in another forum.

Nope. A 30s google shows there are several on adverts, cheapest €349 and they already got offered full asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

In San Francisco at the minute and I went into the Swatch shop yesterday and it was the same story - only the yellow ones left.

There were 8-10 people milling around the display case and the manager came out to make the announcement that only yellow was left and there was a collective groan and the shop emptied, it was very funny actually.

If I didn’t already have the Pluto I’d have been tempted for curiosity’s sake

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

interesting to see what is on the way

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

7.3k.

You would Want to be a space cadet to pay it alright

LOL, who TF would pay €7.3k for that. The complete set of Moonswatches bought from a scalper at several times over retail would hold its value better than that watch at retail 😂

Most likely due to my strong dislike for the moonswatch my wife decided she wanted one . Had to get her the “mission to Uranus “ because I’m a child .

Lovely! Get rid of that strap though

Where did you get it?

€300 delivered from chrono, has original purchase receipt so assume it’s legit.I got her a white rubber strap for it as well for when the original gets too grubby.

I'd take the original off, keep it for when you're selling the watch, most buyers will want the original even though it's junk

I don’t think this will be a watch to be sold on , more a wear it till it doesn’t work and then bin it.I wouldn’t say that will be too long either going by the quality of strap and feel of it overall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Well what do you think of them now you have seen one, I think once you handle one you realise they are harmless trinkets not really worth having an opinion on....no?

Our problem is we never think we will sell a watch ever, when we buy one. But we are almost always wrong 😂

• Advertisement

Harmless trinket - I agree . Having now handled one I think it’s firmly in the novelty watch category.If these had been readily available online from day one ,I don’t think anyone would be talking about them now.

Not worth having an opinion on -Sure I have opinions on everything including my own opinions so no opinion wouldnt really be me.

But yes my opinion of these damaging omega and the moonwatch has changed .These are such a cheap feeling novelty item that they won’t hold the attention of anyone really interested in watches.They are simply not good enough of a product to be memorable or have a negative affect on the genuine moonwatch long term.Once everyone that wants one has got one , they will move on quickly enough from it.I’d say omega have bigger long term problems to deal with than the negatives I thought moonswatch may cause.

Advertisement