Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swatch X Omega

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

The Mission to the Sun version on Adverts has just sold, after quite a torrid back and forth, for €400. Not much of a premium compared to what is being seen online.

Interesting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Just like in cars and other areas the Irish market is an oddball one and doesn't tend to compare to other markets, mainly down to its size. In speciality stuff like watches the market here is tiny. You just won't get the same number of interested people, so I'm not that surprised tbh. If I had one and was one of those PITA buying to flip types(which in my humble have fecked the market and hobby) I'd be selling on ebay not adverts.

These came up this not an hour ago when I was with a client. His teeenaged daughter copped my Heuer Bund and asked "is that one of those cool new Swatches?". She made a decent job of hiding her disappointment when I told her it wasn't, but she thought the NATO strap was cool. 😁 It seems they're spreading the fashion for watches anyway. At least fashionable ones.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Edser

None in Covent Garden last weekend. They said they come in randomly and sell out quickly, so probably pot luck.

They had the display case, and while I didn't hold one, they seemed a little underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

There’ll be no official online selling, they’ll keep them in the named boutiques apparently for a few months more and that’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I heard that as well , It was from Omega .Im not 100% sure but i think it was their response to some questions on instagram

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Must have been from swatch not omega

It says nothing about them being limited though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭fat bloke

The more I've read and seen of these watches the more my interest has waned. At this stage I'd just about cross the road to look at one in a shop window. They look dreadfully plasticky in the video reviews. - Like something you'd get in a MacDonalds Happy Meal, according to one lad :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They look funky and charming in the flesh, but a large part of that is the Swatch plasticky effect. The strap is awful and seems to wear quickly and they look like a hundred quid watch, where you're paying 150 for the name and hype. For the same money, minus the hype and name you could get one of these.

A pretty cool mashup in quartz of WW2 Gallet and Hanhart chronos with a touch of Zenith on top. In a steel case with movable click bezel, superluminova, date/no date option, sapphire crystal with anti reflection, a smooth running chronograph hand, leather strap and comes with a watchroll. Just don't look at the caseback embossed Spitfire that looks like it's had a stroke. Never mind that the watches it's inspired by were trying to shoot down the same Spitfires, but still...

If I had 250 quid burning a hole in my pocket for a cheap and cheerful chronograph I'd be buying the Dan Henry way before the MoonSwatch.

EDIT, just checked on ebay, they also seem to hold their value, even increase it. Buy it for 250, sell it in a few years for 3 or 400.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,848 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yeah but that's not an Omega Moonwatch, now is it, Wibbs? 😁

I haven't had one in my hand but from the reviews the strap looks awful alright, but that can be fixed for €20-30 with a good quality NATO (from the likes of Bark&Jack)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

The problem with Dan Henry is that TGV shills them....an unforgivable trait in the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Ian OB

This might be of interest to some of ye. Haven't watched it yet myself. Hopefully will get a chance sooner rather than later.

https://youtu.be/Y79z2MBGaL0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I never said they were limited but if you are artificially constraining supply by going brick and mortar only in a few select locations for a set time period then that is de facto limited.

It really shows the cost cutting and throwaway aspect. Understandable for cheap tat like the MoonSwatch, but more expensive watches have the same lump of welded plastic inside. Also shows how much quality and design was in the older 27 jewel quartz chronograph movement. Then again the Swiss played a blinder here too as their marketing of "quartz has no soul" means they can get away with costcutting it down in ways they wouldn't dare with a "soulful" basic mechanical three hander, which would be cheaper to produce than that old quartz chronograph movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Well, well,

it had to happen.

LOL. I honestly hope he will get his asking price or something close to it!

If a popular rapper would show that case in one of his vids, it would double again in price 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭893bet

Zero chance IMO watch market is about to be on its knees in the next few months. There are no greater fools left.

Or you could go to this yahoo and buy them individually for less. Well, not much less. Interesting how the different planets havee very different "values" to the eejits. Pluto being the least fave, Neptune way higher and hovering around three grand. 😮🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I see my guess that they would not be released for general sale on the internet has come to pass. It was too much of a good thing to give up.

20K gbp for the full set, why not ask that? Spirit of free enterprise at work. I suppose it will sell at some margin. At least swatch have not made one like an impossible to get pokemon or base ball card. IIRC those baseball cards came free with cigarettes.

20k is a bit tone deaf....watch prices are tanking at the moment, like properly tanking. Watchfinder are slashing 10% off Rolex. Dealers not buying anything unless its half chrono prices and private buyers spooked and rare as rocking horse poo. Moonswatches cannot be in some bubble of their own. Hate to say it boys but the sky my be falling in. The Fitz prediction is that prices will rebound a little followed by a sharp dropoff.

Just before covid hit I reckoned we'd hit peak watch(covid was the shot in the arm to keep it alive for longer), to some resistance from some. Well when you're living in a bubble and invested in it, it seems it'll never end. Another sure litmus test to add to the others of every bubble in history. That prices are tanking at the same time as we're looking down the barrel of a possible recession, even depression because the czar in the Kremlin has a tiny one, is not a good sign. That's usually when people look at investments other than the usual.

I would say the Moonswatch in a lot of ways is the "rebound" Fitz and the rock the wave crashes on. While of course a steel sports Rolex is an eleventy bazillion times better watch than a Swatch, buyers - when there were actual buyers, rather than dealers, flippers and "investors" - were paying over the odds for steel sports Rolex for the exact same reasons; perception of rarity(which isn't), perception of "investment"(which works, until it doesn't) and flex appeal and the madness of crowds(a given). The cheap placcy Swatch gave you that for a twentieth of the price even at "investment" prices and at the same time lays bear the ridiculousness of paying well over the odds for an industrially produced item that's anything but rare. Rolex production figures are around a million watches per year. I'd bet Swatch haven't produced close to that with this MoonSwatch, yet some models are going for multiples of retail that no Rolex is by comparison.

As for the future I see it playing out the way the vintage watch world has. Stagnation. Dealers and flippers getting out with as much dignity as possible. A few hanging on for dear life at the old prices, but forced to give discounts on the quiet. Fewer on sale on the grey market and far fewer buyers and a serious contraction in interest in the mainstream(youtubers move to widen their interests). A return to the mean before the wave. Like my Doxa issued DH I mentioned on the "what watch you'd bring on holiday" convo. Prices ten years ago? 2-300 quid. Prices at the peak? 6-1000 quid. The few dealers left today? Still 6-1000 quid. Auction reality? Back to 200 quid again.

Fitz are you saying the 20K price is just badly timed, like at some point in the recent past you could ask that price and someone somewhere would hear the music and feel the beat?

Wibbs, I get what your saying on what a buyer might think he is getting when puts his money down on a moonswatch.

Do you think the moonswatch with it's hype has contributed to the overall softening of the watch market? Have swatch gone and disrupted things again.

In many ways I think they know pretty much exactly what they're getting NJ. The In Thing(tm), that nobody else has so they can flex that. Only they get the same feeling for a lot less than the cheapest Rolex. Or Speedmaster for that matter. The cheap placcy "throwaway" Speedy is currently far more popular and in demand than the real deal. I've seen them go for not too far off the price of a secondhand basic actual Speedy.

Certainly not off the price of a reduced. 2000. and at the peak of swivel headed lunacy well over the price of a Speedy, inc the myriad of special editions. Here's one where some gobdaw paid nine and half thousand for one. Now prices have fallen right down since the mass insanity, but only today twenty two people, who one supposes are not in rubber rooms paid over 2000 for one. What worries me is people like this can vote, have kids etc. Fools and their money. What vexes me is how they get it in the first place. 😁

I think what will affect the market(along with it being more dealers than punters) is the wider world seeing the hype, the queues, the madness, the "values", the fliippers "investing", the lack of supply. Basically the same as the Rolex bubble(minus the dealers that have sprung up like weeds in the last 3-5 years), but in cheap plastic microcosm and it will show up how daft that bubble is, only you're paying twenty times the money to get into it. The rapid tapering off of the Swatch values and the hype won't reflect well on the wider watch market either.

The 9 grand for the mission to the moon was an eyeopener. 74 days later they are only making two grand, the world has changed a lot in 74 days.

To me the moonswatch shines a light on the whole paying over retail, when swatch didn't make them available online they just threw fuel on the fire, to keep it going for some reason. I mean they only saw 250 euros from that 9 grand mission to the moon.Look they make fashion watches, fast fashion if they can help it.

All these bubbles end in some excess that people can't rationalize like a one bedroom labourers cottage in Toronto or Stoneybatter for 700 grand. It shocks the system and corrections follow. What I wonder is has the moonswatch contributed to the correction and did swatch know that might be the outcome.

Never been a good time for a 20k ask....even 1 hour after launch....but its worse at the moment thinking you can get that mean you dont have a notion whats going on.

• Advertisement

I suppose the sellers saw what wibbs saw today an individual moonswatch selling for 2200 and figured a set of 11 was worth 11 times that. The mission to the moon would be my pick, if pushed.

Advertisement