Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storm Eunice - Friday 18th February - Wind & Snow Potential

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

A slight southern correction on 6z GFS. I've pasted below the equivalent frames from the 0z and 6z

Unless you have a crystal ball showing you how this turns out it seems pretty premature (not to mention unhelpful) to be making such a post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

It was an observation of how in recent years there was a prevailaing attitude that if it didn't happen in Dublin then it didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭mumo3

As a Corkman I'm as fond of a bit of Dub bashing as the next man😉, but I do think that assertion you make isn't right about the weather forum. Many of our best posters such as Kermit, GL, Weathercheck (before he turned to the dark side!) and many others are Dubs who frequently go out of their way to post about events that clearly will not affect Dublin but they do so as they are weather enthusiasts. Sure there is the odd Dublin d***head posting here but there are also Cork and Limerick and Galway etc d***heads too. Dublin hasn't got a monopoly on them.

Back to the matter at hand, and right now Dublin's chances of snow are far better than my chances down here.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Keep it south please, the very strong winds are looking a bit too close to where I am in Cork for my liking. The greenhouse won't survive what some models are predicting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

yellow wind snow warning for friday.

YAWN...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Baybay

Anyone feel we got a bit of a storm taster last night?! Coastal Wicklow. No idea of direction or speeds, real weather boffin here but woke up hearing the wind buffet against the Velux about 2am. Few things that have previously been happy enough out there had been scattered around in the garden. Great craic this morning trying in the wind to put what had been the bungee secured cover back on the patio furniture! Still haven’t spotted where one of the solar lights ended up. Really looking forward to tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

I know people are fixated on the possibility of possible presistant snow, but does anyone else find it very interesting if we had a "Snow-rain-Snow" event? (East coast specific here) - Could make for a really interesting day lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭pauldry

I reckon the low centre will track right over the Munster area with rain and wind and some snow further North. Some gusts of 140kph likely on South Coast. Rest of country could get battered or lead a charmed life like many storms. May be Red South Orange Atlantic Yellow Rest and White North!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Cork2021

It’s early… yellow warning on a Wednesday for a Friday.. more upgrades to come I reckon!

85kmh here in Arklow overnight

Doc posted strong/stronger in Greystones

Its often forgotten how windy it gets near coasts,even the east in a westerly storm

Friday could be a sleep and you'll miss it. Stormy from 5am to 9am then gone. Could be even shorter like 2 hours. Here's Windy at 7am

Currently a whopping 15.4c here in Arklow

Now 15 5c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Yes, definitely felt it here (east County Galway). Very strong winds battering the house most of the night and not a whole pile of sleep had. I was saying to myself if this before the storm, what are we going to have when Dudley and Eunice hit 😨

Would love a bit of snow but I'm dubious as to if it'll happen. Not keen on the strong wind at all...but if it went to orange and the schools didn't open I'd be ok with that 😏

Speaking of that kind of thing...I always thought it was only a red weather warning caused the schools to close? However before Christmas it was Orange, anyone know why that's changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

I think that may have been any excuse to close the schools without saying it was due to covid 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Piltown ACS in Kilkenny 16.2c at 10.30am! I'd say there's a fohn effect going there coming off the Knockmealdowns/Comeraghs.

Currently 13.3c in south Laois. Top gust last night 39mph.

Piltown gone to 16.6c at 11am - satellite loop suggests cloud broke there for a time, so fohn effect it is!

Weather Observations Website - Met Éireann | Weather Observations Website - Met Éireann

Lots of stations to the Northeast of any High Ground/Mountains getting 15c and above, most other places 12c to 13c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A slight nudge north overall this morning which means most of the snow for Ulster and Connaught and some that wrapping back around in to Munster and Leinster later in the morning. As others have mention the wind threat has increased a bit overnight.

Still some changes to come, still enough divergence on the track. Hopefully one way or another by later this evening it will be easier to make calls on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Some very very strong gusts of wind now...have the wheelie bins down at the end of the driveway and not too confident if the few rocks on the top of the recycling is going to help much!

Alex Deacon from British Met Office is live soon on youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Hmm Dudley and Eunice...don't do it for me...missing a certain je ne sais quoi 😁

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Was going to go for lunch with the wife but we decided on a quiche in the oven instead.

Wind and rain here in North kerry. Just tell me when I can go out again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Doesn't seem to be too bad here in South Wicklow at the moment. Gusty and showery but nothing too wild. I think it was possibly worse here wind-wise last night. Friday morning could be a different beast though by the sounds of things!

It'll be Thursday morning and even then we won't be sure Some people in Britain on Twitter think its heading to France and Netherlands. My phone has sleet for Sligo most of day Friday but snow for Leitrim. Currently sunny and 13c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The latest ecm is underwhelming with the low not getting as strong.

So for now it's a holding pattern with nothing certain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very squally in Kildare now I must say with driving rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

A bit wild here (South Dublin) definitely not putting a toe out in that 😅 Rather the possibility of snow Friday 🤞😁

Major forecast on bbc just there. Said it could be the worst storm in decades for Southern UK. Also mentioned likely red warnings being issued. Also showed the East of Ireland covered in snow. He also mentioned that I'm parts of North UK the snow would be so heavy that snowploughs would struggle to keep roads open!!

Quite the forecast!!

Lunchtime BBC one forecast graphics have a huge swathe of snow on the front Friday right down the centre and East of the country from Belfast to Waterford with 70 to 80mph winds in the east and southeast 😱🤣😱

Chris Fawkes said the strongest storm in decades

Just to add to above Chris Fawkes also said people in North UK could get stranded in their cars such will be the speed of snowfall

Wow!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Saw the forecast myself and he certainly wasn't playing it down. Quiet the ramp actually. Maybe this time tomorrow we will have a better idea. All possible scenarios still on the table.

I think you can watch BBC news 24 live I think,he's on again at 155

In about 4 mins

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-africa-27061741

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I still think this will be a "strong" storm for us with some snow (on top of ground that got to 16c today it won't be sticking). However I think he is bang on for the UK. This is going to be an absolute B*stard for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Strongest storm in decades. Calm down BBC UK Met Office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yeah that sounds like a very OTT forecast from the BBC there. Although wouldn’t mind watching it 😁

Ha yes,he repeated the same ramp just now

He's on again at about 225/230 on the link I provided above

One small caveat though,that forecast is from meteogroup

If looks at data from all models and reaches a consensus that's not necessarily the same as the UK met Office

Chris is an avid Skier too and a snow bunny in the Evelyn Cusack mould

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Hirlam 06z looks like it took every model's low and track, and joined them all together into one complicated entity. If it verified it would remove strong winds from the south coast and take them into southwest England eventually (beyond its 60h run).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

• Registered Users Posts: 8 snowaholic

Jeep full of diesel - Tick

Snowboard and gear at hall door - Tick

Eye’s glued to boards for updates - Tick

👀👀

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I think the WRF is perhaps a good balance of all the models, Some away further S and UKMO much stronger, small bit of a move further N in the track I think in general.

UK looks to get a right doing.

The E and SE could get some very strong winds yet.

Think looking at Orange along SE, S, SE and maybe E at this stage, probably wouldn't take much more to raise the level for Kerry, may end up Orange Wind warning for much of the country for a time.

Don't forget this storm is still deepening on approach and on transit of the country so unleashing its full force. It looks like the NW'ly winds will be the strongest across the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Maybe something like this as a rough guide for snowfall accumulations.

I know MT has touched on this, but if it snows in some of the places in inland Leinster mentioned as having temps of 16c+ today, will that be a record turnaround in less than 48 hours for this island?

It looks like this is the type of storm we have avoided down through the years, one was bound to eventually hit the British isles and Ireland.

Fortunately or unfortunately its looking like we miss the most intense part of it. Its strange how when we do get these rare vicious systems they seem to always strike at the heart of the uk and not Ireland.

still weve got a bit of aul wet sloppy snow and some gales to look foward to.

Please stay put for now baby. Reading these forecasts is making me nervous. 3 days overdue 🥴

• Advertisement
Advertisement