Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swatch X Omega

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭893bet

I like how they look but couldn’t wear something that light and cheap feeling (if they feel as bad as I have heard).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭whippet

I'd wear cheap watches quite a bit .. as I don't like risking scratching and damage from every day life with kids, dogs, sports etc

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I suppose there's 'cheap' and then there 'feels cheap'.

I wear cheaper Seikos and the like when doing sports but they don't feel cheap. Which doesn't seem to be the case with these Moonswatches. (For a second there I couldn't remember the phrase 'Moonswatch' and was about to write 'Swatchmaster' 😂)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Was looking at these and thinking of trying to-picking one up.. but I can get a Bulova Lunar a bit cheaper.. thoughts?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

The Bulova lunar pilot is a pretty good Chrono with space age tie in, it kinda took the back door into space. The quartz version has Ultra High Frequency quartz at 262Khz, I have one in a snorkel II and it's very accurate. It does high step rate sweep of the second hand, on the pilot you'ld need to run the Chrono to see that. For a hundred fifty euros more than a moonswatch, I think it's a much better buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I haven’t held a moonswatch but I don’t like them . Cheapest of parts , crap strap , cheap movement, everything that is wrong with the hype watch market all in one package.Costs €250 and I’d say a tenner of that is for parts.

On the other hand I have the lunar pilot and a 1861 moonwatch .The lunar pilot is a very good substantial watch .It does feel a bit top heavy on the wrist and is a big watch for a 20mm strap . The strap that comes with it is actually the most comfortable for me but it still feels large for the strap .With the lunar pilot you’re getting a better movement, better finishing because there is no measurable finishing on a moonswatch , a version of a watch that has actually been in space so has earned its history and a watch that is made of a stainless steel not plastic or bio ceramic as swatch like to call it.

lunar pilot vs moonswatch is as simple a decision as real watch or toy watch.

Poor quality pic of both below

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Thank Dog I booked the morning off

Post edited by Birneybau on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I would tend to agree that the Lunar Pilot is a superior watch, but its heritage, apart from that engraving, is as dubious as any cynical cash-in.

The only thing it shares with the original worn by Dave Scott is that it too is a lash up that hides its origins.

Don't get me wrong, the 262Hz movement is a gem, but it has absolutely nothing to do or in common with the Universal Geneve watch that was passed off as a Bulova that went into space and was worn on the moon.

The Modern Lunar Pilot is bigger, and takes only minor inspiration from the original in terms of layout and design, and has a date window.

Later editions dropped the date, changed the font, adjusted the markers and several other efforts to conform more to the source watch, but still have only a passing resemblance.

In similar fashion, the MoonSwatch bears only a passing resemblance to the actual moonwatch, but then one might ask which one? A 321 power CK2998? An 861 powered 145.022? That pared down quartz movement can't do justice to any of line.

I think the MoonSwatch is lot like the current trend in the automative industry to revive old brands and slap them on any old thing to enthuse new owners, such as the abominations now running around with the name "Mustang" emblazoned on them. Not far from the Nirvana or Ramones t-shirts you can now buy in Dunnes Stores.

The MoonSwatch to me is a bit of fun, even if doubley overpriced. The Lunar Pilot is more of a cynical cash-in that although has resulted in a better watch, is still more redolent of the mercenary.

Or so I think, but WTF do I know?

As you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wouldn't be the biggest fan of the lunar pilot. I think it's the baton hour markers, they're just too thick and make a big watch look extra clunky. The 1861 in that photo beside it look incredibly elegant in comparison.

Saying that, I'd take one over a Moonswatch any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Ryath

Had a chance to get one last weekend in London. Was going to Covent Garden Store assuming I'd just get to have a look at the display case. There was one person outside queuing so joined in. More people quickly joined behind us. Apparently word was out they had just got a delivery this was 3 in the afternoon on a Sunday which seemed strange. Lots of young guys in the queue you'd really wonder how many actually want the watch or just buying it for a quick profit.

Got in the store after a few minutes. Three or four people in front had got one. They only had the Earth or Saturn, don't like the Saturn but I was slightly tempted by the Earth I do like the blue dial but I'm not gone on the pea green case. I had decided before I'd only take the Moon or Mercury and there's a few others I'd take before the Earth model.

Slightly regretted not taking it, probably will be my only chance to pick one up at retail. They were rushing people through so didn't really have time to think about it. Probably should have taken and worn it for a bit and offered it here at cost. I'm not a flipper though and I hate scalpers so was never going to buy one just to make a quick buck.

Was in the Oxford store later was quieter so had a chance to have a proper look at them in the case. The sales guy said they get deliveries most mornings but it's random what they get the Moon version is one of the rarest.

Was regretting it for a day or two afterwards but ended up getting a good deal on a Seiko Padi Turtle, a watch that I've had my eye on for a while. I was happier putting the money towards that for what is a much better watch for not much more money.

My 12 year old daughter does like her Swatches, she has two and would like more but she wants a Baby G next. I may be a bad influence there!😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,844 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Seiko Padi Turtle is one of the best watches you could get for a few hundred quid and the moonwatch one of the worst. Still you should have bought it if only to have a free play with it and to give it to someone on here at retail as you planned, they would be happy out too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Present from my son for helping him with his university course:

I like it, apart from the strap which is pretty much unusable so changed that for a quick release nylon job from Archer. The Bond suits it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

So got a Mission to Venus in France in a random swatch store, last one left. Comes with a very short strap as standard as its designed for "smaller" wrists ie...girls. Strap is horrible and I dont know how its supposed to work at all. Unless you are the perfect size there will be exposed velcro that will get very dirty quickly. Swapped for a 15 euro amazon rubber strap.

Pros

• Funky design is just a copy of a speedmaster. They all have a different thing like this one has cutout indices on the bezel and oval subdials.
    • Fun colors, I would be more into the different colored ones than the ones that look like actual production speedmasters.
    • Fairly cheap, althouth twice the prices of the next most expensive swatch watch.
    • Certainly en trend at the moment, the hot watch for the moment.
    • Says you are into watches without also saying you are rich or a douche
    • Dial is well done, lacks the depth of a real Omega but its crisp and well printed.

Cons

• Very cheap feeling, the bioceramic is very like 3D printed resin or PLA, lighter than legobrick plastic. Has a blasted texture that would not be to my tastes. Not sure how it will age.
    • Stock strap is horrible and I dont know how its supposed to work, there is exposed velcro on the outside that will catch all the dirt, shocking design choice.
    • Hard to tell the time, think the lack of depth to the dial kinda washes the hands into the subdials and I find it hard tell the time certainly on the light faced ones.
    • Pushers feel and setting action is really light and nasty. Movement is certainly cheap and nasty.
    • Big watch for one that for small wrists, dimensions are almost exactly a Speedy pro but its a bit thinner.
    • Totally disposable, just a thing to own and throw out at end of life

Fitz Conclusion.

Not really worth 250 euro if you have better watches. Its not really a watch I would want to wear but it is a bit of fun as a beater. I might get a different colour like a Pluto or Mars and a nicer strap. This one is for wifey she says its nice an light for tennis and she is used to wearing mans size watches. All in all not worth the hype, but a bit of fun. Having seen them and buying this one, I am totally agnostic about them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Nice report, might consider one for the wife as you mentioned, btw.. before Wibbs gives out.. I couldn’t edit the post to remove the pic 🫢😝

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dub50

Swatch were selling the Swatch X Omega outside Dundrum Shopping Centre at lunch time today from the back of a car, (a Swatch branded fiat 500) parked outside the main entrance. They had the Sun, Earth and Pluto ones left, not great colours so did not bother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Was in New York and managed to grab a Pluto, had a selection of colours but Pluto was what I’d wanted. The amount of people they walked in asking while we were in the shop was crazy, we were chatting to the salesman for a while before asking where as anyone who walked in and asked straight away was getting a no stock story. A little politeness went a long way it seems.

@C0N0R - interesting stuff but weird they didn't sell them to those people. Does the Swatch group not want the huge margin they make on each and every one of them? It's not like they are a limited edition, they seem to be a money printing machine. I doubt they cost much more than about €10 to make (by the millions)

Put up some pics!

Who'd have thought these watches were still hot 5 months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Have I missed the possibility of getting one of these at all? Are they still hard to purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I just have, after posting! I hadn't realised there was such snobbery around them. I think I'll pass with that being the case. I haven't kept up on the happenings as I'd say this might be my first visit to the forum in about 12 months. I've had to keep out as I'm far to impulsive a shopper and the forum has been dangerous for my wallet in the past.

• Advertisement

I don't know if it's snobbery, it's just a hot watch, super hyped up. And only a few hundred quid, so fairly harmless. In my view it's just a bit of fun and if anything, it has created a gazillion new watch enthusiasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

There is no snobbery around them at all, they are just hard to get...but gettable. Some of the Omega fans have an issue with the branding as its so very far away from a real omega, but its a grand fun watch, and pretty cool for 250 euro. Not going to blow your socks off but not total dross either.

I think it’s very much a case of they will sell out everyday so they can pick and choose who they sell too. To be fair the first swatch shop i walked into that morning the sales assistant said hi how are you to me, and the first thing out my mouth was does your have the moonswatch and she remarked “I’m great thanks, and no we don’t” so I’m curious is they actually did and are just choosing customers based on attitude. Must try that in the Rolex boutique! I think the sales assistants are loving the attention and the mini power trip potentially!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭893bet

I wonder if those walking in, walk in every day and ask the same question. Some of them may be “known” to the shop at this point. But maybe not given the size of NY.

Ye are snobs if ye want one. Its a total shitter that none of ye would look at if it wasn’t omega branded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

There was a good article on the moonswatch on the New York times. Hopefully this link is not behind paywall.

In essence - this watch going viral is good for the watch industry as it reignites interest in watches amongst the masses.

Time square was the first one we were in so definitely tourist central. I’ve only opened the box to have a look, certainly doesn’t look high quality!

You are completely right , its absolute shite and it baffles me how any one with the slightest knowledge about watches can think it has any positives or is good for watch collecting in general. The only group this is good for is the swatch group.

That’s the thing, it’s two fingers to the watch establishment snobbery, the people who hate it are the exact people it’s meant to antagonise. Yes it’s absolutely lining the pockets of the swatch group, but brand collaborations are very in at the moment, Adidas and Gucci etc. I’d say people who know very little about omega don’t see it as cheapening the omega brand, more bringing brand awareness

• Advertisement

it’s two fingers to the watch establishment snobbery, the people who hate it are the exact people it’s meant to antagonise

in what way though ? if it was a high quality product at a low price you could say it cuts through the snobbery and delivers but it’s complete opposite to that.Even a few of the YouTubers who jumped on band wagon about how good it is at launch have now realised it’s ****.It’s a hype product no doubt but if you don’t follow hype ,what’s interesting about it?it’s a plastic version of a watch that costs 30 times more .Everyone says it’s fun but so is a g shock and a g shock is a much better watch.

Each to their own and that’s one of the good things about watch collecting., Even if I don’t like a watch or a brand I can usually see the logical reasons for people liking it or the usp of it but all this seems to show is that majority of people like the watches they are told to like .

Advertisement